• We’re excited to be up and running and seeing visitors old and new! For those returning, reset your password and you’re good to go! For new members, introduce yourself here. You can also be in with a chance to win a set of Fyne Audio Speakers and try to become a part of our Ultimate Audiophile Playlist here!

Tidal

Ramborme

Jan 14, 2020
I left Tidal, now I use Spotify and Qobuz,Tidal doesn't give me suggestions near as good as Spotify does,Tidal try's to force too much rap and hip hop, I'm older, Spotify adapted to my choices, and Qobuz sounds better on my system don't need MQA Dac for hi res,Qobus does need some work, I'm in the US, sometimes it's slow to load and it's missing a lot of songs I have on my Spotify playlists.

Jan 14, 2020
Way overpriced for what's on offer.
Couldn't agree more! Brings up the question whether Spotify has some sort of interest in Tidal and they're splitting up the market......(Spotify stays out of Hi-Res, Tidal skimming it), Interesting to know what US, EU and (future) British competition authorities' opinions are with regard to this matter!

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
I’ve never tried Tidal so can’t really comment on how good or not it is.

I’m currently almost one month in to Amazon Music and have to say I’m really impressed with it. The HD and Ultra HD catalogue is excellent. This is one subscription I will keep I think and at £12.99 a month (I’m already a Prime member) I think it’s good value.

Mad Bob

Jan 14, 2020
I'm gobsmacked people are complaining at £20 a month for unlimited lossless streaming and download. I'm pushing 50 now and remember paying 11.99 for one CD whilst at university in the early 90s. I would have killed for this then, and utterly love it now.
This + my own rips + Roon is pretty much perfect to feed my Sonos / Uniti Nova / chrome sticks.

Reactions: Blackstarr52

Blackstarr52

Jan 15, 2020
I'm gobsmacked people are complaining at £20 a month for unlimited lossless streaming and download. I'm pushing 50 now and remember paying 11.99 for one CD whilst at university in the early 90s. I would have killed for this then, and utterly love it now.
This + my own rips + Roon is pretty much perfect to feed my Sonos / Uniti Nova / chrome sticks.
I am right there with you! I have had the service for a few years and would never settle for less. I even have the Family Plan and top-tier streaming. I am quite pleased.

EricLeRouge

Jan 15, 2020
Tidal is great, but I would like to remind a few facts:

- No one is checking the actual "high resolution" of the files that Tidal is making available to its subscribers. Interestingly, some music is available in bitrates that are highly unlikely (e.g. some music was remastered @176.4 kHz by publishers on DVD-Audio, and is now re-sampled at 192kHz — a change that is not trivial by any means, since 192 is not a multiple of 176.4, 88.2, 44.1, etc).

In my view an analysis of the actual quality of the files (e.g brickwall filters, etc) should be seriously considered when discussing Tidal, Qobuz, Hi-Res Audio. I am not suggesting that Tidal has worse files than Qobuz (I have no reason to think so), but having checked the quality of many so-called MQA master titles, I feel that the quality of the so-called masters varies significantly, with a lot of music which clearly doesn't sound right for the nominal bitrates advertised (this is particularly obvious for a lot of old RnB, jazz stuff from before 1980)

A note on Tidal's pricing - Tidal charges €19.99 for 30 days, which in practice represents €0.6663 a day or €20.28 per month (if you subscribe on the 1st of January of any given year, your 13th payment to Tidal that year will be on the 360th day of the year — people with fixed pension dates beware). If you factor the €0.28 per month per subscriber for 1 million subscribers, this represents a cool €280.000 per month, and €3.36 million per year... :)

Big Bob

Jan 15, 2020
I have been using Tidal for quite a while now and love it. I do most of my listening in the evening using headphones. The masters stream I find very open and revealing. Talking to my friend, he asked “what’s the difference” to which I said listen to the bits between the notes. The ambience is much clearer and as such adds depth to the recording.
I have made a number of playlists for various situations. The main one contains about 3000 tracks (not all masters). I have also downloaded this playlist to my phone for listening whilst walking or in the car. For what I get from it Tidal is good value for money and it takes up less shelve space and weight than all those CDs, albums and singles.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts