THX system enquiry....Anything wrong with my system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Recently i bought 3 LCR750 THX select MK sound speakers....and i connected in to my pioneer sc-lx71 amp and set all my speakers to small speakers and 80khz according to the manual. But after watching a few blu ray movie like avatar, King kong and transformer i found that it didnt impress me much example like the details and bass. I thought Miller & kriesel speakers was one of the best surround speakers?....is it not enough power from my amp?....pls anyone help?

Maybe i had tried the M&K s-150 active system before at GECKO ...you really can feels all the details of gun shot and bang and boom from sub in from of you like u're in the recording studio.

Pioneer sc-lx71, Sony s360 blu ray player, LG PS3000 50', QED SR HDMI, QED silver cables.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
garychf: Recently i bought 3 LCR750 THX select MK sound speakers....and i connected in to my pioneer sc-lx71 amp and set all my speakers to small speakers and 80khz according to the manual. But after watching a few blu ray movie like avatar, King kong and transformer i found that it didnt impress me much example like the details and bass. I thought Miller & kriesel speakers was one of the best surround speakers?....is it not enough power from my amp?....pls anyone help?

As stated, if they're brand new, they'll take a good 40/50 hours to run in and sound their best. Even so, they should be displaying advantages over normal hi-fi speakers from the off. I suspect there is something in the set up that is incorrect or needs tweaking. Are you using THX? Cinemas play their systems at Reference level (0dB on your amp if it is all set up correctly), and it's at this point that films are usually mixed, and THX has full effect. If you listen at more reasonable levels, THX will usually make the speakers sound far more dull - at Reference level it makes them sound smoother. If you switch out THX, I bet you'll hear a major improvement.

King Kong should sound especially good as it is mixed on MK. Anyone's system that doesn't sound good with Avatar has some problems. Transformers is a weird one. It's soundtrack is not great. It has a few areas where it sounds excellent, but on the whole the mix is pretty lame. The second Transformers sounds far better - just a shame about the movie.....

Maybe i had tried the M&K s-150 active system before at GECKO ...you really can feels all the details of gun shot and bang and boom from sub in from of you like u're in the recording studio

Don't forget that Gecko's demo rooms are purpose built - no one will have a living room that sounds like that. Chances are they'll be using an expensive Audyssey add on room EQ too, which further improves what you'll be hearing. The rest of us have a normal living room, with normal furniture and furnishings which affect what you're going to hear. Also, which amplifier was being used to drive the 150's you heard? Chances are it'll be an expensive pre/power, whichwill also make the 150's sound far better than using them with an integrated AV amp.

The combination of purpose built rooms, expensive in depth room EQ, high quality amplification, and hearing the 150's not the 750's, is understandably going to make you feel a little disappointed when you get home.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
garychf:Recently i bought 3 LCR750 THX select MK sound speakers....and i connected in to my pioneer sc-lx71 amp and set all my speakers to small speakers and 80khz according to the manual.

Is that all you've done though? Have you run the Pioneer's auto calibration to set all the speaker levels etc correctly?

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
It takes a bit of work to get the MACC set up right before it sing's properly. I did a bit of searching and found this very useful.

1) Set Reciever to MCAAC preset 1 (M1). Now Run Auto
MCAAC
with mic in you listening position (I taped the mic to the top
of a two foot long shoe horn, and stuck the shoe horn inbetween the
couch cushions, so the mic is right where my ears are during listening).

2) Go into Manual Sp Setup and change the SP settings if
neccessary(crossover to 100hz for me and speakers to small)

3) Now re-run Auto MCAAC but select custom, and then select Keep
SP settings

4) Now you have an Auto MCAAC calibration saved to M1 (....note: you
must select which preset you want Auto MCAAC to save calibration data to
before you enter the audio setup menu.) Now go into Data
Management--------> Data Copy
and copy M1's data to M2 and also
to M3. Now you have carbon copies of this calibration in M1-M3.

5) Now go into Manual MCAAC--->EQ Professional------>Reverb
Measurement
and get a reading on the the frequency response
characteristics of your room. Be sure to select EQ OFF(standing
waves not controlled for via MCAAC fliters) in the Reverb Measurement
menu
because you don't want the standing wave adjustements (EQ on)
to be factored in to the room reverb measurments. Also make sure you
haven't moved the mic.

6) After test tones are done, go into Manual MCAAC--->EQ
Professional------>Reverb View
, and you can analyze the
frequency response of individual channels at various frequencies. Based
upon that data, you would select the appropriate capture delay time for
MCAAC to capture data during for the upcoming EQ calibration.

Change that time frame under Manual MCAAC--->EQ
Professional------>Advanced EQ Setup
to whatever you decide is
the appropriate capture delay time ....(Pioneer recommends 30-50 ms,
but they encourage you to analyze the data under reverb view first and
refer to the advanced MCAAc software manual for analysis purposes).
Note: the default capture delay time is than 80-160 ms.

7) Change to MCAAC preset 2 (M2) before you run the new advanced EQ
calibration with the new capture time. Go under Manual MCAAC--->EQ
Professional------>Advanced EQ Setup
to start the advanced EQ
calibration, and MCAAC should make a more accurate calibration since it
will now capture sonic information sooner after the speakers output
sound, and get a read on what the frequency response is of the speakers
themselves, and not the speakers and all the reverb which accumulates as
time passes. (Default capture time is 80-160 ms and thus collects more
reverb and less true speaker reading)

Now you should have an accurate calibration. Also, now you can easily
compare the Auto MCAAC EQ effects that are stored in M1 with the
advanced EQ effects in M2 while listening to content with a simple
button press on the remote. You could also juice the base a few db in
M3, and also compare running the base a bit hot to a flat calibration
that you have in M1 and M2.

At first i wasn't overly impressed but once i used this to calibrate the SC-LX71 it was much better. Now i just think it sounds awesome.

On the base front what sub are you using ? and what rears are you using are they ok at 80hz ? this could make a difference as well.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys....i had tried to setup the amp by how v1c teaches me and turn it to 0bh volume ...very impress with it now...blast me away with all the movie.....everything must be properly setup b4 use.....thanks again guys....very helpful. Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Note that 750THX is 4 Ohms rated speakers. I too have the same speaker set with Surround 550THX. The surrounds are 8 Ohms rated and the front and the center channel are 4 Ohms rated. Thus when connected to a 6~8 Ohms rated receiver, it will make the receiver to over heat and also the sound may seem muddish. Try to pair them with a 4 Ohms receiver you can feel the difference..

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

Are you using THX? Cinemas play their systems at Reference level (0dB on your amp if it is all set up correctly), and it's at this point that films are usually mixed, and THX has full effect. If you listen at more reasonable levels, THX will usually make the speakers sound far more dull - at Reference level it makes them sound smoother. If you switch out THX, I bet you'll hear a major improvement.

Absolutely spot on, David. As usual.

A

Anonymous

Kamal66077:Note that 750THX is 4 Ohms rated speakers. I too have the same speaker set with Surround 550THX. The surrounds are 8 Ohms rated and the front and the center channel are 4 Ohms rated. Thus when connected to a 6~8 Ohms rated receiver, it will make the receiver to over heat and also the sound may seem muddish. Try to pair them with a 4 Ohms receiver you can feel the difference..

I also have 4ohm speakers and research has given conflicting advice as to whether to run at 8 or 6 ohms

Sometimes the impedance can be selected on the amp , not sure if this is an option on the Pioneer LX71 ,but if it is you could select to 6ohms as the nearest match also check the amp spec it might also provide more power.

David is the expert as far as M&K & THX is concerned

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts