Throw your Sony Media Player against the nearest wall!

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Okay it's probably just me, but...

Having spent the weekend trying to get the Sony SMP-N100 Media Streamer to find my WD Mybookworld NAS, I've given up in despair!

The Sony (wirelessly) communicates fine with the router (Orange Livebox) and my laptop (Sony Vaio/Vista), so downloading/streaming content from either the web or the laptop isn't the issue. The WD Mybookworld is plugged into the router: The laptop sees it fine, and it's apparently the network server of choice according to Sony's own website (so much so that they actually sell it themselves).

So why can't the Sony Media Player see the thing, far less find any of the files on it - accepting of course that once it does find the server and sees the media on it, it's unlikely to be able to play any of the formats there. There's lots of web comment about how the DLNA implementation appears to be so bad that it won't actually play many of the file formats it's supposed to... but never mind that... I just want the Sony to be able to see the server for now (it's supposedly just as bad with the Sony 370 and 570 Blu-ray players...).

All the software/firmware has been updated today (Sony, Livebox and WD Mybookworld), and all the permissions have been fiddled with... but to no avail. Any clues, ideas, thoughts as to what I may be doing wrong? Or is it that I just have to wait for Sony to sort out their software issues as many others on the web seem to think?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Have you got Twonky Media Server enabled on the NAS? The SMP-N100 I have here has no problems seeing any of the NAS devices I have, including a WD MBW, from which it will stream music files, video and JPEG pictures.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Have you got Twonky Media Server enabled on the NAS? The SMP-N100 I have here has no problems seeing any of the NAS devices I have, including a WD MBW, from which it will stream music files, video and JPEG pictures.

Yes, I did check that Andrew, but I've been around in so many circles trying to get this thing working... it may have reset when I reloaded/updated the WD server software earlier today, so I'll check that again once this headache has cleared! Thanks... it's encouraging that you've got the exact same combination actually working!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts