Three dream systems for lovers of high-end hi-fi

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
"Why are all 3 turntable based? I would have loved to see one CD/streaming system. "

Visit your local HMV, there is a mass of records, hardly any CD's, vinyl has beaten the poly carbonates, just as Linn's Ivor predicted when CD was introduced.

I agree with the comment regarding streaming though. My sources now are a Pink Triangle turntable and a Roon endpoint, controlled via my iPad, iPhone or PC.

gregchick

Nov 18, 2021
Visit site
CD still outsells vinyl.
Yes CD's may out sell LP's but so does pop music. Bell curve popularity is not what is at the heart of top grade sound. Although, some CD's are top quality, and more CD's should be mastered better. I have a Marantz CD 6006, it could be higher performance, but the "romance" I am having with vinyl has caused me to go for a top cartridge and stylus on my turntable instead of a $5K CD player. The turntable system I have is about $1k. And I get great sound from the over priced LP's I buy... Miles Davis etc.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Well done to What HiFi for giving us three recommended systems a big improvement to the usual borderline HiFi that is written about. Personally I would of liked to see a system (including ATC speakers) which had a cd ripper and music storage as one of the features of the source, and I am getting a bit tired of this never ending romantic fascination with vinyl. I like vinyl but there are other similarly good ways of listening to music; also with Vinyl one needs to physically change the record to play something else, and yes there are alot of you out there who subscribe to such wonderful old style of listening to music, read the album info and play the whole album to get inside the artist's art.... But there are others out there who also enjoy music but want to travel to different songs, genres of music without having to rise out of the listening chair/seat. Also after having the pleasures of certain drinks it would be tricky to change records especially as one has invested in a very expensive turntable ,cartridge and stylus....!:eek:

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
i subscribe the what hi-fi systems as they go to the most usable today components ,

about streaming I for years used a laptop for digital music listening, only some monthes ago a friend told me that if i wanted a quality sound on streaming services the bluesound node II is good ,at a aceptable price ,

i was happy with it but being used to a lap top it doesn´t cope with all my interest in diferent forms of digital music, 1.5 TB of flac and riped songs from cds files ,to listen to diferent styles of music compilations i made

as new i own a P10 bought last year ´s month of december, but other 8 turntables i own from the 70´s top the quality in sound of the P10 ,but a nice turntable with good sound or i wouldn´t have bought it ,this using it´s original cartridge ,i´m thinking of buying a hana SL for it ,but after buying some new stuff ,i only can say that the accuphase i own from the 70´s tops also this last new one ,

this as more capabilities but sound wise is not as good as it´s old family ,they do sound good with some elac or wharfedale speakers, but let´s see. The time will tell if i did the right purchase or not, it´s not rocket science but knowing the brands i bought the accuphase and almost bought the technics receiver,

some couple of years ago i bought a magnat receiver and the transpull 1500 also a older cd player hybrid too ,i gave it all inclunding a nice turntable that is sold by magnat ,teac, denon,etc.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts