Thorens TD 240-2 Turntable

davidpr

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I am looking to upgrade from my Rega RP1 and one of my choices is the Thorens TD 240-2. But the nearest dealer is well over an hour away so I would welcome any feedback from owners about the quality of this TT but mainly about how the music sounds. If promising I will make the effort and visit the dealer.

Thanks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
davidpr said:
I am looking to upgrade from my Rega RP1 and one of my choices is the Thorens TD 240-2. But the nearest dealer is well over an hour away so I would welcome any feedback from owners about the quality of this TT but mainly about how the music sounds. If promising I will make the effort and visit the dealer.

Thanks.

Underneath the Thorens skin it is essentially a 'posh' looking Dual CS-455 and whether it represents an upgrade over your RP1 is debatable.

I've looked at the (UK) prices and I think you could get more performance for the money.

The obvious upgrade would be a Rega RP3 unless you value the convenience of the Thorens' automation. It's probably a decent TT though (and it looks smart) but it's not going to get anywhere near the performance of Thorens' classic suspended subchassis TD 160s.

It may even fail to match the performance of the RP1.

matthewpiano

chebby said:
davidpr said:

Thanks.

Underneath the Thorens skin it is essentially a 'posh' looking Dual CS-455 and whether it represents an upgrade over your RP1 is debatable.

I've looked at the (UK) prices and I think you could get more performance for the money.

The obvious upgrade would be a Rega RP3 unless you value the convenience of the Thorens' automation. It's probably a decent TT though (and it looks smart) but it's not going to get anywhere near the performance of Thorens' classic suspended subchassis TD 160s.

It may even fail to match the performance of the RP1.

Totally agree.

TRENDING THREADS