Thomson satHD - HDMI video only and optical for 5.1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone. I have a Thomson HD sat box, Denon 4310 and Samsung LE46A956 TV. Optical output is used for 5.1 sound, and HDMI is used for the picture.

My problem is that HDMI appears to over-ride the optical facility, such that I only get stereo sound. My current solution is HDMI input direct to the TV bypassing the 4310. This means I need to select sources on both the AV and the TV, and I can't see the AV GUI on-screen when watching sat broadcasts.

I have assigned inputs to be both HDMI and digital and played with the settings, and with both cables inputting to the 4310, the only time I can get 5.1 sound is when I don't get a picture.

Any ideas how I can overcome this?

Many thanks.....

A

Anonymous

I should add that the set-top box is model number DSI4000. This may only be in available in Russia, so I'm more interested in AV settings that might help me. I read on other posts about assigning audio and video specifically, but I haven't been able to find how to do this with the Denon.

A

Anonymous

Cracked the problem in the end thanks to inspiration from the "SkyHD & Denon 1910, Dolby Digital Config Confusion" posting in the Home Cinema section.

Thanks to the BatPig link from Pindi. I owe you one mate!

The relevant section was here: http://batpigworld.com/setup.html#step3 where I realised Input Mode only relates to the audio part of the equation..... selected "Digital" and now I'm a happy bunny.

Thought I would post the solution as it might help someone else - it seems this type of conundrum features regularly here on the site.

Cheers and thanks once again!

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi There

I'm having a similar problem with mine. SkyHD box is HDMI to my Yamaha Amp & it is only stereo sound. I bought a QED co-ax type lead to suit & plugged that in & when i select the audio button it (if broadcast) will come up with the 5.1 etc

The problem is i can not work out how to get it to set as co-ax for the skyHD box (again its a thomson one) i have to keep selecting the audio input everytime i put sky on, otherwise its just stereo.... & the sky settings are on dolby digital & also when certain films are on, the amp says 'dolby digital' on the screen. - its just annoying i am unable to work out how to get the amp to stay on co-ax for the sound input..

A

Anonymous

Can I suggest you start a new topic - mention SkyHD and your Yamaha amp surround sound problem and you may get some answers. This thread is relatively old now and you probably need some Yamaha or Sky know-how to help you out.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

I have to be carefull here but as far as I know the Thompson only has optical out for 5.1 sound so a coax is no good. ÿ And as they are different you cant plug in by mistake so you should be connecting optical to optical and selecting optical in the amp ÿmenu. ÿIf you have a later thompson with both outputs then report back.

abbey

A

Anonymous

Abbey, you are right as far as my Thomson is concerned. I don't have a co-ax output.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts