This fuse costs £4200

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Well, the mailer from King Snake Russ Andrews arrived today, featuring a 'product focus on fuses'. He sells fast and slow blow ones - cryogenically treated, and no longer subject to just some basic burn-in process, no - they get Process-Q...

Still, they're bargains in comparison with the ones in this thread, at only £25 each.

There's also an interesting (in what way I'll leave you to decide) intro, which warns of the rubbishness of double blind testing - it's unnatural, blunts the ability to discriminate and causes 'considerable psychological stress'. Even if you accept that (which I don't), surely your own, in-house people would become accustomed to it, and they should be able to do double blinds in order to satisfy themselves (and RA) that their products do what they say on the tin? The argument is considered to be supported by some guy from Stereophile, who couldn't tell the difference between amps from Quad, Naim and a TVA valve amp under DB conditions. My conclusion about that would be rather different.

Reading the letters and readers' reviews, I think RA is basically a sort of cult leader to a certain type of person.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

...causes 'considerable psychological stress'.
In the spirit of keeping an open mind, I once compared the same music through 4 very different interconnection cables.
Trying to hear non-existent differences does play with your mind.

Nice get-out clause for him though to avoid any blind test scrutiny🙂

As for cryogenically treated, burnt-in fuses.....what can you say? Nothing that would be acceptable here :sneaky:

Nice get-out clause for him though to avoid any blind test scrutiny🙂
I take the view, as stated before, that if it's just someone reporting observations of their own, expecting them to double-blind themselves is overkill - if you don't believe/agree, they can just be ignored. But when someone is claiming authority or after your cash, things are different. And if they are both claiming authority and after your cash, to dismiss DB feels like it says more about RA's trustworthiness than anything else. But that's just me...

Reactions: Al ears and Gray

Gray

I take the view, as stated before, that if it's just someone reporting observations of their own, expecting them to double-blind themselves is overkill
I've always thought such people (often reporting significant, unmistakable differences) should never feel the need for others to believe them - rather that they should welcome the opportunity to confirm that they're not fooling themselves.

Somebody on here did tell me that he would be able to tell if his cables were swapped without his knowledge.....though he'd never actually tried it 🤨.

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Depends what BS stands for!

And if you are lucky and costs are pro rata, a 5A fuse should only cost £1,615.

I wonder if Future Shop refers to the prices, which are just selected from some random point in the future? I can't be bothered to do the maths, but suspect that if a legitimate price is a quid (assuming some of it is actually silver etc) and inflation runs at 3.5%, there probably isn't enough time before the sun dies for inflation to take care of that...

BS is short for British Standard.

In the UK, fuses should have some product certification marking, for example, BSI Kitemark or ASTA Mark to BS 1362.

Dom

Often it is, yes.
But, as pointed out, not in this particular case - to which the alternative meaning of BS is solely and fully applicable.
Or it could mean a Bachelor of Science degree which is offered in Computer Science, Mathematics, Psychology, Statistics, and each of the natural sciences. :ROFLMAO:

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
I looked at a fuse and it says BS 1362. :) Its a general-purpose fuse for domestic purposes.

Yes, that is one of the approved markings
....perfect for hi-fi and yours for pennies.

(Check your mains plugs, BS 1362 should be on those too).

The BS standard for the UK plug is;
The official plug standard in the United Kingdom since 1962 is the BS 1363 plug. (The previous plug standard was BS 546, still found in older buildings.) The BS 1363 plug is also used in Ireland, Hong Kong, Malaysia, and Singapore.

BS 1362 is correct for the fuse

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Well, the mailer from King Snake Russ Andrews arrived today, featuring a 'product focus on fuses'. He sells fast and slow blow ones - cryogenically treated, and no longer subject to just some basic burn-in process, no - they get Process-Q...

This is all sounding more like a failed experiment from Q's lab!

Bond: Q, there you are. What have you got for me this time?

Q: Ah! I'm particularly proud of this! It's called an S-Fuse. You open the fuse compartment in a plug like so, and replace the existing fuse with this. When you reconnect it to the mains, it will provide power to the appliance and is designed to never fail.

Bond: Is that it? What about the guns, missles, lazers?

Q: We dont do that anymore. Were following process Q

Bond: ...

Reactions: 12th Monkey
This is all sounding more like a failed experiment from Q's lab!

Bond: Q, there you are. What have you got for me this time?

Q: Ah! I'm particularly proud of this! It's called an S-Fuse. You open the fuse compartment in a plug like so, and replace the existing fuse with this. When you reconnect it to the mains, it will provide power to the appliance and is designed to never fail.

Bond: Is that it? What about the guns, missles, lazers?

Q: We dont do that anymore. Were following process Q

Bond: ...
If it never fails it's not going to do it's job......

podknocker

This fuse is over 4200 times too expensive and I cannot imagine people even considering a purchase. What is wrong with people? It will cost 20p to make, in bulk and selling one for 50p will generate plenty of profit. The world's gone bonkers.

At a brief loose end - they'll also sell you a mains socket, at £1,500:

Quantum Science Audio Red-Black High-End Double-Socket Wall Plate (futureshop.co.uk)

Disappointingly, mains plugs max out at under £150 - they can't be any good, then...

Furutech FI-1363 NCF Rhodium Top-of-the-Line UK Mains Connector (futureshop.co.uk)

HDMIs can cost nearly £3k, opticals a mere £430, digital co-ax at nearly £12k:

Nordost Odin 2 75Ohm Digital Audio Cable (futureshop.co.uk)

Interconnects at £22k:

Nordost Odin 2 Audio Interconnect - RCA Pair (futureshop.co.uk)

Speaker cable at £32k.

Nordost Odin 2 Speaker Cable - Factory Terminated Pair (futureshop.co.uk)

I'm pretty much lost for words...

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts