Third Man Records turntables?

Kcarson3

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
So I'm looking for a bit of advice. My boyfriend is pretty into music and a huge fan of Jack White. He really wants a Third Man Records turntable (record player?) for his birthday. Particularly, he wants either http://thirdmanstore.com/merchandise/turntables/spinnerette-turntable

spinn_new_1.jpg

or

http://thirdmanstore.com/merchandise/turntables/third-man-records-portable-record-player

crosleyplayer_open_550.jpg

Ignoring the fact that they're both out of stock (if necessary I could probably find one), is this even a decent investment? My biggest issue is that they're ugly. I really don't want to have to decorate around something that looks like giant bumble bee, that's just not going to fly. In particular I've looked at the Audio‑Technica AT‑PL120 Turntable, which would be a lot easier to blend into a living room and I'm hoping it's actually a better machine than either of the hideous black and yellow ones.. Are there other options I should be exploring? I would rather not spend more than about $300, since there's always the slight possibility that this is a phase and he'll be back to spotify in a month or two. I would really appreciate any advice y'all have!

matthewpiano

I'd say steer clear.

These record players are made by Crossley who also make most of the vintage-style music centre record players out there and the arms are notoriously bad. In fact getting a proper tracking weight with these players is virtually impossible and the risk is that just many good singles and LPs were ruined by repeated playings on Philips Disc Jockey Majors and the like in the 60s, he could do permanent damage to his records with such a cheaply constructed thing.

The Audio-Technica you mention would certainly be a better option but you will need an amplifier with a 'phono' input and a pair of speakers for this. Does he already have these? The AT is made by a Chinese company called Hanpin who make turntables for a wide range of well known companies. They aren't the finest by any means but at least they have arms which can set accurate tracking weights and also anti-skating and, used properly, it isn't going to potentially ruin his records like the 'hideous black and yellow ones'.

Hope this helps.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
from that horrendous looking piece of plastic junk. Lucky for you they're out of stock! ;-) It resembles a child's toy gone wrong and will rip any vinyl to pieces. If you do get one, use it souly as a decorative piece, hidden away in the deepest darkest corner... ;-)

Get your boyfriend a proper turntable (he'll thank you for it) and then any other Jack White merchandise as and when...

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Kcarson3 said:
looks like giant bumble bee, that's just not going to fly.

Arf arf! Sorry, not much useful to say, but that did make me larf.

But they do look bloody ugly. And are probably awful in terms of sound quality and damaging records.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
And given that the last Jack White album cost £30+, your boyfriend definitely won't want to risk wrecking it on a cheap turntable.

If you want to do yellow turntables and speakers correctly then try these ...

1884.jpg

img-gallery-cart-exact.jpg

s_134200173084949-extra-large.aspx

Oops! Mustn't forget the yellow felt mat ...

8258713049_26a495ed34_b.jpg

:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts