Theta DAC

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi all,

I'm thinking seriously about buying a second hand Theta DS Pro Prime DAC, but unable to demo... does anyone have experience of this particular model? if so, please share your thoughts.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Hi Mac, I can't help you with the Theta DAC but I would recommend this S/H Abrahamsen V6 on ebay.

They do not come up very often and are very similar the the Electrocompaniet ECD1 DAC.

It ends tomorrow about 12am and you might get it for a bargain price!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abrahamsen-v6-dac-/191806133905?hash=item2ca8895691:g:TLQAAOSwUuFWwG16

Are you thinking of using it to improve spotify ?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
Macspur said:
Hi all,

I'm thinking seriously about buying a second hand Theta DS Pro Prime DAC, but unable to demo... does anyone have experience of this particular model? if so, please share your thoughts.

Mac

Hi Mac, I can't help you with the Theta DAC but I would recommend this S/H Abrahamsen V6 on ebay.

They do not come up very often and are very similar the the Electrocompaniet ECD1 DAC.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abrahamsen-v6-dac-/191806133905?hash=item2ca8895691:g:TLQAAOSwUuFWwG16

Hi Electro,

Thanks for the heads up on the Abrahamson, I'll keep my eye on it.

Yes, I am looking to plug my Sonos into the DAC through which I listen to Spotify.

Mac

Macspur said:
Hi all,

Mac

Theta built some class DACs but have not heard this one, I had the Chroma. You don't say how much you are spending but I would look for something a bit more modern as these things came out in 1991.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Macspur said:
Hi all,

Mac

Theta built some class DACs but have not heard this one, I had the Chroma. You don't say how much you are spending but I would look for something a bit more modern as these things came out in 1991.

It's going for about £300. Yes, must admit I was a bit concerned about the age, but as I don't know much about the DAC field, didn't know how much of a problem this would be.

One guy on the Wam has got one and rates it very highly.

Mac

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Electro said:
Macspur said:
Hi all,

Mac

Hi Electro,

Yes, I am looking to plug my Sonos into the DAC through which I listen to Spotify.

Mac

I do a similar thing except I get spotify from a digital out from my i pad to my Electro ECD1 dac and is amazingly good even on a low bit rate.

The Abrahamsen dac that I linked to ends in an hour and if it does not shoot up in price it will be an absolute bargain, even if it reaches £300 it is still well worth it and probably a better bet than the Theta imo .

The Abrahamsen V6 has a very good power supply and a fully discreet class A analogue output stage very similar to your EMC1UP .

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
Macspur said:
Electro said:
Macspur said:
Hi all,

Mac

Hi Electro,

Mac

I do a similar thing except I get spotify from a digital out from my i pad to my Electro ECD1 dac and is amazingly good even on a low bit rate.

The Abrahamsen dac that I linked to ends in an hour and if it does not shoot up in price it will be an absolute bargain, even if it reaches £300 it is still well worth it and probably a better bet than the Theta imo .

The Abrahamsen V6 has a very good power supply and a fully discreet class A analogue output stage very similar to your EMC1UP .

I've decided not to go for the Theta, but we had visitors so I missed the auction... if you see any more Electro, please let me know.

I do like the look of Metrum too, but they are pretty expensive.

Mac

Macspur said:
Electro said:
Macspur said:
Electro said:
Macspur said:
Hi all,

Mac

Hi Electro,

Mac

I've decided not to go for the Theta, but we had visitors so I missed the auction... if you see any more Electro, please let me know.

Mac

Metrums are great. However if you are only going to use DAC for Sonus / Spotify work then a complex one isn't required you can forget ones that do DSD resolutions etc. For £300 the Theta would have been ideal.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Macspur said:
Electro said:
Macspur said:
Electro said:
Macspur said:
Hi all,

Mac

Hi Electro,

Mac

Mac

Metrums are great. However if you are only going to use DAC for Sonus / Spotify work then a complex one isn't required you can forget ones that do DSD resolutions etc. For £300 the Theta would have been ideal.

Thanks for the tip, I do appreciate it as a DAC is new territory for me and don't really know what I'm doing... the Theta does appear as if it could be quite old though, 91 is going back some way.

I'm in no hurry, so will just bide my time.

Mac

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:

The Metrum is a NOS-DAC, so better audition it before buying one for use with a Sonos, Mac. It might work out fine, but I'm not sure a Sonos is good enough a transport for the Metrum... (For the record: I haven't demoed it for myself).

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
Macspur said:

The Metrum is a NOS-DAC, so better audition it before buying one for use with a Sonos, Mac. It might work out fine, but I'm not sure a Sonos is good enough a transport for the Metrum... (For the record: I haven't demoed it for myself).

OK Doc, thanks for the tip. Although a friend did bring his Metrum Octave MKii for me to hear and it did sound pretty good to me.

Mac

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I would think the obvious thing to do would be to buy an Accuphase DAC-40 plug-in for your E350.

Nice tidy solution. There is a new one advertised on ebay uk from a Japanese trader for £705 and free postage.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
I would think the obvious thing to do would be to buy an Accuphase DAC-40 plug-in for your E350.

Nice tidy solution. There is a new one advertised on ebay uk from a Japanese trader for £705 and free postage.

It's a thought, but don't fancy buying from Japan off Ebay, particularly for that kind of money.

Mac

Macspur said:
chebby said:

It's a thought, but don't fancy buying from Japan off Ebay, particularly for that kind of money.

Mac

It's usually pretty safe but just remember you may get clobbered with VAT and/or import duty.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Macspur said:
chebby said:

Mac

It's usually pretty safe but just remember you may get clobbered with VAT and/or import duty.

Yes, there is that too.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Electro, I've seen an ECD1 for sale at £1100... is that a good price for the Electro DAC and do you think it's waste for just playing Spotify through Sonos?

I've also seen a PS Audio Digital Link 3 going for a reasonable price, but know nothing about the brand.

Mac

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Electro, I've seen an ECD1 for sale at £1100... is that a good price for the Electro DAC and do you think it's waste for just playing Spotify through Sonos?

I've also seen a PS Audio Digital Link 3 going for a reasonable price, but know nothing about the brand.

Mac

Hi Mac ,

£1100 seems a touch on the expensive side unless it is ex demo or new old stock with a warranty .

They normaly sell for between £500 and £750 second hand .

Are you sure it is not the newer ECD 2 model, if it is then £1100 is a very fair price .

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/electrocompaniet-ecd-2-dac/

I would say it is definitely worth using the ECD I for spotify, mine sounds absolutely fantastic using an ipad digital out via a Cambridge audio id 100 dock to the ECD 1 DAC .

The Electrocompaniet ECD1 dac has been the companies best selling product and was on constant back order it's whole lifetime as they could not keep up with the massive demand .

The ECD2 is supposed to be equaly good but with more features.

PS audio has a good reputation but I have not heard any of their products .

K

keeper of the quays

Have you compared the iPad dac
with the ecd 1?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
Have you compared the iPad dac with the ecd 1?

No I haven't , I know the ipad dac's are supposed to be very good but the analogue output is not so good especially when compared to the discreet balanced class A output stage of the ECD1 .

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Yes, I beg your pardon, it is the ECD2 and it's a sh one from a dealer in the Midlands.

How about you have that one and I'll buy yours off you? lol!

Mac

Thanks for the kind offer Mac but I think I will decline . *biggrin*

I will keep a lookout for an Abrahamsen v6 and an ECD1 for you bit they are few and far between .

You could just go for the ECD2 £1100 is a good price and it also has a built in pre amp function and asynchronous usb input too .

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
Macspur said:
Yes, I beg your pardon, it is the ECD2 and it's a sh one from a dealer in the Midlands.

How about you have that one and I'll buy yours off you? lol!

Mac

Thanks for the kind offer Mac but I think I will decline . *biggrin*

I will keep a lookout for an Abrahamsen v6 and an ECD1 for you bit they are few and far between .

You could just go for the ECD2 £1100 is a good price and it also has a built in pre amp function and asynchronous usb input too .

Don't blame you.

Think I'd end up in the dog house if I spent that much, good price though it is.

Thanks

Mac

K

keeper of the quays

I'm guessing you mean the mini jack to rca? Reason I ask is I'm getting some interesting results from my iPod touch 4..via it's mini jack to rca..i would like to hear your set up, so I could have some sort of comparison with my iPod...as I'm flabbergasted with the sound I'm getting from lowly YouTube...im wondering if I'm imagining this? Chances are you live miles away..im in Hastings..but would it be possible to listen to a certain song on YouTube thru your iPad to ECD1 and tell me how it sounds? What I'm getting from iPod dac is holographic sound..so lifelike you can tell how tall the singers are! And minutia detail of vocal timbre...im not sure this is usual for ipods?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts