The Truth About 3D TV...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
We're compiling a feature on 3D TV - we've seen all the variations in action and want to tell you all about them.

But, we need your help.

What do you want to know about 3D TV? Confused about the basics, the glasses, the tech or the arrival of 3D TV? Post you questions below and they'll help us make a feature that you really want to read.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Does it require specially recorded features, or does the screen 'engineer' a 3d effect from a standard broadcast?

Given we've had HD for a few years, and pretty much everyone and their granny is "HD Ready" or "Fully HD Ready, with bells on", except for the broadcasters I cannot imagine anything new taking off.

And I ain't wearing no stoopid glasses to watch the tellybox.

And to see most slebrities in 3d, as if they're really in my living room, might be a bit creepy...! (Although I could manage to have Megan Fox in 3d........)

nads

TBH, this will not be what you want to hear, I am totally disinterested in 3D TV.

Why? there have been too many costly new "standards" that have been brought to market over the last 9 years.

We were happy investing in good TVs as really nothing had changed since Colour arrived back in the year dot.

Full HD TVs and HD Ready TVs are still some way behind the picture quality of a good CRTV.

Is seems that, to me, 3D TV will be a nice thing to play with at a demo but I will not be looking at it untill it is the standard.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Also not one bit interested, get what weve got now 100% first. Btw what about folks who already wear glasses are they expected to wear Two Pairs at the same time? can"t see it myself sorry.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Assuming the technology actually works, the main issue for me is going to be the type of content we're going to get. Other than Avatar (which I haven't actually watched the trailer for as am intending to go into the cinema "cold"), most directors' ideas of 3D seem to be along the lines of My Bloody Valentine which we've seen before many times throughout movie history.

If the intention is to actually make some decent 3D content, where the 3D actually adds something to the movie experience, further immersing you into the film (like surround sound), then I may well be interested. If it's just so they can make an axe fly out so the crowd goes "Ooooo" then I'll pass thanks.

A

Anonymous

will the tvs be full HD sets with 3D built in as an option? will you need a compatible reciever box? will you be able to record it in 3D or do you need yet another box with built in hard disk or dvd recorder which is 3D compatible? Quite like the idea and since current tv is only HD ready will be upgrading in the near future to full HD but dont want to have to replace everything else as well!

A

Anonymous

All opinions welcome! No need for apologies.

One of the wider issues is getting people (other than journalists) to sample 3D TV and watch sport, play games etc.

The tech that we saw at IFA was impressive, but there's still a school of thought that believes 'new 3D' is coloured cardboard glasses and IMAX cinemas...

nads

I actually missed the last bit of your question(s)

Post you questions below and they'll help us make a feature that you really want to read.

Will it work with my current TV?

Pio. 5080

If not then until all TV it transmitted at 1080p and then there is a real benefit in changing the TV I may be tempted to look at a compatible 3D Full HD TV (presuming that that is the then norm). but while most TV is sent as SD or 720p/1080i (In Sweden My HD TV supply will be 720p i hear.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Ive zero interest either

When they release something truly 3 dimensional ill take note, but till then I see it as another gimmick

digigriffin

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
So everyone would need some 3d glasses so how many do you keep handy just in case you get a full house event?
As previously said what about people who already wear glasses to watch TV?

I saw 3d at an Imax years ago and at the time was pretty impressed in so far as it was much better than anything I had seen broadcast where you had to wear cardboard coloured glasses.

Not convinced about 3d as HD has not yet become the standard in many homes yet.

IMHO the 3d would really have to blow everything else away to even get a look in.

Sliced Bread

Not really interested. Maybe I will be a long way in the future when it is like looking through your window (without the need for glasses).

However my main question is, to what extent will 2D be effected while 3D is being introduced? If the director is making a 3d film then will the cinematography transfer well into 2D (from an artistic point of view rather than a technical point of view). What I'm trying to say is, will we have the choice of watching a 3D film as the director intends through a 3D TV (which I understand are not really that good at the moment) OR watch the film in 2D using a TV with a better picture quality but not get to see the film as the director intended?

Just seems like damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario to me.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Big Aura:Does it require specially recorded features, or does the screen 'engineer' a 3d effect from a standard broadcast?

No, it requires special material - far too much processing power required at the moment to do it on the fly: as I said in my report from Korea last December, 2D-to-3D conversion is possible, but 15 seconds of content currently takes two hours to process, and it's hardly automatic, requiring a degree of human intervention.

Big Aura:And I ain't wearing no stoopid glasses to watch the tellybox

In which case I fear you may, for the foreseeable future, be banjaxed.

Sliced Bread

Two other questions. One industry related and one technical:

1) Will this damage the industry in the same way the the bluray HD-dvd battle did. For instance, will people hold off buying a new 2D TV / bluray player becuase 3D TV's are just around the corner only to wait even longer because when they arrive they are waiting for the quality to improve and/or the format war to be finished.

2) How much space will a 3d film with two 1080P pictures require on a disk? If it is alot more then will there be more compression of each 1080P image in order to fit this on the disk and if so will this reduce the quality of the picture and re-introduce macro blocking issues etc that we are trying to move away from. Also will this stop studios from producing higher than 1080P pictures in the future as there is not enough room on the disc for a higher than 1080P 3D image?

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Like most here - thanx but no thanx.

Gimmick.

When I watch a TV show or movie my eyes already tell me where everything is onscreen and how objects/people relate to each other in relation to placement and to have an artificial depth shown to me cos I wear some specs would be tiresome I would think.

Save the money and give the paying public something they actually want - full screen images with no black bars. Or at least the option of having this. I know this is an old chestnut and I don't mean to start any debate - those that want to watch the movie 'as the director intended' can have their 21:9 copy. I want the option of a 16:9 copy to show my 42" TV in all it's glory.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
I think we all need to see it "in the flesh"before anyone can comment.we all get a little bit strange when something new comes along,dvd for example"nah that wont take off £600 for a player,dvd films £35,00,now look its been massive,high def another thing,"im not paying £20 to £30 for a blu-ray hd-dvd disc,its all gaining momentum,now pic and sound can look and sound stunning.It could work well for gaming,3d on pcs has been around for a while.i suppose it will boil down to price.i remember seeing a hd reel at sony in 2005,me and my work colleges were stunned,showing blu-ray,sky hd,ps3 footage,and now we take it all for granted,i love watching a blu-ray film or hd-dvd for that matter,i enjoy playing on ps3/xbox 360.but in 10 years time it will all look spectrum graphics lol,i work in a high-def store.where its all second nature to me,when cust come into store that have not seen it they are blown away by it all(and some cant even see the diffrence lol).Lets just see what happens before we all blow it out of the water.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
No problem, Richard its just the thought of 300 or so adults in my local, watching an England match all wearing designer 3D glasses
emotion-11.gif
that makes me well
emotion-2.gif
a lot. If you don"t wear them a very blurry screen before taking a drink, doesn"t bear thinking about.
emotion-5.gif

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
- What do the manufacturers expect us to do with the HD TV's that a lot of us have invested in?

- Assuming 3D takes off, how long before they release a v2 that will require yet another new TV?

- How long can you wear the glasses before it becomes fatiguing - both for glasses and non-glasses wearers?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, im another "not interested". No help to you at all and i feel a bit guilty even posting so pointlessly, but i think, if the industry is bothered what we want (i have my doubts sometimes), they need to know that many dont care.

EDIT - is it, i wonder, a way of taking attention away from the "fact" that HD isnt ever going to get much better? I suspect and hope im wrong, having just invested...

Like every other new technology, 3D will be slow to adopt first. The earlier versions of 3D TVs will be primitive, requiring us to wear glasses. I'm sure, with time, there won't be any need to wear glasses. Once 3D becomes standard (many years down the line), then watching films & programmes in 2D will become unimaginable, just like watching them on a black-and-white TV today.

In fact, I suspect, future TVs will not require any screen at all.....images will be rendered in 3D in thin air!

al7478:

Sorry, im another "not interested". No help to you at all and i feel a bit guilty even posting so pointlessly, but i think, if the industry is bothered what we want (i have my doubts sometimes), they need to know that many dont care.

EDIT - is it, i wonder, a way of taking attention away from the "fact" that HD isnt ever going to get much better? I suspect and hope im wrong, having just invested...

Ultra HD is on its way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Hi-Vision

And Japanese Government is backing its development: http://www.hdtvinfo.eu/news/hdtv-broadcasting/japanese-government-supports-ultra-hd.html

manicm

Richard Melville:

We're compiling a feature on 3D TV - we've seen all the variations in action and want to tell you all about them.

But, we need your help.

What do you want to know about 3D TV? Confused about the basics, the glasses, the tech or the arrival of 3D TV? Post you questions below and they'll help us make a feature that you really want to read.

Frankly, at home I couldn't be bothered, some could care but I don't. I mean how does one watch The Lives Of Others in 3D, Star Wars maybe - but then I'll just trundle along to the cinema.

Like multi-channel music - firstly there's a dearth of titles and Dark Side may be multi-channel but OK Computer not yet so who really cares??

And anyway - you've blown a small fortune on a Kuro, and now you're gonna splash on 3D?

This is what I call the production of waste - the first capitalist vulgarity of the Western, and perhaps Eastern world as well of the 21st century.

Sony et al must really think human beings don't have a real life.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts