The Thing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:Hell, I'm up for more of the same!

As its my all time fav horror, more of the same would be awesome to me
emotion-21.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:Grottyash:
FrankHarveyHiFi: Although it is being directed by a (first time) Norwegian director, and much of the movie is supposedly spoken in Nowegian for accuracy.How can it be accurate? "The Thing" was a work of fiction, not a documentary.

Unless, of course, the Norwegian government has something to hide.....

Is this being pedantic or obsessively logical?
emotion-1.gif

What I meant was, quite obviously, that the camp that Copper and MacReady visit (the location of the prequel) is a Norwegian camp, so if you make a film about that Norwegian camp, it stands to reason that the spoken language should be Norwegian for purposes of story accuracy and for it to be convincing.

I guess having a Norwegian director would help on that front.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
It warms your heart when your 10 year old son says "i want to watch the man with no name" , he's seen all 3 since i got the trilogy blu-ray last year. "Which one" i say so he finds it out and looks though the disc's and picks A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS he watching it now. Just goes to show how good the DOLLARS TRILOGY is. Anyway i digress getting back on topic THE THING great film one of my favourite horrors. Looking forward to the new one , got some plus points as well like Carpenter's seal of approval and Mary Elizabeth Winstead in the mix with the authentic Norwegian actors. So i'm hopping it will live up to the first which is a tall order.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:I guess having a Norwegian director would help on that front.
I'm hoping so!
I don't really know any Norwegian directors other than the guy who directed Cold Prey, which is a rather good, up to date slasher movie - not sure whether he'd be up to a Thing follow up though.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
v1c:It warms your heart when your 10 year old son says "i want to watch the man with no name" , he's seen all 3 since i got the trilogy blu-ray last year. "Which one" i say so he finds it out and looks though the disc's and picks A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS he watching it now. Just goes to show how good the DOLLARS TRILOGY is.

I was actually thinking about The Good The Bad And The Ugly Yesterday. After all this time its still my fave western. I wonder if anyone will ever truly challenge it?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:
v1c:It warms your heart when your 10 year old son says "i want to watch the man with no name" , he's seen all 3 since i got the trilogy blu-ray last year. "Which one" i say so he finds it out and looks though the disc's and picks A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS he watching it now. Just goes to show how good the DOLLARS TRILOGY is.

I was actually thinking about The Good The Bad And The Ugly Yesterday. After all this time its still my fave western. I wonder if anyone will ever truly challenge it?

I'm just hoping nobody has the bright idea of trying to remake it! Mind you at the length that came in at I can't see it.

Anyone going to see True Grit?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:
FrankHarveyHiFi:Hell, I'm up for more of the same!

As its my all time fav horror, more of the same would be awesome to me
emotion-21.gif

Same here Rik, in fact i know all the dialogue to the movie word for word ! Not many films i can do that with, jaws is another one i know.

A

Anonymous

I read about the new Thing movie a couple of months ago so went out and picked up a copy of The Thing on blu ray. Ive not been able watch it yet as I've got a Pioneer LX54 and it only plays about ten discs so far. Every other one as huge lip sync problems. I not actually seen the original film at all and wanted to see it before the new one comes out. Kirk Russels best film? It certainly launched his carrier.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Jase Brown:I read about the new Thing movie a couple of months ago so went out and picked up a copy of The Thing on blu ray. Ive not been able watch it yet as I've got a Pioneer LX54 and it only plays about ten discs so far. Every other one as huge lip sync problems.

Have you tried a firmware update? That's a brand new player, it shouldn't have any trouble with any disks, if a firmware update doesn't fix it I'd be sending it back.

Kirk Russels best film?

Never heard of him.

It certainly launched his carrier.

I'd suggest Elvis and Escape From New York probably "launched" his 20 year old career.

Anyway, EVERYBODY knows Kurt Russell's best film is Big Trouble in Little China! Absolute genius!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

the_lhc:aliEnRIK:

I'm just hoping nobody has the bright idea of trying to remake it! Mind you at the length that came in at I can't see it.Anyone going to see True Grit?

I'm a big fan of the Coen brothers, but must admit to being unsure if I really want to see this.

I've never seen The Ladykillers by them either, loved the original so much that I thought it would be a disappointment, so I've never bothered

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:the_lhc:Anyone going to see True Grit?
I'm a big fan of the Coen brothers, but must admit to being unsure if I really want to see this.

I've never seen The Ladykillers by them either, loved the original so much that I thought it would be a disappointment, so I've never bothered

True Grit isn't a remake of the original film though, it's much closer to the book, which apparently the John Wayne version wasn't. Got a lot of nominations, so must have something going for it...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Jase Brown:I read about the new Thing movie a couple of months ago so went out and picked up a copy of The Thing on blu ray. Ive not been able watch it yet as I've got a Pioneer LX54 and it only plays about ten discs so far. Every other one as huge lip sync problems. I not actually seen the original film at all and wanted to see it before the new one comes out. Kirk Russels best film? It certainly launched his carrier.
If a software update doesn't do much, I'd follow the_lhc's advice and take it back - you may have a dud.

As for The Thing, as you haven't seen JC's, I'd be tempted to watch the new one first seeing as it leads up to what happens in John Carpenter's The Thing, as there's no way it'll measure up! Whichever way you watch it, the Bluray looks fantastic.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:How about a 'Thing Script Face Off'?
emotion-2.gif
Childs, what's he doing?...... Thought id start from here skipping the "poor baby youve started losing , bit with Mcready on his own, ha

Oer to you Frank..

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:That was three days ago, the moment's passed, let it go...What's it being 3 days got to do with it? Anyway the_lhc this is between me and Frank ok?

So if you dont mind....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jase fox:the_lhc:That was three days ago, the moment's passed, let it go...What's it being 3 days got to do with it? Any way the_lhc this is between me and Frank ok?

So if you dont mind....

So if you don't mind, take it to email (is that the online equivalent of "get a room!" now I wonder?).

I'm just looking out for you, quoting scripts is all very geeky, I'm just thinking of your image.

Oh and seeing as you're such good buddies, his name is David...

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:jase fox:the_lhc:That was three days ago, the moment's passed, let it go...What's it being 3 days got to do with it? Any way the_lhc this is between me and Frank ok?

So if you dont mind....

So if you don't mind, take it to email (is that the online equivalent of "get a room!" now I wonder?).

I'm just looking out for you, quoting scripts is all very geeky, I'm just thinking of your image.

Oh and seeing as you're such good buddies, his name is David...Well i am geeky with such things like this ! And please do not concern yourself with my image as i may think you care?

And no as you can already tell we are not good buddies i'm just using his username.

Oh and if "david" wants to take it to e-mail then fine, so be it.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:jase fox:And i so hope "david" hurry's up as im rearing to go..... hehe

How do you do that smiley with the wide eyes?hahaha ha i know, the_lhc you could always be copper?

So i wanna be McReady, "david" could be childs and you copper if you like? Or windows maybe? Bennings?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc: I always thought of myself as more bronze you see...

I'm really trying my best to laugh at that?

Dear oh Dear.....

Anyway, are you wanting to participate in this, the_lhc?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts