The Thing

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I know theres a few horror fans on here, so if you dont know already, The Thing prequal is being made and is apparantly following the original very closely (literally).

This is a film I AM excited about [:p]

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I didn`t know and I`m very glad to hear it. Saw `The Thing` at the pictures when it came out and was very impressed. My son ( a harsh critic!) watched it recently on dvd and was amazed at how good the special effects were on a film made so many years ago.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:I know theres a few horror fans on here, so if you dont know already, The Thing prequal is being made and is apparantly following the original very closely (literally).

Do you mean the John Carpenter original or the 50s original?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:aliEnRIK:

I know theres a few horror fans on here, so if you dont know already, The Thing prequal is being made and is apparantly following the original very closely (literally). Do you mean the John Carpenter original or the 50s original?

The classic John Carpenter one. The Thing From Another World prequal would have presumably been called 'The Thing From Another World'

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
survivor:I didn`t know and I`m very glad to hear it. Saw `The Thing` at the pictures when it came out and was very impressed. My son ( a harsh critic!) watched it recently on dvd and was amazed at how good the special effects were on a film made so many years ago.

Awesome effects. Shame about the very poor blood colour (did he not comment on the blood?)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:I know theres a few horror fans on here, so if you dont know already, The Thing prequal is being made and is apparantly following the original very closely (literally).

Hang on, how can it literally follow the original, if it's a prequel?

scene

the_lhc:aliEnRIK:I know theres a few horror fans on here, so if you dont know already, The Thing prequal is being made and is apparantly following the original very closely (literally).

Hang on, how can it literally follow the original, if it's a prequel?
Semantics aside, I assume the plot will be comsistent with what we know happened before in the Thing....

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:aliEnRIK:

I know theres a few horror fans on here, so if you dont know already, The Thing prequal is being made and is apparantly following the original very closely (literally). Hang on, how can it literally follow the original, if it's a prequel?

If I 'follow' something, im behind it

(Just realised my bad spelling)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
scene: Semantics aside, I assume the plot will be comsistent with what we know happened before in the Thing....

It follows the Norwegians that MacReady went to visit

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Man how time moves on. I too saw this when it first came out i... went up the street from having watched I think 'Porkies' in one cinema to the ABC and picked out this movie 'The Thing' from a host of others showing.

The great thing was it was early in my 'going-out' with my now wife and many many times she snuggled into me scared ... ahh the memories
emotion-21.gif

I thing the fellow means they with do the storyline following from the story in the movie as to what happened in the Norwegian Camp was it ? where the dog (the thing) had came from that was running away being shot at early in the movie ... if memory serves ?

Loved that movie
emotion-2.gif
Still do.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:the_lhc:aliEnRIK:

I know theres a few horror fans on here, so if you dont know already, The Thing prequal is being made and is apparantly following the original very closely (literally). Hang on, how can it literally follow the original, if it's a prequel?

If I 'follow' something, im behind it

Yes, you come after it, so it would be a sequel.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
This movie, which will be called "The Thing", rather than "John Carpenter's The Thing", is a prequel to Carpenter's, and tells the story of what happened at the Norwegian camp which MacReady and Copper visit in the first one where they find the first set of charred human remains. Being a huge fan of Carpenter's (for many reasons), I was glad that they took this route rather than to carry on where Carpenter's left off.
The director has been quoted as saying that he will be sticking to 'real' special effects as much as possible, and only using CGI where needed, and is trying to be true to the Carpenter original, which followed the book (Who Goes There?) far more closely than the Howard Hawk's original.

The problem is that this movie has so much to live up to, that's it's invariably going to be huge let down - only time will tell.

scene:This is also a film I am vey excited about - is John Carpenter directing?
Unfortunately not Scene
emotion-6.gif

Although it is being directed by a (first time) Norwegian director, and much of the movie is supposedly spoken in Nowegian for accuracy.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:People are unbelievably pedantic on here

I prefer to think of it as obsessively logical...

I can't see how this can really work, other than finding out how the "Thing" ended up in the research station surely it's just going to be more of the same, same setting, pretty much the same plot (alien organism, everyone dies) but in Norwegian...?

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi: Although it is being directed by a (first time) Norwegian director, and much of the movie is supposedly spoken in Nowegian for accuracy.How can it be accurate? "The Thing" was a work of fiction, not a documentary.

Unless, of course, the Norwegian government has something to hide.....

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Thinking about it, when I heard there was a follow up to The Descent (a Thing unfluenced movie/director), and that Neil Marshall wasn't doing it, I avoided it like the plague after some awful follow ups of other movies (The Hills Have Eyes/Wrong Turn etc), especially when they're not directed by the same director. But, a colleague watched it and recommended it, and turns out it's actually a very good follow up - so it CAN happen....

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash:
FrankHarveyHiFi: Although it is being directed by a (first time) Norwegian director, and much of the movie is supposedly spoken in Nowegian for accuracy.How can it be accurate? "The Thing" was a work of fiction, not a documentary.

Unless, of course, the Norwegian government has something to hide.....

Is this being pedantic or obsessively logical?
emotion-1.gif

What I meant was, quite obviously, that the camp that Copper and MacReady visit (the location of the prequel) is a Norwegian camp, so if you make a film about that Norwegian camp, it stands to reason that the spoken language should be Norwegian for purposes of story accuracy and for it to be convincing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts