The Sweeney and The Professionals films 2011

Yesterday I heard the The Sweeney is being filmed with Ray Winstone playing the Regan character and Daniel Craig playing Carter.[^o)]

Also this year a full length version of The Professionals is being made, 15 years after the idea was first conceived. Sadly, Lewis Collins and Martin Shaw have distance themselves from the remake.

Not a big fan of remakes but could be ever-so-slightly interesting, although won't be as great as the originals.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
ray winstones a brave man last thing i would want to do is be in a film with daniel craig

probably the best way to look shorter and fatter than you are(not that im saying ray winstone short and fat)

i think movie remakes of tv series have a better chance than remaking films

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
The problem, for myself at least, is that not using the original actors ( for whatever reason, in some cases its impossible ) makes the possible films of what were iconic series less appealing to me.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
The question for me is - will they be as politically incorrect or updated and PC?

Could ruin the whole feel, or be an improved Ashes to Ashes.

A

Anonymous

The Sweeney remake was touted in 2009 and 2010 but thankfully no-one is prepared to put the money up for it. As someone who owns the Pilot Episode, Boxsets and both films I can't really see Ray Winstone nor Daniel Craig being any cop in the parts of Regan and Carter. The Sweeney should be left as a classic of British TV.

I hate this spate of remakes, it's just bone-idle laziness on the part of the studio. none of them are ever well-written or indeed well acted. Just got to watch A-Team remake and what a pile of rubbish that was to prove my point. By time Studio Execs woke up and realised that films are supposed to be original and entertaining, not rehashed shlock.

Well, you couldn't re-create the magic of the originals. The screeching car chases of the professionals is a no-no, especially with the speed cameras around, nor will people tolerate the guns; the censors would be trembling in their pc boots if a production even attempted a clone of Bodie, Doyle and Cowley and Regan and Carter.

Also Ray Winstone aged 53ish and Daniel Craig well into his forties (Dennis Waterman was in his twenties and John Thaw in his thirties). Could it work? course not...

cinemafan

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
Why? Why do they get their hands on everything and feel the urge to re-make them?

Ray Winstone as Regan? What? Good god ....... I was only watching Sweeney 2 movie the other day and NOBODY can do Regan like John Thaw .....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:
Well, you couldn't re-create the magic of the originals. The screeching car chases of the professionals is a no-no, especially with the speed cameras around, nor will people tolerate the guns; the censors would be trembling in their pc boots if a production even attempted a clone of Bodie, Doyle and Cowley and Regan and Carter.

Don't talk nonsense, the BBFC cuts almost nothing these days, unless they feel it glorifies violence against women, look at a film like Antichrist for example, almost nothing cut from the film, so a few blokes driving around with guns isn't going to worry anyone (you did watch Ashes to Ashes, no different to the The Sweeney, deliberately I guess).

Daniel Craig well into his forties

Not yet 42 but yeah, doesn't he look awful...

the_lhc:plastic penguin:

Don't talk nonsense, the BBFC cuts almost nothing these days, unless they feel it glorifies violence against women, look at a film like Antichrist for example, almost nothing cut from the film, so a few blokes driving around with guns isn't going to worry anyone (you did watch Ashes to Ashes, no different to the The Sweeney, deliberately I guess). Daniel Craig well into his forties Not yet 42 but yeah, doesn't he look awful...

You are so wrong - in fact, the last person to be that wrong was Chamberlain when he stood up in the House Of Commons during the summer of 1939 and declared to safeguard Poland's sovereignty. That's how wrong you are...
emotion-2.gif

On a serious note: The board of censors are a law unto themselves, seem to change the goal posts as and when it pleases them. Generally speaking, if it's a film made for the wider public i.e. TV, then they seem to be very fickle [also the decision is with individual TV companies]and will probably frown at anything not deemed as politically correct. The perfect example is an episode of The Professionals called 'Klansman'. It has never been shown on mainstream TV in the UK, although regularly aired across Europe and the U.S.

Even one of my short film scripts had to be changed on one page due to some border line dialogue.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:the_lhc:plastic penguin:

Don't talk nonsense, the BBFC cuts almost nothing these days, unless they feel it glorifies violence against women, look at a film like Antichrist for example, almost nothing cut from the film, so a few blokes driving around with guns isn't going to worry anyone (you did watch Ashes to Ashes, no different to the The Sweeney, deliberately I guess). Daniel Craig well into his forties Not yet 42 but yeah, doesn't he look awful...

You are so wrong - in fact, the last person to be that wrong was Chamberlain when he stood up in the House Of Commons during the summer of 1939 and declared to safeguard Poland's sovereignty. That's how wrong you are...
emotion-2.gif

No, I really don't think I am. I think we're talking about different subjects and I'm right about the subject I'm talking about...

On a serious note: The board of censors are a law unto themselves, seem to change the goal posts as and when it pleases them. Generally speaking, if it's a film made for the wider public i.e. TV, then they seem to be very fickle [also the decision is with individual TV companies]and will probably frown at anything not deemed as politically correct. The perfect example is an episode of The Professionals called 'Klansman'. It has never been shown on mainstream TV in the UK, although regularly aired across Europe and the U.S.

Even one of my short film scripts had to be changed on one page due to some border line dialogue.

We're not talking about TV though (over which the BBFC has no jurisdiction I believe), we're talking about movie remakes and the BBFC would pass a Winstone/Craig Professionals remake without a second glance. If the film company don't like the certificate it gets (ie if it got a 15 and they wanted a 12A) then they might edit it to get the lower certificate but that's not censorship.

What TV companies do with their own productions is up to them and has no bearing on movie remakes and has nothing to do with a discussion about the same.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Set in in America and call it Bad Boys. You can then have as much furious driving and shooting, drinking and womanising as you want. Maybe not smoking though.

No. I am not serious
emotion-5.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
DavieCee:
Set in in America and call it Bad Boys. You can then have as much furious driving and shooting, drinking and womanising as you want. Maybe not smoking though.

No. I am not serious
emotion-5.gif

The point is made though, there are hundreds of films with as much driving, shooting, swearing and ahem, "womanising" as you'd want to see that get released over here every year, no one bats an eyelid, so the idea that there's some "PC" censorship body stopping anything like that from being made is utterly preposterous.

the_lhc:plastic penguin:the_lhc:plastic penguin:

emotion-2.gif
No, I really don't think I am. I think we're talking about different subjects and I'm right about the subject I'm talking about... On a serious note: The board of censors are a law unto themselves, seem to change the goal posts as and when it pleases them. Generally speaking, if it's a film made for the wider public i.e. TV, then they seem to be very fickle [also the decision is with individual TV companies]and will probably frown at anything not deemed as politically correct. The perfect example is an episode of The Professionals called 'Klansman'. It has never been shown on mainstream TV in the UK, although regularly aired across Europe and the U.S.

We're not talking about TV though (over which the BBFC has no jurisdiction I believe), we're talking about movie remakes and the BBFC would pass a Winstone/Craig Professionals remake without a second glance. If the film company don't like the certificate it gets (ie if it got a 15 and they wanted a 12A) then they might edit it to get the lower certificate but that's not censorship. What TV companies do with their own productions is up to them and has no bearing on movie remakes and has nothing to do with a discussion about the same.

By definition the censors do have juristiction over productions, albeit, as I mentioned earlier, it varies from one country to another (hence why I sited the Klansman episode). But a film of The Sweeney and The Professionals could not be made for cinema alone or with the gun-ho scenes of the originals. The same reason you couldn't remake programmes such as Rising Damp... crikey, people were up in arms about Allo Allo! Same with the film version of 'Til Death Us Do Part', even though the TV version was probably stronger...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:By definition the censors do have juristiction over productions,

What censors? If there's a TV censorship body they aren't doing much, have you seen Frankie Boyle's TV show?

But a film of The Sweeney and The Professionals could not be made for cinema alone

Why on earth not?

or with the gun-ho scenes of the originals.

I'm sorry PP but this is just nonsense, have you seen Hot Fuzz (I mention that one because ITV have been showing every week for about the last month)? More gung-ho gun-ho-ery in the last twenty minutes than an entire series of The Sweeney and it's filmed in Wells in Somerset.

The same reason you couldn't remake programmes such as Rising Damp... crikey, people were up in arms about Allo Allo!

What people? The only people complaining about Allo Allo were those wondering why such painfully unfunny rubbish was ever commissioned.

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:The question is. Will they get Waterman in to play Haskins?

...And will he sing the song over the credits.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:

Also Ray Winstone aged 53ish and Daniel Craig well into his forties (Dennis Waterman was in his twenties and John Thaw in his thirties). Could it work? course not...

I would have thought there would be every chance of a making the films now un pc and all. Look at the language and characters in Guy Richies gangster films or some even some of the hard hitting dramas.

At one point I maybe would have said it would a difficult thing getting permission to film the stunts and chases on public roads. A high profile movie would want landmark locations rather than back street. We had to say no to ITV wanting to film a fire engine crash scene on Leeds Inner Ring Road tunnels. It was an inconvenience of the road closure timing in that case. They wanted daylight filming in Winter months. Mind you they manage it with the James Bond films.

Nowadays with all the spending cuts I can imagine it would be lapped up. The charges the to the film company for the rights, paying to resurface the carriageway/footway from any damage etc would be a good earner.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
They filmed the motorway scene from The Fourth Protocol on a finished-but-not-yet-opened stretch of road* behind my school one summer. We were supposed to be having study breaks, but spent all our time trying to hang out with Michael Caine and Pierce Brosnan
emotion-2.gif

I distinctly remember the latter having to change his attire quite regularly, as the scene was supposed to be set in the winter, so he had thick clothes on. Ah, fond teenage memories
emotion-19.gif

* I see the road's fame lives on via IMDB
emotion-3.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:Bond in an XR3i!
emotion-8.gif

When in Essex...
emotion-5.gif

Anyway, he wasn't Bond yet - we knew him as Remington Steele.

Remington_Steele_006.jpg

Now there's a series that can probably be left back in the 1980s and not remade!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts