The re-tip saga deepens . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Devil and the deep blue sea . . .

Futher investigation indicates that if the cartridge suspension has gone as well as the stylus, the cartridge is a bin job. Suspention can be tweaked but replacement is not practical. Embrace Sumiko's PX scheme or move to an afordable replacement option?

Which leaves me in a dilema, I have been offered as PX, a brand new Benz Micro Wood at £575.00. Thats a bargin, a simple re-tip can be had for £250-£300 + £150 for a full service, suspention tweak? Leed times are very long, in one case, March next year.

The Benz Micro Ace has always been on the wish list, or the Glider, but the Micro Wood at almost a grand was out of my leage, however £575, thats a differant ball park? The other alternative is the Lyre, they sort of sit in the middle price wise.

. . . :? scratch head, which way to jump, its all on speculation, no auditions???

CJSF

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Could you not buy it and if you don't like it sell it on for the same money or even at a profit ? It does sound like a good buy . Is there anything wrong with it ?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
Which leaves me in a dilema, I have been offered as PX, a brand new Benz Micro Wood at £575.00.

Whats the dilema ?. Just ruddy buy it :).

CJSF said:
Leed times are very long, in one case, March next year.

I did try to forwarn you of this CJ but didnt want to put a stumbling block infront of you.

The Benz Wood is a belting cart CJ, well i like it lets put it that way ;).

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeh, yeh, yeh . . . I know, its to good to miss, as SL says, buy the 'Benz Wood', dont like it, sell on. Applies to the re-tiped Sumiko if it can be retiped, I should be able to get money back.

I'm just being me, over causious, wait to long, and miss out, I have dithered to long before . . . ! :wall:

Then all I have to worry about is which one I like, and which one to sell on . . . ???

A nice problem to have . . . CJS:)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
Could you not buy it and if you don't like it sell it on for the same money or even at a profit ? It does sound like a good buy . Is there anything wrong with it ?

Brand new, latest spec., I just hapen to be in the right place, right time, pressing the right buttons???

Yes you are all right, I cant loose, its a no brainer. The PX has nothing to do with the Sumiko, I get to keep that.

Just had another look at my notes, I can have a 'Glider', same PX, for £489, forgot about that option, however I feel the Wood is a better option?

Phone call first thing in the morning I think.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thats it, job done, 'Woody' on order, waiting on the post. I need to get this shelf made and up, down the shed for a few hours!!!

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Oh boo, and here was me thinking this would be a nice, interesting snooker thread...

It may continue to be interesting The_Lhc? I am still going to have the Sumiko retiped, if practical, probably with the same Gyger S stylus that is on the Benz? Then I have comparisons to make, and there is the new isolation TT shelf, how much differance will that make?

Its just that now it will take time . . . facts not conjecture8)

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Been in the shed all day, well, from about 11 o'clock, the donor cottage arm chair made of some very nice beach has supplied all the wood required. The basic frame is now ready to square up on the wall properly, then a good rub down, wax stain to match the pine of the cottage doors, and finaly mount on the wall.

I recon I will be listening to music over the weekend?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Is that it !. 4 hrs + in the shed and all you have is a basic frame ;). Only pulling your leg CJ, nice one mate. :)

Yep I'm slow, a lot of cut a try, but I am enjoying it, sparked me into some action, I needed something to get me going? I have a few project that I have been putting off.

Day off tomorow, we need to visit the high street, bank, opticians, pound shop, most important, Hazel wants a couple of knitting pattern and a sowing needle threader . . . !

By the way Floyd, I had a lonnnnng chat on the phone with Dominic Harp of Northwest Analogue. He and I think very much alike, almost uncanily so at times? . . . very positive vibes, it was like turning the clock back 25 years, I'm looking forward to meeting him.

CJSF

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Aye , measure it twice cut it once. With any luck !,lol.

By all accounts Dom is a good egg and a clever so and so to boot. Dont listen to or even look at his slate plinthed 401 set up whatever you do. Your wallet might start itching ;).

Out of interest, what output Wood did you buy CJ.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Aye , measure it twice cut it once. With any luck !,lol.

By all accounts Dom is a good egg and a clever so and so to boot. Dont listen to or even look at his slate plinthed 401 set up whatever you do. Your wallet might start itching ;).

Out of interest, what output Wood did you buy CJ.

O'dear Floyd, I'm meeting Dom in a few weeks? I will be in for a treat by the sound of it, take some of my well loved vinyl along he said?

I've seen pics of the slate plinths, on the 401 they will be to big for my cottage, however I wonder if he does a 'P5 size' one? Thats actualy one of the resons we are meeting, because of the work I have done on my P5, 'have P5 will travel'.

As I said, he and I think along the same lines, we have no truck with 'upgrade dross and flim flam'. He works with the same damping paramiters that I have and did in the 80's, and his view on cable is exactly the same as I have believed for 30 years, something I have never gone into detail on the forum. We disagree on dirationality . . . 3 out of 4 aint bad:)

Yes I went for the Low output wood Benz, I have a Carver MC transformer with variable loads, not disimilar to the 'EAR head', that I used to have in my previous life, the Carver comes close. While the Sumiko is with Dom, I will have a chance to try the Benz in an extended audition, get the Sumi back and see how they compare. There may be some dilema about which to keep, might indulge myself and keep both . . . ? :?

Ah well back to the TT shelf tomorrow and my man is coming to tidy the gardens for the winter as well. Greeves me that I cant get down low to do my own garden, dodgy knee, sore shins and feet, I'm finding getting old aint much fun . . . ?

Fortunatly hifi is undemanding in the bending stakes . . . although standing in the shed yesterday took its toll today.

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
Greeves me that I cant get down low to do my own garden, dodgy knee, sore shins and feet, I'm finding getting old aint much fun . . . ?

Since February I have lost 3.5 stone in weight (and kept it off). Part of my weekly nosh now consists of a big pile of dressed watercress and a small tin of pink salmon for lunch a couple of times a week. (Or sardines sometimes.) I also consume about 5 red grapefruits a week. (Before February this would have been a couple of bacon rolls and a cake or biscuits!)

Back then (pre-diet) I couldn't do four flights of stairs without pausing for breath and cursing my knees. Kneeling for any length of time almost meant having to 'plan' how to get back up with the least joint pain.

Now however I can trot, rather than walk, up four flights of stairs without knees protesting at all and get up, after kneeling, with as much ease as I could 20 years ago.

There are many days now when I actually forget I have knees anymore. (At the beginning of the year they wouldn't let me forget!)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
CJSF said:
Greeves me that I cant get down low to do my own garden, dodgy knee, sore shins and feet, I'm finding getting old aint much fun . . . ?

Since February I have lost 3.5 stone in weight (and kept it off). Part of my weekly nosh now consists of a big pile of dressed watercress and a small tin of pink salmon for lunch a couple of times a week. (Or sardines sometimes.) I also consume about 5 red grapefruits a week. (Before February this would have been a couple of bacon rolls and a cake or biscuits!)

Back then (pre-diet) I couldn't do four flights of stairs without pausing for breath and cursing my knees. Kneeling for any length of time almost meant having to 'plan' how to get back up with the least joint pain.

Now however I can trot, rather than walk, up four flights of stairs without knees protesting at all and get up, after kneeling, with as much ease as I could 20 years ago.

There are many days now when I actually forget I have knees anymore. (At the beginning of the year they wouldn't let me forget!)

Very comendable Chebby and so you shoud as a young'un . . . Whilst not a light weight, my knee problem is due to slipping on a patch of oil and coming down on a hatch comming when servicing my boat, 8 years ago, not hepled by heavy lifting in my younger days. Doc's said they could not do anything at the time, but come back when I got older and the pain was worse!!!! I am not volentering for a knee replacement yet?

My mum ate like a rabbit all her life, still she died at 59 . . . Here mother; my Grandmother and Aunti Ivy, her sister, were both very big ladies, they both made mid 90's . . . life is a lottery? I employed a guy for many years, he turned side ways to a lampost to hide . . . he did not come into work one morning, he had had a masive heart attack on the way to work, his car ended up in the local duck pond, he was 62.

I dont smoke, drink in extreem moderation and take exercise (as much as I can!) every day, when the number is up, you will know, I will stop posting8)

CJSF

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
Yes I went for the Low output wood Benz, I have a Carver MC transformer with variable loads, not disimilar to the 'EAR head', that I used to have in my previous life, the Carver comes close. While the Sumiko is with Dom, I will have a chance to try the Benz in an extended audition, get the Sumi back and see how they compare. There may be some dilema about which to keep, might indulge myself and keep both . . . ? :?

CJSF

Yip , i run the SL version Cj. Tis pretty good straight out of the tin , its not scritty like a fair few i could mention. Just a little tight i spose. If you have the patience give it at least 30 to 40 hrs and you will, over that period, hear the difference. Ok, we have different set ups plus one mans meat is anothers....... But i will be quite surprised if you dont like it tbh.

Assuming that you do like the Benz then go for it and keep both. I have a fair few carts and quite enjoy bodging around between them now and again.

Dont talk to me about ruddy knees !!!.

Have fun mate. :)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

Yip , i run the SL version Cj. Tis pretty good straight out of the tin , its not scritty like a fair few i could mention. Just a little tight i spose. If you have the patience give it at least 30 to 40 hrs and you will, over that period, hear the difference. Ok, we have different set ups plus one mans meat is anothers....... But i will be quite surprised if you dont like it tbh.

Assuming that you do like the Benz then go for it and keep both. I have a fair few carts and quite enjoy bodging around between them now and again.

Dont talk to me about ruddy knees !!!.

Have fun mate. :)

Its a whole new ball park this expensive cartridge world . . . and I've not even got it in the arm, the shelf is not up!!! I am dealing with two companies. The first is a small, one or two man band, cant do enough for you, the other is lager, much more slick but wanting to give as much value as they can . . . what a refreshing change from the way things seem to be in the retail market in general these days.

Good old fashoned service with a smile. My Sumiko will be re tiped by Northwestern Analogue, such a nice and informative guy is Dominic, I look forward to meeting him personaly. Expert Stylus Co. could not look at a re tip befor March next year! Turns out they are stylus makers, re tiping is a side line and fitted in around their work load, making loads of stylus, seems the vinyl revelution is going on a pace. However, the offer of a Benz Wood was so well priced, I went for the 'stop gap' . . . some stop gap.

Such attention to detail, I was phoned yesterday evening to tell me my payment had been recieved and the Benz was in 1st class post garenteed delivery by 1pm. It arived about 11 o'clock, the box it came in was so neat, the closeing tapes were all just the right length, presentation inside was the same, perfection, down to the tape holding the bubble wrap, it was folded over at the end to make it easy to find and remove! This attention to detail was carried on to the cartridge box itself, wraped by Benz in a protective white sheet, the wraping was so neat it coud have been a Christmas present.

The cartridge is protected in a machined teak coloured wooden block, with spirit level, graph read out, spec., sheet and tools, the whole is enclosed with a clear, flat perspex lid held on with brass screwes.

Looking at the cartridge itself, it is a work of art, with a boron cantaliver so fine 0.28mm, such pleasure in the detail and I have not got it near the arm . . . :)

CJSF

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Take yer time and source a cork !. Once you get into 1k+ cart territory you develop nerves that you didnt know that you had,lol. Oh and the towel holder tends to pucker a tad.

A couple of yrs ago at my mates he said to me "stick a record on". Cart was a Transfig Orpheus (sit down when you google the price).

I told him to eff off and do it yourself,lol. Although i did stick one on but i tell ya twas a tad hairy and i wasnt even bolting it to the headshell,lol.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Finished in the shed for today, showerd, sipping at a cupa, Hazel says, "are you going to get the TT shelf up tomorrow, and will you put the new cartridge in" :roll: . . .

To put the new shelf up, I have to unload the existing book shelf draw unit, drag it out of the room, then carfully position the new TT shelf. I dont know about taking my time with the cartridge, I aint rushing at hanging the 'CJSF Cottage arm chair', its got to be just so . . . the screw holes are 6mm, hopfully I can get a 6mm masonary drill in the hole and use the shelf, hung on its center hole as a pattern, if not 5mm will have to do? Useing the masonary drill hole as a pilot for the 10mm holes I need, it might even be better to work them up 1mm at a time, tedious, but more accurate?

:doh: There is as much stress in hanging the TT shelf as there is in installing a £1000 cartridge with out a stylus guard!!!

Befor that, there is a remodel job to be done on the bookshelf to create CD storage and utalise the draws . . . with out affecting the room and hifi sound quality, the amplifyer and CD will have to sit on the remodelled draw cupboard . . . ? Then and only then will I comit to putting the new cartridge in.

CJSF

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Aye i dont blame ya for that CJ, get the thankless tasks out of the way first. Did i not mention the lack of stylus guard,hee hee. Anyways i think im correct in stating that your Sumi dosnt have one either, does it ?.

I tend to go a bit (no pun intended) at a time with masonary drills mate. As you say 'tedious' but they tend to be unforgiving little buggers. I hate drilling the walls at Floyd Towers, lumps of sodding granite waiting to send the drill off target. Start with a 3mm drill , blow out the dust,end result a ruddy horizontal mineshaft.

I know of a cracking solution for ceedee storage. Looks a bit like this......

images

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
I know of a cracking solution for ceedee storage. Looks a bit like this......

images

Mmm, yes Floyd, I have said to Hazel before, how about scraping the CD shelves, we use Spotify when we want a no trouble listen. I have a load of pictures on the computer, have one printed on canvas on a fram and put that on the wall above the TT, some delicate lighting, very nice . . . ;)

I will put it to her again? One would not dump the CD's, they have memories and I do like a few in the car . . . but for most, back to the loft from whence they came? Shame, it was the rediscovery of the CD collection in the loft that first started this journy back into hifi, the finding of the vinyl collection came later.

No guard on the Sumiko . . . may be so, mine came with a guard that was obviously pinched from another cartridge by the previous owner. . . . ?

CJSF

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
Finished in the shed for today, showerd, sipping at a cupa, Hazel says, "are you going to get the TT shelf up tomorrow, and will you put the new cartridge in" :roll: . . .

To put the new shelf up, I have to unload the existing book shelf draw unit, drag it out of the room, then carfully position the new TT shelf. I dont know about taking my time with the cartridge, I aint rushing at hanging the 'CJSF Cottage arm chair', its got to be just so . . . the screw holes are 6mm, hopfully I can get a 6mm masonary drill in the hole and use the shelf, hung on its center hole as a pattern, if not 5mm will have to do? Useing the masonary drill hole as a pilot for the 10mm holes I need, it might even be better to work them up 1mm at a time, tedious, but more accurate?

:doh: There is as much stress in hanging the TT shelf as there is in installing a £1000 cartridge with out a stylus guard!!!

Befor that, there is a remodel job to be done on the bookshelf to create CD storage and utalise the draws . . . with out affecting the room and hifi sound quality, the amplifyer and CD will have to sit on the remodelled draw cupboard . . . ? Then and only then will I comit to putting the new cartridge in.

CJSF

CJ ,

I had my friend who is a joiner make me a turntable shelf , with hinged lid which will have gas struts when I get around to sourcing them , out of oak that I supplied to him . At present it is coach screwed to oak posts in the bedroom in the " cowshed" while I am renovating the main house . I have already made provision for the turntable shelf in the lounge by resin bolting four lengths of M10 threaded rod into the stone wall before I plastered it . The wall is so wonky that I also fixed oak mounting plates through the threaded bar so that the shelf will be plumb when the time comes to fix it .

I read that you will be drilling 10mm holes for the fixings , what are you planning to use to fix the shelf ?

Nick

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

CJ ,

I had my friend who is a joiner make me a turntable shelf , with hinged lid which will have gas struts when I get around to sourcing them , out of oak that I supplied to him . At present it is coach screwed to oak posts in the bedroom in the " cowshed" while I am renovating the main house . I have already made provision for the turntable shelf in the lounge by resin bolting four lengths of M10 threaded rod into the stone wall before I plastered it . The wall is so wonky that I also fixed oak mounting plates through the threaded bar so that the shelf will be plumb when the time comes to fix it .

I read that you will be drilling 10mm holes for the fixings , what are you planning to use to fix the shelf ?

Nick

There will be a total of 7, No 10, 3" screws, 5 across the main spreader, 3 in the top and 2 lower down on the same spreader to spread the load, plus 1 each at the bottom stabalisers. Nice firm fixing for my P5 TT onto a solid wall.

I presume Shropshire lad, you are going to have a tank of a TT on your shelf, it cerainly wont move, but the wood will give? The studs are a good idea if the wall is that uneven, giving 3D adjustment, especialy if you include elongated holes and large griping washers.

The provision made on comercial metal shelves that I have seen looks like screws, not many hifi'ers would be able to do any more. I did think about raw bolts? . . . nah, over kill!

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts