the primare has got a friend.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i've got a primare i30 on demo again, but this time its brought a roksan caspian cd player. playing arcade fire at the moment and if it sounds like this tomorrow when the neighbours are out, then my wallet is in big trouble. however, the primare let slip earlier that unbeknown to the caspian a little cyrus cd6se is also joining the party tomorrow, which cheered my wallet up somewhat.
emotion-2.gif

first impressions of the caspian cdp, is it sounds exactley like the mag's review, so good work there.
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

I haven't even heard the I30 but if I've been drooling over pictures of it for the last couple of months and from what people have said on here and other boards it must sound pretty special. The thing is, I couldn't really justify buying one and then connecting my Diamond 9.1's to it so it would have to be a major upgrade.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Craig M.:sorry Joel,ÿ i meant a better looking,more cool and funky version of simon cowell.ÿ i must try to be more clear.
emotion-2.gif

Much better fella.ÿ

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the cyrus has it. if i had leaner sounding speakers i think it would have been the caspian. caspian has more bass detail and a slightly warmer sound to it, the cyrus has slightly leaner bass, clearer mid and a touch more prominent treble. things like kick drums have incredible speed and impact but it fared slightly less well with more relaxed music.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
bum. the cd6se has just refused to read arcade fire - neon bible. the cd is pristine so i'm slightly concerned. on the whole the transport in it does seem slightly flaky. you need to be very gentle when inserting a disk.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Craig M.:bum.ÿ the cd6se has just refused to read arcade fire - neon bible.ÿ the cd is pristine so i'm slightly concerned.ÿ on the whole the transport in it does seem slightly flaky.ÿ you need to be very gentle when inserting a disk.

Best go for an Arc then fella

ÿ

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
well, after initialy being very impressed with the cyrus, i started to find it a little too full-on. i tried the caspian again and this time the bass didn't seem a touch too powerful and the overall sound had a nice warmth to the mid and treble compared to the cyrus. so i think i'm sold on the caspian and am going to compare the primare with a cyrus pre + 8power. i'm feeling a little giddy right now, both from the sound, and the dent to my wallet. if you're happy with your kit, don't go listening to something more expensive. i'm never going in a hi-fi shop again.
emotion-9.gif

A

Anonymous

Stick with the Caspian and Primare, forget the Cyrus pre/power IMO. Good kit but not as good :)

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
are you reading my mind? to be honest, this combo sounds so good, i don't want to have to go to bed tonight. the amp seems to have two sounds, dreamy and musical at low volume, and as you turn it up, more purpose but still musical. i played all sorts through it from the chemical brothers and black sabbath, to piano solos and string quartet and it sounded great. i think i'm in love.
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

Quit while you're ahead! You've picked the CDP and amp I'd go straight for with that budget. The only sidestep might be the Primare matching CDP as it suits my prime listening, i.e. a little more laid back. Absolutely superb stuff, enjoy it!

A

Anonymous

Craig M.:you are a bad man J.D.
...you just have to look at his signature...

John Duncan

Well, I know that Clare loves the Caspian, and when I heard it it was certainly pretty good, but the Primare's still a top notch disc player (two product of the year awards if I remember), and if the amp's going to have a friend, it might as well be one with the same remote..........

A

Anonymous

Craig M.:bum. the cd6se has just refused to read arcade fire - neon bible. the cd is pristine so i'm slightly concerned. on the whole the transport in it does seem slightly flaky. you need to be very gentle when inserting a disk.

That disc does not work for me on an 8SE - did you get it fixed?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts