The Perfect / Most Enjoyable / the Most Flawless Hi-Fi Combination According to You

StevenKay

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi Audiophiles and all Music Lovers

The Perfect / Most Enjoyable / the Most Flawless Hi-Fi Combination According to You

Is having a perfect Hi-Fi System only a dream? Or is it something actually achievable in real life? It would be interesting to know what according to you would be the ideal, most flawless combination (Amp / Speakers and Source) for such a perfect system, budget or no budget. Your views are welcome.

Steven Kay

StevenKay said:

Is having a perfect Hi-Fi System only a dream? Or is it something actually achievable in real life? It would be interesting to know what according to you would be the ideal, most flawless combination (Amp / Speakers and Source) for such a perfect system, budget or no budget. Your views are welcome.

Steven Kay

There's no such thing as a PERFECT sounding system. I've never heard a flawless system, incl a 10k set-up. More realistically, one has to take into account whether the system reaches or excels expectation.

My current system is very good considering the disparity between each component's RRPs, but it ain't perfect.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
There's no such thing as a PERFECT sounding system. I've never heard a flawless system, incl a 10k set-up. More realistically, one has to take into account whether the system reaches or excels expectation.

Agree with you PP. I've lived with the same system for the best part of 14 years now. It's not perfect, but it has so many wonderful moments that to change it would be a bit of a crime, and probably also be a let down. I think a good hi-fi is a bit like having a good woman, she's not a supermodel, but she has enough to keep you interested, and occasionally makes you go 'WOW!'

manicm

I won't claim it was an audiophile system, but it brought me immense pleasure - maybe I just liked the sound:

Technics SU-V4X amplifier 'New Class A'

Technics CD Player

Technics direct-drive quartz turntable

Technics speakers - twin tweeters (tweeter and supertweeter). These had fairly big woofers, cabinet wide but shallow.

I have heard Rotels and NADs, my own Arcam Solo Mini, my dad's current Yamaha amp, and none could beat the Technics system for transparency, speed and bass.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Perfect / Most Enjoyable / the Most Flawless Hi-Fi Combination According to You :)

For me, there have been many systems over the years, but if I was to settle on a system to live with day in day out, it'd be a Bryston/KEF Reference combo, which just work so beautifully together. It does everything I want from a system, and sounds phenomenal with the genres of music I listen to. Probably no surprises in that answer, but hey ho :) I could quite easily say an entry level Naim system with a decent £500 loudspeaker, but I know I'd upgrade.

Mr Morph said:
plastic penguin said:

Agree with you PP. I've lived with the same system for the best part of 14 years now. It's not perfect, but it has so many wonderful moments that to change it would be a bit of a crime, and probably also be a let down. I think a good hi-fi is a bit like having a good woman, she's not a supermodel, but she has enough to keep you interested, and occasionally makes you go 'WOW!'

Mind you, in saying that, I'm not sure if I would recognise a perfect system even if I heard one...:~

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
probably not pefect but I remember hearing a Pioneer 12D, A&R A60 and Mission 720's and that seemed wonderful to me,I have the speakers and occasionally get tempted on ebay.It started me on the hifi thing about 35 years ago and still going........

A

Anonymous

I still have very fond memories of my NAD C370 Amp NAD C542 CD Player combined with B&W 602 S3 speakers. Hopefully my new Caspian and EB2 speakers should be better...

StevenKay

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin

Mr Morph

manicm

FrankHarveyHiFi

Thanks to all of you for some very interesting responses. I think we all crave for perfection (total satisfaction) in the Hi-Fi combinations we build. That probably is the main reason that most of us upgrade the systems from time to time as newer and better affordable audio products are launched. Of course the decisions are dictated by personal tastes, likings and the money at disposal. All said and done, it is a great hobby and the joy of listening to your favourite music on your carefully chosen system is perhaps unmatched by anything else.

Steven Kay

A

Anonymous

Some Martin Logan Vantages for me, driven either by Electrocompaniet or Krell. Source the V-DAC and Technics SL1200/Benz micro.

StevenKay said:

Steven Kay

Hi StevenKay

My main system which consists of Chord Electronics QBD76 DAC, ATC SCA2 Reference pre amplifier and ATC SCM100ASL Professional monitors :)

Not perfect but nevertheless still easily capable of reproducing scary levels of performance (particularly the mid range and bass) :bigsmile:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Messiah

For me it would be the Meridian DSP8000s. I have still not heard anything better.

Guess the source could be a Sooloos or Meridian Reference CD player but I would probably be as happy with a basic computer based source.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Linn Klimax + Pathos Synapse/Adrenalin Monoblocks + Sonus Faber Phoenix - all wired with Cardas Clear I/C & Clear Beyond S/C + Shunyata King Cobra CX P/Cs ( :p )

:love:

Cno

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
My ATC scm50asl's paired with the JL Audio f112 sub is the best speaker combination ive owned, and one of the best ive heard.

My source needs upgrading, but ive had it from new in 2003, and its been the front of several different systems changes since then so must be doing something right as it still impresses me today.

A

Anonymous

Maybe I won't have enough money in this life to afford the following system, but ...

Separetes Amp: Accuphase Power A65 (pure Class A) + Pre-amp C-3800

Source: Accuphase DP-800 (trasnport) + DC-801 (SACD/CD D/A converter)

Loudspeakers: Tannoy Kingdom Royal

Also:

Separates Amp: Luxman C-1000f pre-amp + 2 x M-800A pure Class A power amps (bridged to run as monoblock)

Digital Source: full dCS Scarlatti setup

Loudspeakers: Wilson Audio Alexandria 2

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Linn Klimax + Pathos Synapse/Adrenalin Monoblocks + Sonus Faber Phoenix - all wired with Cardas Clear I/C & Clear Beyond S/C + Shunyata King Cobra CX P/Cs ( :p ) :love: Cno

smiley-surprised.gif

:love: :love: :love:

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Linn Klimax + Pathos Synapse/Adrenalin Monoblocks + Sonus Faber Phoenix - all wired with Cardas Clear I/C & Clear Beyond S/C + Shunyata King Cobra CX P/Cs ( :p ) :love: Cno

great combo! but I thought I would be more realistic about my pick :)

source: not too picky about it. any dual dac, feedbackless class A tubed CDP or stand alone DAC will do

amp: definitely inpol form Pathos (realistically Pathos Inpol2 but I wouldn't mind having InControl + InPower combo :] but it doubles the price for the amp... :/)

speakers: Dynaudio Confidence C1

I thing this set up would bring anybody freakishly close to the real thing.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
CnoEvil said:

great combo! but I thought I would be more realistic about my pick :)

source: not too picky about it. any dual dac, feedbackless class A tubed CDP or stand alone DAC will do

amp: definitely inpol form Pathos (realistically Pathos Inpol2 but I wouldn't mind having InControl + InPower combo :] but it doubles the price for the amp... :/)

More moderate: Pathos Digit + Sugden M'class IA4 + SF Cremona Auditor M

Positively Cheap: Linn Sneaky + Sugden A21 SE + Proac D18

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:

i like it
smiley-wink.gif

I would just get a Chord QBD 76 and pair with Sonus Faber Amati to the Inpol2 and that should be it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts