The perfect (budget) amp to pair with Avi Neutron V speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Could really do with some good advice here? I have been ampless for a few months now which is causing me to pull my hair out. My prev amp a Nad C352 blew up and now i need a quick and cheapish replacement..

My budget is no more than £300 so would consider new or a decent 2nd hand one. I do find the Avi's tad bright which may be due to my source (Cambridge 640c v2) or maybe not? Anyway does anyone have any good ideas on an amp powerful to drive these speakers and also that may tame some of the brightness?

Not keen on buying Nad or CA again btw. I have been looking at the Harmon Kardon HK3490 which while being a receiver does havd many good features and some excellent reviews so not too sure if any of you may think this would be a good match.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!
smiley-smile.gif

Ta

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Yamaha A-S500.

This satisifies AVI's requirement that you use a powerful amp with the Neutron Vs. (The Yamaha is 85watts per channel.)

What Hi-Fi award winner and 5 star review etc.

Even has tone controls!

Can't go wrong really. Rude not to :)

John Duncan

I doubt the cambridge is the problem - I found it a great CD player, and never found it bright. It's usually a minor mismatch between amp and speaker which causes problems like that.

I had my Neutron Vs on the end of a Primare A20 MkII, the going rate for which is around your budget, but you could be waiting a long time. In the absence of one of those, I'd still consider the Cambridge 650A or this.

A

Anonymous

Thx for the info fellas. My only concern about the Yamaha is the reported harshness which does put me off.

Funnily enough i have been looking at that same Rotel!! but am slightly concerned that the low wattage (40) puts me off a little as i think it may not be sufficient to drive my speakers. I am rather fond of loud listening levels and like to crank things up at times.

Am i wrong?

John Duncan

jimmy1973 said:
Thx for the info fellas. My only concern about the Yamaha is the reported harshness which does put me off.

Funnily enough i have been looking at that same Rotel!! but am slightly concerned that the low wattage (40) puts me off a little as i think it may not be sufficient to drive my speakers. I am rather fond of loud listening levels and like to crank things up at times.

Am i wrong?

It's a valid point. If you want loads of power, then the Cambridge or another NAD would be the obvious choices, or a second hand AV receiver (which is not a bad idea actually...)

Otherwise, I like Chebby's Yamaha idea, though I haven't heard it.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jimmy1973 said:
My only concern about the Yamaha is the reported harshness which does put me off.

If you mean the WHF review then the wording was...

"Tonally the A-S500 is slightly bright, but in any sensibly chosen system this only contributes to the sense of sparkle."

...and no mention of harshness at all.

Besides that, the Yamaha has decent tone controls (it is not a crime to use them) and a tweak back one notch on the treble (or one notch up on the bass) is not going to bring the 'purist police' screaming to your front-door!

If it is your CA 640 that is causing the 'brightness' then what are you going to do? Keep buying compensatory components until it eventually dies?

T

the record spot

chebby said:
Yamaha A-S500.

This satisifies AVI's requirement that you use a powerful amp with the Neutron Vs. (The Yamaha is 85watts per channel.)

What Hi-Fi award winner and 5 star review etc.

Even has tone controls!

Can't go wrong really. Rude not to :)

15 watts short mate. They're on about 100wpc these days. Anything less is a non-starter by all accounts. Believe what you will, etc.
smiley-wink.gif

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I took my Neutron too a dealer in Rotterdam and tried some other amps + speakers to compare.

The Exposure 2010s2 did a very fine job with my neutrons, altough still prefer the AVI amp,dac, sub.

T

the record spot

Incidentally if the HK is still an option, it'll deliver 120wpc with a decent current delivery too. Worth hearing I think.

A

Anonymous

The HK is a very good choice and will drive your speakers very well! Also the bigger CA amps 840?
Nick

A

Anonymous

Further thx for all the advice guys. Actually went ahead and bought the HK receiver and i am flabbergasted at just how good it is and how well it pairs up with the speakers. A very smooth sounding amp yet clear and detailed with nice bass. Very recommended in the price range and a bit of an unsung hero
smiley-smile.gif

Things absolutely masive though.

Makes me wonder just how good HK's integrateds are! - far better sounding than both the CA 640 and NAD 352..

Happy at last!!

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
poldo said:
The Exposure 2010s2 did a very fine job with my neutrons, altough still prefer the AVI amp,dac, sub.

One is £736 (Exposure) and the other is a £900 option.

The OP has a budget of £300

never thought about 2nd hand? You can find the exposure 2010s for around 350 pounds, and the older 2010 for much less.

T

the record spot

jimmy1973 said:
Further thx for all the advice guys. Actually went ahead and bought the HK receiver and i am flabbergasted at just how good it is and how well it pairs up with the speakers. A very smooth sounding amp yet clear and detailed with nice bass. Very recommended in the price range and a bit of an unsung hero
smiley-smile.gif

Things absolutely masive though.

Makes me wonder just how good HK's integrateds are! - far better sounding than both the CA 640 and NAD 352..

Happy at last!!

Delighted to hear it - the HK brand is long underrated in this country; their HK1200 & HK1400 amps did very well in the late 90s, good reviews and don't hang around long on the net when the crop up. The HK6500 is another. Huge demand in Germany, the UK never really caught on and likewise with its current line, but as you see from the HK3420, the spec and it seems the sound quality belie the lowly pricetag. Awrite Jimmy!
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts