The old one box or two box chestnut

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm considering an upgrade to my old, cheap scart only DVD player as I have a nice new panasonic plasma. Thing is, my CD player is a little long in the tooth now too.

I currently have an Arcam A75 amp and mission m73 speakers (I'm not bothered about surround sound) so have been considering the great deal I could get on an Arcam DV79 at the moment. Aesthetically, and I hope tonally, this would compliment my amp, sound great for music (which is important for me) and give me a great HDMI visual upgrade in the proess. All in one neat box.

But ... for the same kind of cash, I could go the two box route with something like the Arcam CD73 and the slighlty aesthetically mis-matched Denon 1930 DVD player (which has upscaling over the Arcam DV79 but is that really going to give a better picture?)

Is it a matter of prioritising music over movies, or will the DV79 give me as good musical results as the two box option?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
IMHO the DV79 is a match for the CD73 as a CD player, so I'd go down that route. It's also a pretty good DVD player, and should work well with your new plasma

A

Anonymous

I purchased a DV79 (second hand) last month, it's connected to my Cambridge Audio 650A amp and ELAC BS244 speakers.

I chose the DV79 over the CD73 mainly for the DVD-A capabilities of the DV79. I'm very happy with the quality of audio I get when playing CDs, but playing DVD-A discs is another, better story - it's totally awesome. I'm sure the DV79 will feel at home next to the A75!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts