• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

The Night Manager (2016)

Xanderzdad

New member
Jun 25, 2008
146
0
0
Any good in your opinion. Aiming to watch it tonight (although may save up the episodes and bingle watch in case it is too complicated to retain week by week!)
 

Vladimir

New member
Dec 26, 2013
220
4
0
Cheesy in a Le Carré way, but very good in a Le Carré way. Actors are great, visuals are stunning, story begins in a Swiss resort... If you are a fan of 007, Bourne Trilogy and similar, you will like this.
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,232
4
19,195
Vladimir said:
Cheesy in a Le Carré way, but very good in a Le Carré way. Actors are great, visuals are stunning, story begins in a Swiss resort... If you are a fan of 007, Bourne Trilogy and similar, you will like this.
You didn't notice it started in an Egyptian hotel during the revolution in 2011? (For at least half of the episode.)
 

Vladimir

New member
Dec 26, 2013
220
4
0
chebby said:
Vladimir said:
Cheesy in a Le Carré way, but very good in a Le Carré way. Actors are great, visuals are stunning, story begins in a Swiss resort... If you are a fan of 007, Bourne Trilogy and similar, you will like this.
You didn't notice it started in an Egyptian hotel during the revolution in 2011? (For at least half of the episode.)
It does but I mentioned the Swiss only as a classical spy movie location to capture the style of the film. Don't want to give out too many spoilers. ;)
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,232
4
19,195
I downloaded everything I didn't already have by John Le Carre last year when I was in hospital a lot and needed more stuff to listen to ...



(Unabridged, 19 hours)
 

Vladimir

New member
Dec 26, 2013
220
4
0
chebby said:
I downloaded everything I didn't already have by John Le Carre last year when I was in hospital a lot and needed more stuff to listen to ...

(Unabridged, 19 hours)
Arrgghhh that is tempting.... :)
 

Xanderzdad

New member
Jun 25, 2008
146
0
0
Vladimir said:
Cheesy in a Le Carré way, but very good in a Le Carré way. Actors are great, visuals are stunning, story begins in a Swiss resort... If you are a fan of 007, Bourne Trilogy and similar, you will like this.
That would be a yes and a yes. Excellent - really looking forward to it and for once the wife is joining me for a spy movie (she was seduced by the quality casting).
 

The_Lhc

New member
Oct 16, 2008
1,176
1
0
chebby said:
I downloaded everything I didn't already have by John Le Carre last year when I was in hospital a lot and needed more stuff to listen to ...

(Unabridged, 19 hours)
Le Carre has apparently been quoted as saying that they've changed his story quite considerably but in a good way.
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,232
4
19,195
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:
I downloaded everything I didn't already have by John Le Carre last year when I was in hospital a lot and needed more stuff to listen to ...

(Unabridged, 19 hours)
Le Carre has apparently been quoted as saying that they've changed his story quite considerably but in a good way.
I try to view each new interpretation on it's own merits (like the 'Tinker Tailor' movie) but it's sometimes difficult to get on with every director's 're-imagining' of his work given that I have been reading his books since my mid teens.

I think I will 'keep my own counsel' on the remaining episodes for fear of of getting labelled an 'old fart' for enjoying the original books.

I am - so far at least - looking forward to the remaining episodes but that's where i'll leave it.
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
I watched it...Beautifully shot, great actors, but hasn't sucked me in the same way "Odyssey" did. Early days though and it certainly has potential.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS