The new Samsung Galaxy Tab..Same as the old one??

A

Anonymous

I just want what i think is best, i don't care if it's made by Morphy Richards :)

A

Anonymous

Just odd that it should take some backwards steps, and that the screen resolution should stay the same, when the iPad's has doubled. Perhaps Samsung didn't think it a wise move to compete with the iPad on spec.

John Duncan

ooh.. said:
Just odd that it should take some backwards steps, and that the screen resolution should stay the same, when the iPad's has doubled. Perhaps Samsung didn't think it a wise move to compete with the iPad on spec.

Perhaps Samsung thought that the resolution of the old iPad was pleny good enough to watch HD movies and that all the res of the new iPad does is make app icons look sharper (and drain the battery).

Cameras on a tablet are pointless except for skype/facetime.

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
ooh.. said:

Perhaps Samsung thought that the resolution of the old iPad was pleny good enough to watch HD movies and that all the res of the new iPad does is make app icons look sharper (and drain the battery).

Cameras on a tablet are pointless except for skype/facetime.
I compared the 2 and new iPads side by side, and the new one's screen is much crisper, it makes for a much better web browsing experience IMO, better gaming, 1080p video playback, just better all round, IMO..

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
ooh.. said:
Well, if they're 1080p they play at 720p on the iPad 2, and 1080p on the new iPad..

Have you seen a 720p movie on the iPad? Magnificent. Measurements are not everything Max...
I didn't say they were. But the new iPad has a visibly, much better screen than the old, and than the forthcoming Galaxy tab. Side by side viewing would confirm this easily.

John Duncan

ooh.. said:
I didn't say they were. But the new iPad has a visibly, much better screen than the old, and than the forthcoming Galaxy tab.

You're missing my point. The screens of the iPad 2 and Samsung Tab are more than adequate for 99% of their intended purpose, and the extra screen resolution requires processing power which slows it down. It's like the camera megapixel wars; the resolution required for most people has already been met, and the increased resolution being provided is more about marketing than anything.

ooh.. said:
Side by side viewing would confirm this easily.

Ah, sighted testing...

A

Anonymous

JD, IMO there is a certain, minimum pixel density, in relation to screen size, and intended viewing distance, that will ensure no pixels are evident on the various small, multi media displays. Apple coined the phrase "retina display" to describe it. This has only been reached by the new iPad so far, in the world of tablets. And by the iPhone 4, Galaxy Nexus, Sony Xperia S and HTC One X, with smartphones.

Any greater pixel density will be pointless if screen size and viewing distance remain the same, but until this required ppi has been reached on any such device, it'll be at a disadvantage compared to those that have it, a clearly visible one, IMO..

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
ooh.. said:
I didn't say they were. But the new iPad has a visibly, much better screen than the old, and than the forthcoming Galaxy tab.

You're missing my point. The screens of the iPad 2 and Samsung Tab are more than adequate for 99% of their intended purpose, and the extra screen resolution requires processing power which slows it down. It's like the camera megapixel wars; the resolution required for most people has already been met, and the increased resolution being provided is more about marketing than

I couldn't agree more. The new ipad screen DOES look good, but then most people use a tablet for a bit of browsing, email and maybe some games and movies. And the screen on the OLD iPad (and the Galaxy tabs) also look GREAT!

Give me the old screen with the new processor ANY day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts