the new Marantz is301 ipod wireless dock - the devil in the detail?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I have been reading the recent announcements and Marantz web-site about this dock and it looks interesting.

Some of the articles are confusing, but what I figured out so far is:

- only audio is wireless (Bluetooth). Ipod has to be in the cradle (the smaller part of the dock) for this

- Video requires the whole dock (i.e. ipod in the cradle, cradle in the dock) to be connected to the receiver by a cat5 cable

- The dock does charge the ipod, presumably compatible with 2nd gen Touch

What I cannot figure out is:

- if audio is streamed from the cradle, it has to have a battery. What is the battery life on that?

- The articles say about remote control functionality of the dock (wired and/or wireless?). Absolutely no info what it is. What can it control and how? Any additional connections required for htat?

- How does the wall-mounting work and look? Difficult to imagine from the pics published.

If anybody has any info or has seen the beast in stock somewhere, please let people know. Looks very interesting.

Just a thought - what a wonderful product it would be if the cradle had an infrared emitter and the ipod had a programmable remote control application (for ipod + cradle to work like ProntoPro etc)! Eh?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Continue talking to myself
emotion-2.gif

I wrote to Marantz for more info and did not get any reply, however, on checking their web-site today there is pdf user manual and ipod compatibility guide. it says compatible with touch 2g - i hope it does mean "sound, video AND charging"...

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
We have these questions too and really until we play with the unit ( due in a few weeks , maybe less) we wont know for sure. It does look very cool though so hopefully it stacks up. I will look up this thread when we get stock and let you know.

Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts