The Interstellar ****SPOILER**** thread

Paul.

******SPOILER ALERT FOR WHOLE THREAD*******, if you have not seen interstellar go to the other thread ;)

I found the plot of interstellar very interesting with just the right amount of questions, I can also see why some may not have liked the unanswered questions and shall we say "poetic license" used in what is arguably the films crescendo.

In the Interstellar thread people are very respectfully avoiding spoilers, here is a safe haven to ask away.

let rip, vent, I genuinely curious what everyone thinks :)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I thought it was a mesmerising film, a work of art and I loved the twist.

I don't regard it as paradoxical either, more poetry which hints at theoretical extra dimensions and the non-linearity of time within them.

Ultimately though it was a film about love. And as such did a great job. :)

Paul.

The way I look at it, dude may have saved the population of earth, but Ann hathaways character saved man kind. Her population was next to a black hole so would be accelerated time, I think it was her populous who "ascended" or evolved to be able to manipulate gravity.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Loved it - it's really stayed with me; few movies do that. The scene I keep thinking of is the parent/teacher conference, with the chilling conviction of the counsellor that the moon landings were fake.... Reminds me of the terrifying amount of revisionist history and scientific/historical denial swirling around the world

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Loved it too. This film deals with so many aspects of life. Love, our planet & the will of man & woman to survive. It also seems to deal with paranormal activity. This film has widen my mind to a level of different consciousness. Some may say that sounds a bit OTT, but we digest & experience in different ways. Part 2? or may be better left that way.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Loved it - it's really stayed with me; few movies do that. The scene I keep thinking of is the parent/teacher conference, with the chilling conviction of the counsellor that the moon landings were fake.... Reminds me of the terrifying amount of revisionist history and scientific/historical denial swirling around the world

Everybody knows the moon landings were fake.....don't they?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but this film is rubbish on too many levels to be considered for any sort of classic status.

1) the coordinates for the top secret facility - Cooper sent it back....why?.... If he regretted going.

When in the 5th dimention why only send back those co-ordinates and 'STAY' and the watch thing.

A more detailed message like 'don't go its a trap' or something like that would be more useful.

That whole concept is dumb..

2) recruitment:
Man turns up at the door of a top secret government facility -how did he find it? he explains he found coordinates on the floor in some dust in his daughter's room it was in Morse code - he is currently a farmer, previously a test pilot - but one member at the facility vouches for him he is then choosen to pilot a mission to save man kind, really?...... the same night too. (this assumed)

While this mission has been planned for some time no other pilots appear to be in training for said mission.

3)Sending crazy people into space - none of the players seemed all there or equipped to cope.

Go to an ocean planet - while checking the wreckage of the ship sent ahead of you, you see a giant tidal wave coming towards you - so search around for flight recorder?

I could go on - let's not even mention Matt Damon's cameo as another crazy person sent to save man kind.

Or the nonsense regards time

4) Oh the special effects were rubbish, really rubbish too.

5) Micheal Caine doing a Sheldon.

unstable child grows up to continue doing a Sheldon continuing MC's work - apparently the only person capable of working out this calculation for time space etc, aided by a wind up watch that has not been wound for over 20yrs - they should have called Sheldon.

6) Gravity - nearing the edge of the singularity where not even light can escape - Cooper's ship is crushed, he ejects from ship and....... Oh and his robot survives too.

Sunshine is a far superior scenario and with a much better execution......

Thompsonuxb said:
Sorry, but this film is rubbish on too many levels to be considered for any sort of classic status.

1) the coordinates for the top secret facility - Cooper sent it back....why?.... If he regretted going.

When in the 5th dimention why only send back those co-ordinates and 'STAY' and the watch thing.

A more detailed message like 'don't go its a trap' or something like that would be more useful.

2) recruitment:
Man turns up at the door of a top secret government facility -how did he find it? he explains he found coordinates on the floor in some dust in his daughter's room it was in Morse code - he is currently a farmer, previously a test pilot - but one member at the facility vouches for him he is then choosen to pilot a mission to save man kind, really?...... the same night too. (this assumed)

While this mission has been planned for some time no other pilots appear to be in training for said mission.

3)Sending crazy people into space - none of the players seemed all there or equipped to cope.

Go to an ocean planet - while checking the wreckage of the ship sent ahead of you, you see a giant tidal wave coming towards you - so search around for flight recorder?

I could go on - let's not even mention Matt Damon's cameo as another crazy person sent to save man kind.

unstable child grows up to continue doing a Sheldon continuing MC's work - apparently the only person capable of working out this calculation for time space etc, aided by a wind up watch that has not been wound for over 20yrs - they should have called Sheldon.

6) Gravity - nearing the edge of the singularity where not even light can escape - Cooper's ship is crushed, he ejects from ship and....... Oh and his robot survives too.

1) It's the other way around. First he sends the message STAY, then realizes he could actually complete plan A with the quantum data collected, so sends the NASA coordinates to himself. He realises that "they," the future humans, chose Murph to save the world, so he needed to guide Murph to NASA to help out.

2) NASA wasn't supposed to exist , and Cooper was the only one who had a real flight experience, others were merely trained in simulation.

Sleepy now. Will answer the rest tomorrow. :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

A team of international astronauts is sent on a dangerous mission to reignite the dying Sun with a nuclear fission bomb in 2057.

NON-MEAN_LOOKING_blank_stare.gif

Is Escape your fav sci-fi movie? Got Snake Plissken action figure next to your bed?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
Thompsonuxb said:

2) recruitment:

1) It's the other way around. First he sends the message STAY, then realizes he could actually complete plan A with the quantum data collected, so sends the NASA coordinates to himself. He realises that "they," the future humans, chose Murph to save the world, so he needed to guide Murph to NASA to help out.

2) NASA wasn't supposed to exist , and Cooper was the only one who had a real flight experience, others were merely trained in simulation.

Sleepy now. Will answer the rest tomorrow. :)

Lol....ok

That's another thing by the way does this film suggest man evolves into God?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:

A team of international astronauts is sent on a dangerous mission to reignite the dying Sun with a nuclear fission bomb in 2057.

Is Escape your fav sci-fi movie? Got Snake Plissken action figure next to your bed?

Don't knock Snake Plissken - a creation from John Carpenter's/Kurt Russels purple patch together..

Interstellar is not set that much further into the future - no hover cars or silver jumpsuits but at least Sunshine acknowledged a global crisis.

Intersteller occurs in a single state of America...... *CRAZY*

NASA may not exists but who's to say the Chinese, Japanese or Korea don't have a space program?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:

Is Escape your fav sci-fi movie? Got Snake Plissken action figure next to your bed?

Don't knock Snake Plissken - a creation from John Carpenter's/Kurt Russels purple patch together..

Interstellar is not set that much further into the future - no hover cars or silver jumpsuits but at least Sunshine acknowledged a global crisis.

NASA may not exists but who's to say the Chinese, Japanese or Korea don't have a space program?

Just joking. Sunshine is indeed better than Interstellar, as is Danny Boyle vs Chris Nolan.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:

Just joking. Sunshine is indeed better than Interstellar, as is Danny Boyle vs Chris Nolan.

I like Sunshne. I like you, Vlad. But Interstellar is a million times better than Sunshine imo.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
fr0g said:
Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:

I like Sunshne. I like you, Vlad. But Interstellar is a million times better than Sunshine imo.

No religion and zombies in Interstellar. Sunshine and Event Horizon win.

BTW, after watching Sunshine I had to watch Waterworld. I got thirsty.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
fr0g said:
Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:

Is Escape your fav sci-fi movie? Got Snake Plissken action figure next to your bed?

Just joking. Sunshine is indeed better than Interstellar, as is Danny Boyle vs Chris Nolan.?

Expand frog......

Lets hear your logic.

Paul.

Thompsonuxb said:
2) recruitment: Man turns up at the door of a top secret government facility -how did he find it? he explains he found coordinates on the floor in some dust in his daughter's room it was in Morse code - he is currently a farmer, previously a test pilot - but one member at the facility vouches for him he is then choosen to pilot a mission to save man kind, really?...... the same night too. (this assumed)

As to everyone being hung up on the coordinates, that one is easy. You are assuming every iteration of the time loop is identical. Cooper could have learned about the coordinates, But he only needs to know about it on the first iteration of the time loop.

This event will be constantly looping in time, required to keep time running and prevent the paradox, but cooper only needs to discover the coordinates on the first run, then he tells himself for the rest of time.

if you don't assume all iterations of the time loop are identical it makes the plot a lot more flexible :) I like the mysteriousness, you can explain too much in films and it makes them dull. Cooper discovering the coordinates would have pushed the film over three hours and made it less interesting.

6) cooper was saved by the tesseract

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol.... In fairness I don't want to ruin anyone's enjoyment of the film and any critic on my part I'd ask don't let it affect how you view it.

Saying that..... Teseract - don't get me started on the Teseract.....

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The point about the coordinates and time paradoxes in the story is that it remains unclear and not quite obvious to the viewer. Later interpretations and analysis is pointless if those observations skipped during the actual movie watching.

However, unlike Thompson, this didn't trouble me at all, I just glazed through any issues and enjoyed the movie. I'm not a sci-fi pedant. I almost cried when the aliens beeped back in Close Encounters Of The Third Kind.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
The point about the coordinates and time paradoxes in the story is that it remains unclear and not quite obvious to the viewer. Later interpretations and analysis is pointless if those observations skipped during the actual movie watching.?

However, unlike Thompson, this didn't trouble me at all, I just glazed through any issues and enjoyed the movie. I'm not a sci-fi pedant. I almost cried when the aliens beeped back in Close Encounters Of The Third Kind.

Vlad, I love a good scfi - I like Alien3 - but the film just did not work for me on too many levels.

That's all.

Paul.

I would like to clarify I am not offended by anyone not liking interstellar, just curious why.

however, I discovered one of my cousins who is studying film believes Wall E was the worst of all Pixar movies, that did not compute!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
The point about the coordinates and time paradoxes in the story is that it remains unclear and not quite obvious to the viewer. Later interpretations and analysis is pointless if those observations skipped during the actual movie watching.

One of the best sci-fi films of all time imo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts