The Hobbit £10

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Don't you want to wait for the extended edition gel? Releasing 27th Oct I think.

Not sure really, I was thinking of purchasing it more for the sound and picture quality, than the movie itself.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
bigboss said:
Don't you want to wait for the extended edition gel? Releasing 27th Oct I think.

Not sure really, I was thinking of purchasing it more for the sound and picture quality, than the movie itself.

In all honesty I think the theatrical edition is the best bet, the extended edition only has 13 minutes of extra footage and seems to be more concerned with adding extras when compared to the theatrical edition which just has some blog episodes on it as extras which are quite digestable and don't bore you to tears like the extras on the LOTR extended boxset.

If extras are your bag then go for it but for the sake of 13minutes of footage added to a film that's already too long I would wait for the extended boxset to arrive which will inevitably add even more extras and possibly footage, personally after buying the theatrical 3D release I won't be lining Mr Jacksons pockets anymore until the extended boxset arrives...the guy is the new George Lucas in how often he cashes in on the same movie with minimal changes to footage and content.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
gel said:
bigboss said:

In all honesty I think the theatrical edition is the best bet, the extended edition only has 13 minutes of extra footage and seems to be more concerned with adding extras when compared to the theatrical edition which just has some blog episodes on it as extras which are quite digestable and don't bore you to tears like the extras on the LOTR extended boxset.

If extras are your bag then go for it but for the sake of 13minutes of footage added to a film that's already too long I would wait for the extended boxset to arrive which will inevitably add even more extras and possibly footage, personally after buying the theatrical 3D release I won't be lining Mr Jacksons pockets anymore until the extended boxset arrives...the guy is the new George Lucas in how often he cashes in on the same movie with minimal changes to footage and content.

Yep, I think I am going to order. :cheers:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:
the guy is the new George Lucas in how often he cashes in on the same movie with minimal changes to footage and content.

That might be a little harsh on Peter Jackson, Oldboy. :grin:

I think the LOTR extended editions improve on the theatrical cuts. More importantly, both the theatrical and extended cuts are good films. Before the sale of Lucasfilm, Lucas cashed in on Star Wars fandom directly. The LOTR films are New Line's intellectual property.

I'd argue that James Cameron is the new George Lucas, in the sense that he now makes films littered with fist-bitingly awful dialogue and CGI creatures/characters a five year old would scribble with crayons.

I thought The Hobbit was pretty mediocre, though.

T

theflyingwasp

I enjoyed the hobbit ,the extended version is 13m longer .part of me wishes I waited till the new trilogy was finished and watched it in one go,part 2 is dec part 3 is July .its gonna be box sets galore when this trilogy is finished ,lord of the rings and hobbit box sets combined ,steel books they will make a fortune out of us ,it's the new stars wars!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Oldboy said:
the guy is the new George Lucas in how often he cashes in on the same movie with minimal changes to footage and content.

That might be a little harsh on Peter Jackson, Oldboy. :grin:

I think the LOTR extended editions improve on the theatrical cuts. More importantly, both the theatrical and extended cuts are good films. Before the sale of Lucasfilm, Lucas cashed in on Star Wars fandom directly. The LOTR films are New Line's intellectual property.

I'd argue that James Cameron is the new George Lucas, in the sense that he now makes films littered with fist-bitingly awful dialogue and CGI creatures/characters a five year old would scribble with crayons.

I thought The Hobbit was pretty mediocre, though.

Sorry strapped but I have to disagree with you when it comes to Peter Jackson, when you consider that the LOTR movies are just 10 years or so old and how many versions have been released up to now he really isn't far off from Lucas levels of cash in. Only last week I heard rumours of bluray steel book editions of the LOTR movies which really would be starting to take the mickey.
In the years to come I think it's certain there will be further cash ins of both LOTR and The Hobbit as it's guaranteed revenue just like Star Wars, I wonder just how many times both of Jacksons trilogies would have been released when they reach the 30 years or so mark of Star Wars? Jackson and new line have plenty of time to milk the fans yet ;)
Agreed about Cameron though and I only own Avatar in 3D because it was free with my blu ray player and now there are 3 more to come...I smell a cash cow. I didn't mind Avatar as a spectacle in 3D but I don't believe it warrants any sequels let alone 3.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Oldboy said:
Sorry strapped but I have to disagree with you when it comes to Peter Jackson, when you consider that the LOTR movies are just 10 years or so old and how many versions have been released up to now

Two? Theatrical and extended. That's it as far as I can tell.

Only last week I heard rumours of bluray steel book editions of the LOTR movies which really would be starting to take the mickey.

So don't buy them then! I've never understood why people get so excited about steelbooks, it's the same box with a bit of metal around it. And they're not even ******* books! People moan like hell because some cds have a cardboard sleeve around them but then they fall arse over tit to get a steelbook blu-ray, nuts.

T

theflyingwasp

I have to agree with the_lhc the whole steel book thing is a farce paying up to £10 more for the same bloody film that has no shelf ware and its ruined if you drop it ,this new trilogy release is going to go on and on steel books followed by extended steel book editions for the next 3 films aswell as the new trilogy boxset ,then the new trilogy extended editions boxset THEN the complete lord of the rings /hobbit boxset ,I don't blame the film studios but I shudder to think how much money I've gave George Lucas over the years.the new Star Wars trilogy is in the works aswell which means more box sets and steel books .

BUT having said all that I will buy them all again because I'm a fricken idiot :wall:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
I think what strapped is saying is that LOTR films belong to New Line, & Peter Jackson isn't profiting from it as much as George Lucas or James Cameron. It could be New Line's decision rather than Peter Jackson's.

Fair enough but he IS profiting...to what extent is irrelevant really and just means he should have negotiated a better deal in the first place ;)

My point really is that the likes of Peter Jackson and James Cameron have seen the financial success that Lucas enjoyed from Star Wars (and the huge sum Disney paid for the franchise) and have seen the dollar signs and so are eager to reap the same rewards, I don't blame them and I don't hold either of their trilogies in the same regard as I do Star Wars but the danger is that the movies suck and become a money making excercise. The Hobbit wasn't great lets face it yet it made a shed load of money for New Line and Jackson and those revenues will continue with various home releases.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:

So far...plus the boxsets of both. As I said earlier that count will only rise over the same amount of time as Star Wars has been around, they have 25 years to play with yet.

The_Lhc said:
So don't buy them then! I've never understood why people get so excited about steelbooks, it's the same box with a bit of metal around it. And they're not even ******* books! People moan like hell because some cds have a cardboard sleeve around them but then they fall arse over tit to get a steelbook blu-ray, nuts.

I don't remember saying I did buy stellbooks? I own a few but can't say I'm too bothered by them, I know exactly what they are which is an excuse for movie companies to re-release the same movie and make more money. I have no desire to replace any movie I own simply because it's in a steel case so totally understand your point and the premium placed upon some of them is just pure robbery, the market must be there though because the number of steelbooks continues to rise rapidly.

Never thought about the name of them in that way...it is indeed a ridiculous name for them. If I remember correctly the first few to come out were simply named "steel edition" which is a bit more accurate but I bet they aren't even made from steel making the name even more ridiculous :grin:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Oldboy said:
The_Lhc said:

So far...plus the boxsets of both.

I wasn't talking about packaging, I meant actual versions of the films, there's only two. Whereas with Star Wars you've had original, original remastered, Special Editions etc etc, so they've got a little way to go on that front. Packaging is different, if the film hasn't changed then people only have themselves to blame if they keep buying the same version. I haven't yet bought LOTR on BD yet, I keep thinking about the extended BD boxset, if it drops below 20 quid I'll probably pull the trigger on it. I haven't even seen The Hobbit yet, so waiting for the extended version is no big deal for me.

The_Lhc said:

I don't remember saying I did buy stellbooks?

It was a general comment, not aimed specifically at you.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:
My point really is that the likes of Peter Jackson and James Cameron have seen the financial success that Lucas enjoyed from Star Wars (and the huge sum Disney paid for the franchise) and have seen the dollar signs and so are eager to reap the same rewards, I don't blame them and I don't hold either of their trilogies in the same regard as I do Star Wars but the danger is that the movies suck and become a money making excercise.

That's how large entertainment conglomerates work. Production strategies are based around (1) gauging what's successful and seeking to replicate that success by repeating the formula; and (2) creating networks of products that cross-promote.

Superman vs. Batman and Alien vs. Predator are good examples of the latter rule, as are sequels, remakes, and reboots, which help to sell new releases of older films on home video. The new films don't need to be particularly good for the strategy to work. Home video markets are roughly five times the size of the theatrical market. It's all about what the industry describes as "repurposing" intellectual property (making huge content libraries pay off repeatedly).

Most of the time it's unfair to blame the director specifically, Lucas being a notable exception in my view.

T

the record spot

Apologies if this has been covered on the other Hobbit thread, but this film is now streaming on Netflix, think it's been on for a couple of weeks or so.

D

Deleted member 2457

My Blu-ray turned up and I started watching it last night, and I have to say I am really enjoying it. I have nearly finished it, the picture and sound is great, and the storyline is not bad. A thumbs up from me.

TRENDING THREADS