The future of Hi-Fi - Singularity?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

MajorFubar said:
manicm said:
Oh really? Well name one system that will RELIABLY stream hires audio??
You'll first have to clarify your definition of unreliable. I only have a bog standard BT Homehub 5 but my Mac Mini under the telly in the living room is more than happy to stream 720p and 1080p video content from my NAS upstairs, as well my few hi-res albums via iTunes. My family's tablets and phones are also similarly unperturbed doing the same. All over WiFi.

From what I've read most streamers cannot cope with wireless hires streaming, including linn and naim.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Tidal and Meridian successfully stream high-res MQA files

Meridian Explains New MQA Lossless Audio Format, Authenticated by Artists Themselves

mqa-content1.png

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
manicm said:
From what I've read most streamers cannot cope with wireless hires streaming, including linn and naim.
Fair enough well they need to get their act together because in this house, two Mac Minis, a MBP and a cheap HP laptop belonging to SWMBO don't really have an issue with it. I did used to have issues though, before I was forced to change my router when I got fibre; somehow my old Belkin router struggled to shout loud enough to be heard over the other dozen WiFi signals that are within range, no matter what WiFi channel I set it to. I put that down to it being old and decrepit with a low-strength WiFi signal. But it was never to do with the WiFi itself not having sufficient speed. On my current router, and assuming I'm interpreting the stats correctly, the IEEE 802.11ac standard delivers in excess of 500 Mbit/s, possibly more on a good day with a following wind, which is plenty good enough for probably everything except 4k video (I haven't done the maths)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
The_Lhc said:
Ffs, stop being so short-termist! No work being done in wireless networking? Is your name Jon Snow? Laughably short-sighted.

Do you understand plain English? We're not discussing now, we're talking about the future, where hi-fi will end up in the next decades or centuries, talking about now is utterly irrelevant.

Yes Jon Snow is indeed dead. No need to state the blatantly obvious.
Jebus you didn't even get that reference, it wasn't a comment on whether he was dead or alive, what relevance would that have? I meant you know nothing...

manicm

The_Lhc said:
manicm said:
The_Lhc said:
Ffs, stop being so short-termist! No work being done in wireless networking? Is your name Jon Snow? Laughably short-sighted.

Do you understand plain English? We're not discussing now, we're talking about the future, where hi-fi will end up in the next decades or centuries, talking about now is utterly irrelevant.

Jebus you didn't even get that reference, it wasn't a comment on whether he was dead or alive, what relevance would that have? I meant you know nothing...

About what exactly? That you and every other person and their dog are prone to making irrelevant Game Of Thrones references? You need to calm yourself down and get yourself a drink or Calmettes or chamomile tea, or something.

What I actually meant is that the most expensive streamers are not keeping up with latest Wifi tech.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
The_Lhc said:
manicm said:
The_Lhc said:

About what exactly? That you and every other person and their dog are prone to making irrelevant Game Of Thrones references? You need to calm yourself down and get yourself a drink or Calmettes or chamomile tea, or something.

What I actually meant is that the most expensive streamers are not keeping up with latest Wifi tech.

And again, how is that relevant to a discussion of what might happen in 20 years time?

It's like discussing the future of air travel and saying well we'll never fly to Australia in 4 hours because you can't fly on Concorde any more, it's a total irrelevance, something you're still not getting apparently.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts