The evolution of my AV system.....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Picture of my av system Christmas 2008......

Panny TH 42PX80

Onkyo 606

Sony BDP-S350

Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1

Marantz CD63 KI

Panasonic DVD recorder (silver box)

X box.......

5282687018_9c900a354e.jpg

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
And finally.......

Christmas 2010........

AE Radiance subwoofer, KEF Q500's (KEFQ200C centre in box, and KEF3001 eggs on the way), and the Sony BDP S370 as additions this year......expensive year
emotion-3.gif

Oh, and a splash of colour to the wall and room.....

5272692716_6a8b219945.jpg

To be continued soon............with the addition to the tv stand to house the centre speaker, and the eggs on the wall at the back of the room.....

Reactions: kobs
A

Anonymous

what do you mean "To be continued soon"? i thought you'd have that new stand well made by now
emotion-4.gif

looking good though pete
emotion-21.gif
, one of those kefs is very close to the side wall, do you hear any boominess?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Change of plan with the stand idea.......

Bought another one like mine off ebay for £30....was meant to be collecting it today, if it hadn't been for the 4-5 inches of snow we have had overnight....
emotion-12.gif

Will be taking the top big shelf off the new one, and moving the middle plinths further apart to fit my 53cm centre speaker into (currently that gap is 45cms). Then I'll be cutting down the height of the plinths for a snug fit for the centre speaker.

Once that is done, I'll be taking my top big shelf off to add the new part, to then fit the big top shelf back onto it again, thus creating a stand 1.5 time bigger than it is now (approx).

Did you follow that??? Best seen when it's done......

As for the KEF's.........it is 12" (30cm's) away from the wall, but I'll limited for space so have little choice.

Obviously, if I had bought the original stand or made my own (2nd idea), ithe lack of space would have been helped cos both were 25cm's narrower.....

Oh well.........no boominess is apparant, anyway....
emotion-3.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Do you not find the sound a little unbalanced though with one speaker in a corner and the other effectively in open space?

Must admit I like the look of those KEFs though, don't know why everyone thinks they're ugly? I might try the Q300s in the New Year.

A

Anonymous

yea understood. sounds like a good plan to me, cheaper and less time consuming
emotion-21.gif

ah, it looks alot closer to the wall in the pic, and if it sounds good thats all that matters. any news on the stereo amp?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
On hold at the moment.......in fact, I'm not sure I'll go ahead, as I don't actually listen to cd's much anymore.

It's just that these KEF's show up certain recordings...normally the more complex sounding tracks get muddled/harsh, compared with my old QA 1030i's....I assume a decent stereo amp would sort out that problem (maybe it's because they are too close to that wall??), as I assume it's the limitations of my AV receiver as a stereo amp.

Saying that, I would be worried about tonal balance between the front three speakers were I to look into the stereo amp further....

It's all about compromise, and as AV is far more important than stereo in this household, I'll live with a few harsh sounding songs, once in a while...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:Saying that, I would be worried about tonal balance between the front three speakers were I to look into the stereo amp further....

I don't think you need to, I've never heard of anybody complaining about this after they've added a stereo amp to an AV system.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:Pistol Pete1:Saying that, I would be worried about tonal balance between the front three speakers were I to look into the stereo amp further.... I don't think you need to, I've never heard of anybody complaining about this after they've added a stereo amp to an AV system.

I'm surprised by that.....

I would imagine it COULD marginally affect it though....
emotion-5.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
the_lhc:Pistol Pete1:Saying that, I would be worried about tonal balance between the front three speakers were I to look into the stereo amp further.... I don't think you need to, I've never heard of anybody complaining about this after they've added a stereo amp to an AV system.

I'm surprised by that.....

I would imagine it COULD marginally affect it though....
emotion-5.gif

It's not the same as having a mis-matching centre speaker and the centre won't get used for music (typically, not that many people listen to multi-channel music), so, given that 60% of a film soundtrack comes out of the centre channel, the differences between two different amplifiers are going to be much harder to detect.

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:
On hold at the moment.......in fact, I'm not sure I'll go ahead, as I don't actually listen to cd's much anymore.

It's just that these KEF's show up certain recordings...normally the more complex sounding tracks get muddled/harsh, compared with my old QA 1030i's....I assume a decent stereo amp would sort out that problem (maybe it's because they are too close to that wall??), as I assume it's the limitations of my AV receiver as a stereo amp.

Saying that, I would be worried about tonal balance between the front three speakers were I to look into the stereo amp further....

It's all about compromise, and as AV is far more important than stereo in this household, I'll live with a few harsh sounding songs, once in a while...
i sold my avr the other day, the guy wanted a demo so i set it up with my cdp and a pair of old mission speakers he was also buying, it sounded surprisingly good, and your denon is probably better than my yam was..
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:Fair enough...I'll take your word for it....
emotion-11.gif
the_lhc is right imo, i never noticed a difference when i used my stereo amp for the fronts..

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:maxflinn:Pistol Pete1:Fair enough...I'll take your word for it....
emotion-11.gif
the_lhc is right imo,

And wot a smashing chap I am too...

Right?but of course you are dear
emotion-4.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
gel:Looks great
emotion-21.gif

Thanks, gel..........

But I do apologise for the lack of Pioneer products in all my pictures.....
emotion-5.gif
If it's any consolation, I used to have the Pioneer A605R year's ago...which was replaced by the Marantz PM6010 KI one....

Saying all that....watch this space, cos I'm very tempted by the LX53/73/83 in about a year's time when they go on the cheap, once the LX54/74/84 appear on the scene......
emotion-4.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:Pistol Pete1:

i sold my avr the other day, the guy wanted a demo so i set it up with my cdp and a pair of old mission speakers he was also buying, it sounded surprisingly good, and your denon is probably better than my yam was..
emotion-21.gif

I think the Yams are quite good in that department......but I would imagine your right about my Denon..
emotion-21.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:Pistol Pete1:Fair enough...I'll take your word for it....
emotion-11.gif
the_lhc is right imo, i never noticed a difference when i used my stereo amp for the fronts..

Ok...Ok......I believe you.....lol
emotion-10.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:the_lhc:maxflinn:Pistol Pete1:Fair enough...I'll take your word for it....
emotion-11.gif
the_lhc is right imo,

And wot a smashing chap I am too...

Right?but of course you are dear
emotion-4.gif

Of course I am and don't you believ^H^H^H^H forget it... again.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:maxflinn:the_lhc:maxflinn:Pistol Pete1:Fair enough...I'll take your word for it....
emotion-11.gif
the_lhc is right imo, And wot a smashing chap I am too... Right?but of course you are dear
emotion-4.gif

Of course I am and don't you believ^H^H^H^H forget it... again.

emotion-9.gif
Sorry.........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts