The dreaded word.. Distortion

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am using a Pro-Ject RPM 4 turntable through a Marantz PM 7200 amp. Generally the sound is great but I have noticed distortion on certain passages of classical music during high registers at high volume mainly on the right channel and when voices are involved. This happens on speakers and headphones alike which makes me think it is something to do with the tonearm. Is it just a case of cleaning or replacing the stylus (although I have not used it extensively) or does the tonearm need adjusting?

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, second that - tonearm/cartridge set-up is vital, once you have it dialed in the majority of modern cartridges should not give you any left/right distortion , except on faulty pressings of course. I must also add that the human voice is the most difficult thing to reproduce well and can be VERY demanding, so using it as a reference is well advised with turntable set-up.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
I also agree with everything that John and Tear Drop have said above. I have the Hi Fi News test record and would highly recommend it also.

What cartridge do you have? I think it might be a cartridge issue. Have you checked the alignment is correct? Have you tried setting the tracking force towards the upper end of the range? Have yout tried adjusting the VTA? Have you checked your stylus is completely clean? If not check it with a jeweller's loupe. You can buy them here: http://www.jewellersequipment.co.uk/eyeglasses.html

For keeping your stylus clean I recommend the Onzow Zerodust stylus cleaner and Clearaudio Elixir of Sound. (Do not use an alcohol based cleaner on your stylus).

A

Anonymous

Thanks to evreyone who have replied to my question. I will certainly be buying the test record and the jeweller's eyeglass is a good idea; although what magnification is needed?

My cartridge is a Ortofon 510 Mk.II ,which is tracking at 15mN and as far as I can make out is set up correctly although I am wondering if the azimut is right.

Again without the eyeglass I cannot be sure the stylus is OK but I find it hard to belive it's impaired after only moderate use.

A

Anonymous

I think a bad stylus would be more evident, it sounds to me like anti-skating is the most likely culprit. That said precise tonearm allignment problems are usually a confluence of tracking weight, vta, azimuth, you get the idea. Maybe just try the a.s. weight one some of the other rungs? But do still buy the test record, I re-do once every 4 to 6 months.

Got off topic there... the main bullet point of my presentation is that it doesn't sound to me like your stylus is damaged. It would present itself more distinctly methinks.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
bluejay:
Thanks to evreyone who have replied to my question. I will certainly be buying the test record and the jeweller's eyeglass is a good idea; although what magnification is needed?

My cartridge is a Ortofon 510 Mk.II ,which is tracking at 15mN and as far as I can make out is set up correctly although I am wondering if the azimut is right.

Again without the eyeglass I cannot be sure the stylus is OK but I find it hard to belive it's impaired after only moderate use.

I'd recommended this x30 one which I bought on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EYE-MAGNIFYING-GLASS-JEWELLERS-LOUPE-30X21-MAGNIFIER_W0QQitemZ120319142327QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120319142327&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

If you want to check your stylus properly for wear you need a microscope. Alot of people on Vinyl Engine have use the Digital Blue QX5 which is actually a kid's microscope and have found it to be perfect for this use:

http://www.playdigitalblue.co.uk/products/qx5/info/

The most critical thing for vinyl care for me is a record cleaning machine. Personally I wouldn't bother with vinyl without owning one. I have an entry level Cadence Okki Nokki and use L'Art du Son cleaner which is excellent.

I had an Ortofon 510 Mk II on one of my Technics SL1210Mk2 a long time ago. I still have it somewhere but haven't used it in years. I don't recall ever having problems with distortion. One thing I would suggest is trying to play the records on a different turntable if possible and see if the distortion can be heard. The reason I ask is that it might be bad pressings although its unlikely if its specifically happening on vocal passages on several records.

I hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts