The classic monitor

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Found this while browsing for best material to use when building a turntable. It's the BBC's original report on the LS3/5A. Passive, used plywood and sealed box: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1976-29.pdf.

Love to try building one myself but the drive units are no longer available.

A

Anonymous

Good site, Chebby, thanks for posting it.

Funny, I too had been ruminating on possible solutions and had come up with seas/scanspeak; the problem being the crossover.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You could also do worse than try out the Spendor S3/5R speakers (£750) if it proves impossible to source the components you need. (Or look for their second-hand predecessors on ebay).

The Arcaydis SM35Cs are made in the spirit of the originals too. (Including being made of birch ply.)

Forget buying original BBC LS3/5As on ebay. Tidy pairs can go for £1500+ and even scrappy looking ones go for a small fortune.

That BBC paper you linked is authored by H.D. (Dudley) Harwood. He left the BBC and founded Harbeth with his wife Elizabeth.

Spencer Hughes - also a researcher with the BBC - left them and founded Spendor. (Named after himself and his wife Dorothy.)

Both companies held two of the original, BBC issued, LS3/5A licences (not suprisingly) along with KEF, Goodmans, Chartwell, Rogers, Richard Allan and others.

This 'tradition' of high hitting mini-monitors from ex-BBC folk continues with Leema Acoustics (founded by two ex-BBC engineers Lee Taylor and Mallory Nicholls) and their Xero speakers.

Must be something in the BBC tea.

(Some more history courtesy of Harbeth.)

A

Anonymous

Indeed!

No, I was thinking more of building them myself - good challenging winter project and all that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts