The Budget HI FI Set Up Challenge!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all!

I am in need of advice from people in the know!

I have been waiting for ages to upgrade my hi-fi system and I can finally afford to get some new kit. It is still very much at the budget end of what is out there... but music a huge part of my life and I am quite excited about the prospect of actually being able to listen to some vinyl again!

My budget is £500-£600 - and with this I need to buy a Turntable, Amp and Bookshelf Speakers (like I said - budget!)

I have been trawling the net to try and find the best combo for my money and so far it looks like the following seem to be my best options:

Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10 (£170) Amplifier (integrated phono stage)

MIsison MX1 (£150) or Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 speakers (£225)

Project Essential Turntable (£150)

Can anyone advise me on any alternatives that they consider a better choice?

And also, could anyone advise me whether it's better to go for an amp with an integrated phono stage or to go for a cheaper one and then buy a separate pre-amp ?

Thankyou very very much in advance for any advice or opinions that anyone can give me.. It's very rarely that I have this much money to spend on something, so I want to make the best possible choice!

Cheers

Matt

A

Anonymous

Second hand Arcam A 65+, MA BX2 or B&W 685, Project Debut III + Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. Round about £500 with the Monitors, maybe a bit over £600 with the B&Ws. Either will give you great bang for your buck.

matthewpiano

I'd suggest the following:

Rega RP1 turntable, brand new
Arcam A65+ amplifier, 2nd hand
Dali Lektor 2 speakers, brand new or ex-demo

The Rega is a much better deck than the Project ones IMO, and the Dali speakers match beautifully with Arcam amplification. You should be able to achieve this for around the £600 mark.

A word of caution - I'd avoid the Topaz range of amps from Cambridge. The volume pots are absolute rubbish on them and suffer from atrocious channel balance at low levels. You really can do better.

Actually, for the price of the Topaz or less you could pick up a used Rotel RA04, which has a superb phono stage built in to it.

If you don't wish to buy a used amp, look for a good deal on the outgoing NAD C315BEE or the latest NAD C316BEE and get an outboard phono stage like NAD's own one. This should also match the Dali speakers very well.

A

Anonymous

Good point on the turntable, had a moment of brain fade and forgot about the cheaper Rega. Go for the 2M Red though, great value.

A

Anonymous

Thank you all so much! I really do appreciate people taking the time to make suggestions..

I will look into these suggestions and let you all know what I end up opting for!

Many many thanks again

Matt

A

Anonymous

Have you thought of a full rega system? i know it is a tad over budget if bought new, but if you buy second hand i think you could get this system

Rega RP1 turntable + Rega Brio 3 Amplifier + Rega RS1 speakers

Have a demo at your local dealers and see what you think.

A

Anonymous

id personally go for a secondhand Pioneer A400 - a much superior amp to the others suggested (imho of course) and has a respectable MM/MC phono stage

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts