The Audiophile Club of Athens.

T

the record spot

Sell that little lot off and they'll repay the Greek debt...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
the record spot said:

Mind you, at the time the Greek economy was enjoying annual growth of 4%, exports were up over 30% year on year, the banking and shipping sectors were flying high, along with the Greek stock exchange, and the country's businesses were the largest investors in the region.

It all seems a long time ago – which, in a very real sense, it was.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Lost their marbles?

Avid Acutus, SME V, valve amp, big Tannoys. Seems eminently sensible to me. That would be a great system for playing jazz. Wouldn't be quite my choice because I'm into pop and rock and would go for a crisper punchier sound at the possible expense of a bit of detail and imaging.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Lost their marbles?

Avid Acutus, SME V, valve amp, big Tannoys. Seems eminently sensible to me. That would be a great system for playing jazz. Wouldn't be quite my choice because I'm into pop and rock and would go for a crisper punchier sound at the possible expense of a bit of detail and imaging.

Yeah, whatever.

JD meant these.

T

the record spot

Andrew Everard said:
the record spot said:

Mind you, at the time the Greek economy was enjoying annual growth of 4%, exports were up over 30% year on year, the banking and shipping sectors were flying high, along with the Greek stock exchange, and the country's businesses were the largest investors in the region.

It all seems a long time ago – which, in a very real sense, it was.

Yep, all pretty astonishing and not just with Greece either. Recent icing on the cake for me has been the latest banking fiasco with traders (with the very likely nod from the senior execs) mucking around with LIBOR. The contempt displayed is beyond me and I'm chuffed to bits that I can jump ship from one of the said four banks under investigation and head off to a new contract in four weeks time.

Had a lovely holiday in Greece about 25 years ago. Lovely people, baking-hot place (Athens in August!) and the last year or two has been rather sad to watch.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Been to Greece on a number of occasions, very nice place, people, food, climate. Athens a bit dusty for hifi I would have thought.

Someone had the great idea that, along with the above-mentioned Marbles, we should return the Olympics to Greece. That way, they would have a four-yearly economic boost and everyone else would be spared the ludicrous expense, trouble, angst, problems and embarrassment (I'm so not looking forward to the opening ceremony) of hosting the Games.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Been to Greece a few times - once on hols, and several times to run large events.

Power cuts every two hours, just so that the electricity workers union could show how vital they are to the economy, didn't help. I'm sure that will mess up the sound for these guys.

Oh, sounds like the London Underground and Bus workers during the 2012 Olympics - at least in Britain the transport folk have agree to a pay cut for when they are less busy, to compensate for the extra when they are busy for ten days this summer. Or did I misunderstand something their union bloke said :)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
lindsayt said:
Lost their marbles?

Yeah, whatever.

JD meant these.

So you think he was only refering to something that happened 200 years ago? You think that would be highly relevant to this thread? You don't think he was making a pun about them seeming not quite right in the head?

Yeah whatever.

Paul.

lindsayt said:
chebby said:
lindsayt said:
Lost their marbles?

Yeah, whatever.

JD meant these.

So you think he was only refering to something that happened 200 years ago? You think that would be highly relevant to this thread?

You don't seem to have met JD. Would you like me to introduce you?

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Wouldn't be quite my choice because I'm into pop and rock and would go for a crisper punchier sound at the possible expense of a bit of detail and imaging.

[/quote]

lindsayt said:
You think that would be highly relevant to this thread?

Dunno. Is your musical taste relevant to the thread either?

John Duncan

lindsayt said:
chebby said:
lindsayt said:
Lost their marbles?

Yeah, whatever.

JD meant these.

So you think he was only refering to something that happened 200 years ago? You think that would be highly relevant to this thread? You don't think he was making a pun about them seeming not quite right in the head?

Yeah whatever.

Ah but it was *so* much more clever than that.  It was both a pun on Athenians losing the Elgin marbles, er, whenever, and a sarcastic comment on the motivation behind Max starting the thread, which was of course to point out just how stupid us audiophiles are.

Do keep up.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Lee H said:
lindsayt said:
Wouldn't be quite my choice because I'm into pop and rock and would go for a crisper punchier sound at the possible expense of a bit of detail and imaging.

lindsayt said:
You think that would be highly relevant to this thread?

Dunno. Is your musical taste relevant to the thread either?

[/quote]

Excuse me.

I'll just keep my gob shut then.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
shooter said:
50% of the sound is electricity, 20% of the sound is the rack...

Thank god for the other 30% :shifty:

The only trouble was that, I think, the remaining 30% was taken up by other bits of kit which leaves sod all for the vinyl/digital.

How sad that none of them seem to be that happy with the sound they have achieved. What was it, 45 different amplifiers very recently?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts