The Arcam power amp debate

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am running an Arcam A32 amp / P35 power amp / CD36 set up. I have tri-wirable Epos m22 speakers - currently bi-amped due to a slight lack of foresight when asked if I wanted the extra channel on the power amp!!

As a result of this niggling away - I am now considering getting a P7 power amp amd tri-wiring the speakers, but I dont know if the expense will justify the result or whether it will just be a drain on the National Grid . . . . . .

Can anybody shed some light on this for me ?

Thanks,

ILMM

A

Anonymous

Arrange an in-home audition. But I'd tend to think it would be an upgrade. My Bi-amping (when I had biampable speakers) was buckets better than the single. So... logically tri-amping should reveal more again? If the planets align?

A

Anonymous

I run an A32 with two P35s, the A32 relegated to preamp duties only. Using a dedicated preamp brings noticeable gains in most areas, but insight and 'naturalness' are the biggest. I would guess that adding a P35 or two would be your best (and probably cheapest) course of action.

EDIT: I reckon you could haggle and get a couple of P35s for £1,500, which would be around half the price of a P7. Not only are you tri-amping, but you've got a dedicated preamp too. You know it makes sense...

I don't think you could be doing what you want even if you'd had the extra channel on the P35, btw. That would have made it a three-channel amp, not four.

A

Anonymous

The P7 is available for £1999 from Sevenoaks in Brighton.

A

Anonymous

...and P35s for £600 or so. I reckon there's haggling room there too as the P35 isn't in the first flush of youth.

A

Anonymous

Hi and thanks for the opinions so far - perhaps adding another P35 would be the most cost effective idea and using the A32 as a pre amp.

The FMJ P7 is down to £1675 at Sevenoaks too - but if it goes any lower than that I dont think I will be able to resist. . . . they are almost giving them away. . . .

ILMM
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

With the P35 at that price one'd be mad to buy the 7. It's good but not twice as good.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I think the best way forward taking into account cost is adding another P35 - I got a new one for £499 from SSAV in Brighton in the summer. . . . but just cant find one anywhere at that price just now. . . . needless to say they have long since sold out

ILMM

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim: The P7 is now available brand new on eBay for £750

You had me going for a mo there, think you're getting mixed up with the P1000?

There's an ex-dem one from Lintone for £899 though, pretty good deal.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I now have a second P35 - and am wondering what is the best way to connect it ?

Either tri-wiring the speakers using A32/P35/P35 for HF/Mid/LF or using the A32 as a pre amp and the P35s like two monoblocs ?

Any advice gratefully received. . . . . .

Thanks,

ILMM

A

Anonymous

Nothing more helpful to add other than I'd give both a try.

I tried using A32 as pre-amp and P35 as power, and bi-amping with the two before deciding that another power amp was a worthwhile investment.

Having the preamp will open things up, whereas tri-amping will give you more control. My guess is that the former would sound better.

Of course, you could always buy another P35 and do both, but that's a road down which madness may lie.

Best of luck.

A

Anonymous

Hi 12th and thanks for the suggestion - managed to source a new P35 at Lintone for £529 and am going to try the 'monobloc' type set up first - not least as it will save me the cost of another set of speaker cables compared to tri-amping/wiring. . . Guess I can still use SP1 and Sp2 for HF and LF on each side.

I havent done this before so I better check out the instructions - if I dont get it right, I cant afford any more kit, nor a divorce!!!!

ILMM
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I have had a look at this and dont quite understand what needs to be connected to what and what to do with the pins. . . . Could use some idiot proof instructions from the top downwards. . . . Would be very grateful if u could oblige. . . . .

Thanks ILMM
emotion-42.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts