That Scarlatti is BIG!

T

the record spot

Saw the DCS Scarlatti at the weekend - yes, that one at £33,000 - that is one big and beefy set-up; the transport is HUGE. It was tacked on to some Moon amplification and some top end Wilson Benesch speakers. Didn't alas, get the chance to hear it although I was offered it to hear, but wow, about £40ks worth of gear on display. I was scared to walk in the room!

(I had to leave the shop as had already been in for about an hour, hence why I didn't listen - didn't want to take up TOO much of the guys' time!)

A

Anonymous

That's how I felt when looking at a monster MA Platinum and MF KW system, £20k. I'd just bought my SA1s and spent four hours in there. They were quite happy to leave me with the KW system at the end but I thought I probably ought to keep it to one quick track! I have to say, the thing frightened me...

T

the record spot

I know, it's pretty surprising seeing this gear in the flesh. The only other time I've thought "wow!" was for a pair of Tannoy Westminster Royals I saw in Hi Fi Corner in Edinburgh a good 15 years back. Huge things - can't recall how much, but a good £3-4k. Not ideal for standmounting...the drivers alone were about the size of a current Wharfedale Diamond!
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the record spot: The only other time I've thought "wow!" was for a pair of Tannoy Westminster Royals I saw in Hi Fi Corner in Edinburgh a good 15 years back. Huge things - can't recall how much, but a good £3-4k.

Tannoy Westminster Royal SE speakers are now £19,995 a pair. (You should have hocked the car and bought a pair!)

T

the record spot

Yoiks! They might've been secondhand....can't recall precisely, but they were mighty impressive.

And if only I had a car at the time....!

A

Anonymous

...same reason as Lambos and Ferraris. Great gear, but an evo will do the job just as well, at a 10th the cost... without the looks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
pudley:...same reason as Lambos and Ferraris. Great gear, but an evo will do the job just as well, at a 10th the cost... without the looks.

And with no soul, no pride of ownership, no schoolboys (and even grown men) looking at you in your car and wishing they could be you one day, no looks from young women who don't even care that you may be over 40 and balding, no chavs in their Peugeot 106's giving way to you in respect at the lights etc etc.

A Ferrari is far more than what it does and when it is old will be called a 'Classic' and still admired and sought after whereas the Evo will probably be on bricks in the front yard of some council house with a tree growing through it by then!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Women's favorite vehicle according to some survey I fell over, apparently, is not a ferrari or lamborghini, its not even a hummer limo ... nop, its the humble new tiny fiat.

Same with hifi, the majority probably would choose something small and neat ... bose. There are of course exceptions like the lady of the editorial team, Clare, which, if I'm not wrong, has Mordaunt Shorts Top 'Performance' Speakers and quad amplification if I recall correctly. So you see, still not properly grown hifi ... infant size ... more cute and cuddly ... chic
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
Women's favorite vehicle according to some survey I fell over, apparently, is not a ferrari or lamborghini, its not even a hummer limo ... nop, its the humble new tiny fiat.

Same with hifi, the majority probably would choose something small and neat ... bose. There are of course exceptions like the lady of the editorial team, Clare, which, if I'm not wrong, has Mordaunt Shorts Top 'Performance' Speakers and quad amplification if I recall correctly. So you see, still not properly grown hifi ... infant size ... more cute and cuddly ... chic
emotion-5.gif

Are you calling Quad cute and cuddly?
emotion-8.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:

emotion-5.gif

Round our way the fave woman's car is a Mercedes/Porsche/BMW 4x4 'Chelsea tractor'. All driven by somebody wearing massive sunglasses and bleached blonde hair tied up in a scarf. The pavements around all the local school is carpeted with such cars from 14:00 onwards. (They have to park half-on, half-off the pavements because their cars are so wide. If they didn't they would impede other traffic.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts