That Cable HDMI purchase

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Got to mention the bargain of the decade. Thanks for review WHF.

I now have another great thing to add to my tiny new list of great Home Cinema essentials.

First is the DVE calibration disc - Ive spent £300 on new kit to improve PQ when all i needed was this disc - about £15 - revelation. Difference from focused calibration is 'night and day'.

Second is the Tacima Mains Conditioner. What a difference to the sepeartion in a soundtrack this makes.

Now i have a third - The 'That Cable' ( 5*What Hifi review) HDMI cable. Seriously rate this a greater improvement to my BD system than the Chord Active that i also use. Picture is visibly cleaner, sharper, movement greatly improved, depth, contrast and perhaps the best -razor sharp edge definition. If i had just purchased a new £300 player and got this improvement i would have been over the moon, but for less than £5 its really quite scary!!. Great service too.

There were also sound effects that i hadn't heard before. Very clean uncluttered sound.

With HDMI's i see it like this - components in a £2000 player are going to be of higher grade conductors so any lesser grade connection is going to diminish output from source.

Cheaper components don't need a source of such a higher grade as its not there to begin with. All relative.

Personally looking for good smooth consistant speed of transition of data, quality core for signal transfer and excellent shielding. Got it for a fiver.

Note though that i use a 42 inch tv and a projector so any difference big or small is right up there..

Hope this helps somebody looking for a boost at little cost.

Thanks WHF for the excellent reviews.

Kind Regards,

emotion-2.gif
Cookie Monster

A

Anonymous

Can they be had cheaper on other sites, I am at work and internet does not allow ebay.

Seen on that cable they are 4.79 for 1m

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
canada16:Can they be had cheaper on other sites, I am at work and internet does not allow ebay.
Seen on that cable they are 4.79 for 1m

It's less than a fiver! How tight do you have to be...?

A

Anonymous

Cant find a 2m one on there web site. does anyone know if they do one, or ever did?

Sorry to be a pain, but they dont trust us if we had ebay... Ha ha

A

Anonymous

Why would anyone try and get a £4.79 5 Star HDMI Cable cheaper... Just pushing your luck that really. Haha.

Is this cable really a 5 Star cable though? With picture and sound. I use a QED Signiture HDMI for my Playstation. I have never seen a better picture, apart from when I seen a QED Signiture HDMI from a PS3 to the Bang & Olufson Beovision 10.

I use to think cheap is better but from my experiences if you want better quality, you have to pay for it.

A

Anonymous

Its not that I am being cheap, as I can wait until I get home to order.

But seen stuff more expensive on one site, and then you go on ebay and the same company has a store and they are selling at like a 1.00 or two cheaper.

Why pay an extra 3.00 if I can wait for 7 hours? money is tight, not everyone can afford 1000's in cinema equipment, so for me every penny counts.

A

Anonymous

I doubt you will find it cheaper anywhere else as it will cost around £3+ for company to deliver. Haha

A

Anonymous

Just ordered 3, as I only have cheap 1.00 ones, and they are about 3 years old, we will see about PQ and sound, as from those cheap nasty things, I should see a difference ....................... RIGHT?
emotion-16.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
THREE? I thought you said you were skint? Why didn't you just order one, see if it's any good and then order the others afterwards?

I might order one to replace the Pure cable I've got plugged into the SkyHD box, got to be worth a fiver to test the theory I should think.

A

Anonymous

Not skint, just dont like spending more money than I have to, I am not cheap either, it would just bother me that I spent more for something becuase I was in a hurry.

TBH all my HDMI need updating and for 15.00 it seemed like a good deal, so not to worried.

A

Anonymous

Cookie Monster, the second in the list of your must haves was a Tacima 6 Way Mains Conditioner. I'm going to take your tip and get one of these for £25.47 on Amazon.

However I won't be able to plug my sub in it as it won't reach so does anybody have a recommendation for a "single conditioner at about the same price?

Thanks

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Wovian:

However I won't be able to plug my sub in it as it won't reach so does anybody have a recommendation for a "single conditioner at about the same price?

Thanks

You could try this. Maintrab 6A mains filter, Transient, RFI protection on eBay (end time 10-Mar-10 10:49:01 GMT)

I bought one a while ago just to plug my all-in-one into. Thought my Tacima was a bit wasted with just one unit plugged into it.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Will try and answer questions:

Cable is available only from www.thatcable.com. You can order by phone though.Lots of different lengths available on site.

I have 4 different cables. A QED Performance, Chord Active, Lindy Flat cable for my projector and a cheap philips one which i thought i still wouldn't improve on.

Have tried all of the above connected from Panny BD player to Philips TV. Chord was vibrant but movement stability decreased and image edges became overblown even with sharpness on zero.Sound was muted a little too. Sure the filter is working too hard for my systems abilities. So i changed to a cheaper Philips one that i had and it was fantastic, didn't think it could be improved on. Ordered the 'That cables' as i have a new HD codec amp and wanted 2x matching cables of same ability.

For note -My QED seemed to mute the colours but movement was excellent. My flat Lindy one is under the carpet to a PJ at the back of the room, only solution.

However, Chord Active cable is the best by far when used with my Sky HD box. I have no idea why such differences occur. As i said to start, i think its all relative to the kit. Can understand what WHF mean when they say that they can see a difference on their Pioneer test TV, even my Philips reveals every little nuance. Never mind the Pioneer, possibly Best TV ever made.

Regards the sub and Tacima set up. I had my sub plugged in seperate to the other speakers and my amp with no problems to report. Main difference i found was in defined separation of vocals and effects.

Kind Regards,

Cookie Monster

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Cookie Monster:

Hi all,

Will try and answer questions:

Cable is available only from www.thatcable.com. You can order by phone though.Lots of different lengths available on site.

I have 4 different cables. A QED Performance, Chord Active, Lindy Flat cable for my projector and a cheap philips one which i thought i still wouldn't improve on.

Have tried all of the above connected from Panny BD player to Philips TV. Chord was vibrant but movement stability decreased and image edges became overblown even with sharpness on zero.Sound was muted a little too. Sure the filter is working too hard for my systems abilities. So i changed to a cheaper Philips one that i had and it was fantastic, didn't think it could be improved on. Ordered the 'That cables' as i have a new HD codec amp and wanted 2x matching cables of same ability.

For note -My QED seemed to mute the colours but movement was excellent. My flat Lindy one is under the carpet to a PJ at the back of the room, only solution.

However, Chord Active cable is the best by far when used with my Sky HD box. I have no idea why such differences occur. As i said to start, i think its all relative to the kit. Can understand what WHF mean when they say that they can see a difference on their Pioneer test TV, even my Philips reveals every little nuance. Never mind the Pioneer, possibly Best TV ever made.

Regards the sub and Tacima set up. I had my sub plugged in seperate to the other speakers and my amp with no problems to report. Main difference i found was in defined separation of vocals and effects.

Kind Regards,

Cookie Monster

Oh no it's not....
emotion-5.gif

http://cgi.ebay.ie/1-5M-ThatCable-HDMI-CABLE-What-Hi-Fi-5-Star-Rated_W0QQitemZ310183360445QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item48385e77bd

md99

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Question:

is it worth buying a cable for each piece of hardware hooked up to an av receiver or just one for the receiver output to tv?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
In terms of a Blu-Ray player, the cable between this and the amp is probably most important since both the sound and picture info is transferred allow this cable and this cable only. Picture is then sent on to TV obviously, but if a cable is going to affect the sound, that's the only cable that will.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts