Thank you Tom Petty!! (and Blu-ray Audio)

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a lot to thank Tom Petty for...

Last night, I played my new Tom Petty Blu-ray Audio disc of "Damn the Torpedoes" with wife listening (sat in sweet spot, of the room, of course).

Apart from two bonus videos, this is a double-album pure audio Blu-ray, offering Stereo PCM, 5.1 PCM plus DTS-HD Master Audio.

At about £8 from amazo, and also offering a free digital stereo download in flac or Apple Lossless to your pc, this was a great purchase. Are there any other Blu-ray audios like this around?

As a result (and my suggestion that the sound could get even better...), my wife also agreed to upgrade the surround kef eggs that I have, to get B&W CM1s to go with the CM8s and CM Centre I already have. SSAV was my first call this morning.

As I said before, thank you Mr Petty !!! Is this the future of CDs? Just like a hi-def flac download, but far, far better !!!

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Yet another convert to the wonderful world of multichannel audio excellence.
Wait until you hear the Queen and Elton John back catalogue, it's like discovering them for the first time all over again.

Enjoy the ride, once you've been bitten by the bug, standard CDs sound mostly plain
emotion-14.gif

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
DandyCobalt:

I have a lot to thank Tom Petty for...

Last night, I played my new Tom Petty Blu-ray Audio disc of "Damn the Torpedoes" with wife listening (sat in sweet spot, of the room, of course).

Apart from two bonus videos, this is a double-album pure audio Blu-ray, offering Stereo PCM, 5.1 PCM plus DTS-HD Master Audio.

At about £8 from amazo, and also offering a free digital stereo download in flac or Apple Lossless to your pc, this was a great purchase. Are there any other Blu-ray audios like this around?

As a result (and my suggestion that the sound could get even better...), my wife also agreed to upgrade the surround kef eggs that I have, to get B&W CM1s to go with the CM8s and CM Centre I already have. SSAV was my first call this morning.

As I said before, thank you Mr Petty !!! Is this the future of CDs? Just like a hi-def flac download, but far, far better !!!

Soundstage Blu Rays

Not available over here and sadly now discontinued.

Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks, Michael Mc Donald in concert.

Picture quality and sound are the dogs nuts....

Your best bet is is E bay.Com (USA) and be carefull the Nicks is Region 1 only and will NOT play on a UK player, it helps to have a Multi Region Blu Ray player.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
seasiders rock:[be carefull the Nicks is Region 1 only and will NOT play on a UK player, it helps to have a Multi Region Blu Ray player.

Isn't that a Blu-Ray Video as opposed to the Tom Petty releases which are Blu-Ray Audio?

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
The folk at 2L in Norway are certainly a good source for classical blu-ray. http://www.2l.no/

I've bought the Ole Bull classical Blu-ray audio from them, arrived in 2 days.

I've already got a few DVD-Audio (Queen's Night at the Opera, and REMs Automatic for the People are classics), and SACD, but really interested to see how Blu-ray pure audio will be taken up by the record labels, as it's going to be a broader audience ( in compatible player terms) than SACD and DVD-Audio were?

And you don't need to wear an extra pair of glasses to enjoy the better sound :)

A

Anonymous

Can also recommend Dire Straits Alchemy Live which was released on Bluray last year, for anyone who is intereste.

The 4:3 remastered 1080i picture may look slightly archaic by todays standards, but you cannot quibble with the newly remastered audio, presented in either 2 channel 24/96 LPCM, or 5.1 24/96 DTS-HD mixed by the grammy winning Chuck Ainlay, who did such a good job with Brothers in Arms..............it is quite simply stunning.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
By coincidence, I just bought the SACD of Brothers in Arms, and whilst I wasn't a fan of Dire Straits when young(er), this SACD is absolutely stunning. I've reserved the Alchemy Live Blu-ray through Lovefilm - hope it becomes available soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Having also bought the fabulous Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads Blu-ray, even my wife is now surfing the net for other potential blu-rays.

A

Anonymous

The 20th Anniversary re-release of Brothers in Arms is reported to be something a bit special (especially in high def 2 channel and 5.1 surround) even though the original digital masters were only recorded 16/44.1.

There was a dual disc CD/DVD-A released in USA which has 24/96 2 channel and 5.1 on the DVD side which is actually slightly superior to the SACD (as this was a 24/96 PCM -> DSD conversion).

Not cheap though anymore if you want to import though
emotion-6.gif

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I wish I'd bought more SACDs and DVD-As when they first started to flourish, before they stopped flourishing.
emotion-6.gif
The prices they are commanding now would have been better than a pension (though I wouldn't have sold any personally).
I saw the Heathen SACD by David Bowie (one of his best works IMO) made about £50 on fleabay recently!

At the moment, listening to the Tumbleweed Connection SACD by Elton John - very good 5.1 mixing on this one.

A

Anonymous

It would be nice to think that some of the major record label execs are aware that high definition music on out of print SACD, DVD-A and DualDisc is being sold on the second hand market for silly money and have a plan in motion to re-release some of this already mastered back catalogue on Bluray as an audio only format.
emotion-43.gif

There is demand HD 24bit audio especially now as Buray has captured a decent share of the overall market

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Andrew, I checked out the Naxos links and have just picked up two Naxos Blu-ray audios of Chopin (1 and 2) from hmv online for 7.99pounds each. Quite a bit cheaper than from Naxos direct - looking forward to a great listen. (Maybe will wait till my Cyrus X Power amp arrives next week.)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Haven't been able to track it down at the price mentioned above - best so far seems to be from Amazon in the States, which ends up at about £27 with shipping (not that I've looked too hard for a better price)

unfocused

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Damn the Torpedoes Blu-ray is on amazon uk at 12.99 at the moment. The Mojo Blu-ray is from 9.99 from an amazon uk based reseller (new).

Amazon seems to vary its own selling price enormously over time - up and down like a....boat in a storm.

(I have no shares in the above-mentioned website, but do seem to spend a lot with them, therefore probably assisting their share price)

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
If you're a Neil Young fan and if you're happy to pay c. £200, then consider Neil Young: Archives, Vol. 1: 1963-1972 - a 10-disc Blu-ray box set - IMHO it sounds amazing. (I've only heard it via 2-channel, mind.)

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
unfocused:
The Damn The Torpedoes blu-ray at £12.99 on amazon.co.uk is the Classic Albums documentary about the making of the album and not the blu-ray audio disc.

Sorry, my mistake, here's a link to the right one (17.99). Amazon seem to move their prices up and down a lot.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Damn-Torpedoes-Deluxe-Petty-Heartbreakers/dp/B0042KZJ50/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297798325&sr=8-2

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts