Tha mother-in-law is thrilled to bits.

She called round an hour ago and I had 'Bookends' by Simon and Garfunkel playing, which I think sounds pants. Not the best quality recording IME.

"Turn it up," she barked. Very out of character. "Love the separation and tone of your system. My one sounds very boxy..."

Anyway, she said she wants me to go and pick a system over the next few weeks. I recommended Marantz all-in-one. Not the 603 but the cheaper one as she won't be streaming. And she needs it small. Currently has a Technics midi, which is okay but slightly lacking in SQ.

Marantz 50something

Denon D38

These two I put forward as likely candidates. All she needs is a one box for CDs and radio.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The M-CR502 is discontinued.

The M-CR503 (Melody Music) is current but "not available in the UK" according to the Marantz UK website.

She may as well get the M-CR603. (Streaming is not compulsory and the M-CR603's optical digital input will be very handy for plugging in a TV. Superior to using RCA analogue inputs.)

There are a number of M-CR603 + speakers 'package deals' that will save a bit of cash. (Dave at Hifix/Frank Harvey can advise).

The DM38DAB has been replaced (from about now onwards) by the DM39DAB which should cost around £250. (And will probably be offered in package deals as well.)

Out of the two I would suggest the Denon DM39DAB (or discounted, old stock DM38DAB). The M-CR603 would be perfect but it's more expensive and you don't want her system to sound better than yours :)

chebby said:

The M-CR503 (Melody Music) is current but "not available in the UK" according to the Marantz UK website.

She may as well get the M-CR603. (Streaming is not compulsory and the M-CR603's optical digital input will be very handy for plugging in a TV. Superior to using RCA analogue inputs.)

There are a number of M-CR603 + speakers 'package deals' that will save a bit of cash. (Dave at Hifix/Frank Harvey can advise).

The DM38DAB has been replaced (from about now onwards) by the DM39DAB which should cost around £250. (And will probably be offered in package deals as well.)

Out of the two I would suggest the Denon DM39DAB (or discounted, old stock DM38DAB). The M-CR603 would be perfect but it's more expensive and you don't want her having a system that sounds better than yours :)

Didn't realise the 502 had been culled.

Her Technics, although about 15 years old, cost her around £500. So it's no shrinking violet.

Pah! :grin:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
chebby said:
Noticed on that webpage they have a bundle deal with the MA BX5. So it can drive small floorstanders ok?

It drives my compact floorstanders brilliantly.

Gramophone tested it using £1500 PMC GB1s and found it performed excellently with them.

"...the Marantz system proved more than capable of both driving them and making them sound rather special..."

Paul.

Interesting, I do quite like that thing, even though I have no need for one. Curious how it would sound with my BR5s. I sometimes miss the Marantz amp I used to pair them with.

chebby said:

Out of the two I would suggest the Denon DM39DAB (or discounted, old stock DM38DAB). The M-CR603 would be perfect but it's more expensive and you don't want her system to sound better than yours :)

I've read Andrew's review of the Marantz a few times since it was revealed on here. It all seems wonderful - but nothing new about a modestly-priced amp sounding great with expensive speakers. When I heard my A65 with the original GB1s it sounded terrific. In addition, Mr. Duncan said he heard a Rega Mira with 5k and 7k speakers, which was a revelation to him. So purely in that context I don't really know what one can/should draw from that conclusion. Other than, perhaps, the Marantz is flexible as regards what one can spend. I don't know, this is just my personal ramblings.

That's one option but can't see her taking it. She's 70 years old and she's probably done more in the last couple of years than the previous 20. She's decided on a new system, but slightly hamstrung by the fact she has the system on shelves. So the speakers need to be forgiving enough to sit close to a wall.

She's heard my system many times and has decided now's the time to change TBH.

She isn't like a typical OAP: the ma-in-law is the fastest driver I've seen, even I have truoble keeping up in my Alfa; joined a local choir and wants to learn to fly. OMG, puts me to shame.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
That's one option but can't see her taking it. She's 70 years old and she's probably done more in the last couple of years than the previous 20. She's decided on a new system, but slightly hamstrung by the fact she has the system on shelves. So the speakers need to be forgiving enough to sit close to a wall.

She's heard my system many times and has decided now's the time to change TBH.

She isn't like a typical OAP: the ma-in-law is the fastest driver I've seen, even I have truoble keeping up in my Alfa; joined a local choir and wants to learn to fly. OMG, puts me to shame.

I wish my mother - in- law was like yours . Mine is 75 and becoming more decrepid by the day . Her life revolves around watching one soap after another , her weekly hair and nail appointments , visits to the doctors and counting out her pills . She will be going on a cruise in a weeks time with my wife , sister and friend . This is the minimum number of "staff" that she travels with ! She is know in our family as " Hyacinth " !

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
What about the Denon CEOL? Similar, well thought of by the mag, and a bit cheaper than the Marantz. I think RS among others had good package deals. Was quite tempted myself, but the gaffer didn't like it.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Given how effervescent she remains even with advancing years, she might want to consider a new career as a hifi journalist.

:)

I always wonder about comments like that. As with the multitude of comments like "my wife normally isn't interested in my system, but even she could hear the difference when I changed speaker cable. She didn't know I'd changed anything, but she walked into the room and asked what was different as it was as if a veil had been lifted from the speakers".

Whereas my mates and missus just about manage "Aye, the thumpy bits are good, the thingy, y'know, aye, the bass. And it's quite clear" usually followed by "but I can't hear the difference from mine" which, typically, is a £200 mini system.

My missus can usually tell an expensive speaker from a cheap one at a demo, but she usually just likes something, doesn't know why.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
I always wonder about comments like that. As with the multitude of comments like "my wife normally isn't interested in my system, but even she could hear the difference when I changed speaker cable. She didn't know I'd changed anything, but she walked into the room and asked what was different as it was as if a veil had been lifted from the speakers".

Yeah right.

She definitely wouldn't notice her obsessive cable tweaker hubby drooling over pictures of cables on the internet for weeks beforehand.

Also wouldn't notice the special 'reference' music being played louder than normal when she comes in from work. (Or the little stack of favourite reference/demo CD cases.)

Wouldn't see that the hifi is dust free, tidy and gleaming for once.

Wouldn't notice the bag from the hi-fi shop in the bin.

Wouldn't realise it was her cue to do the... "say something nice about the hi-fi and pretend I can't read the mind of this eight year-old boy in a man's body, like a book, after years of living in the same house together" thing.

I agree bigblue. I wonder why people make comments like that without blushing at their own ignorance/under-estimation of their partner's powers of perception.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
bigblue235 said:

Yeah right.

She definitely wouldn't notice her obsessive cable tweaker hubby drooling over pictures of cables on the internet for weeks beforehand.

Also wouldn't notice the special 'reference' music being played louder than normal when she comes in from work. (Or the little stack of favourite reference/demo CD cases.)

Wouldn't realise it was her cue to do the... "say something nice about the hi-fi and pretend I can't read the mind of this eight year-old boy in a man's body, like a book, after years of living in the same house together" thing.

I agree bigblue. I wonder why people make comments like that without blushing at their own ignorance/under-estimation of their partner's powers of perception.

I think this may now be my 'reference post' to quote every time someone says such nonsense.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
bigblue235 said:

Yeah right.

:wave:

because men are naive and gullible ...
They also like us To see that they cut 1 cm of hair after coming from the salon.
that this nail polish color is two shades lighter or darker.
always have the vain hope that we notice that the room needs new curtains.
always been like that through the years, and will never change.

And thank god for that!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts