Tested: the PS3 Slim does bitstream HD audio over HDMI

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It'll be after the long weekend - we want to give it a thorough going-over, including comparative testing with the original PS3 plus standalone Blu-ray players, and a check on streaming etc. Oh, and gaming, of course
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:See the picture evidence here (sorry about the quick cameraphone shot!) - and yes, we've tried it with DTS MA-HD as well as Dolby True HD. Full Sony PS3 Slim review to follow....

And what sounded better.....1. the PS3 doing the converting and sending via LPCM or, 2 the PS3 bitstreaming and the amp doing the conversion of HD audio??

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We'll detail that in the full review - this was a first-five-minutes-out-of-the-box test to establish the PS3 Slim will bitstream HD audio, as there seemed to be some confusion (even within Sony!) whether it was the case

A

Anonymous

Thanks....we all wait with baited breath to clear up the 'Bitstream vs LPCM' argument

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:It'll be after the long weekend - we want to give it a thorough going-over, including comparative testing with the original PS3 plus standalone Blu-ray players, and a check on streaming etc. Oh, and gaming, of course
emotion-2.gif

Surely game wise it should be identical to the "fat" PS3? I would also expect this to be the case regarding BD/DVD playback.

Do we know for sue yet that the "fat"PS3 will definatly not bitstream HD after the 3.00 firmware update?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
D.J.KRIME:
Surely game wise it should be identical to the "fat" PS3? I would also expect this to be the case regarding BD/DVD playback.

From our years of testing experience, we've come to distrust 'should', and certainly go into the review with no preconceptions.

D.J.KRIME:

Do we know for sue yet that the "fat"PS3 will definatly not bitstream HD after the 3.00 firmware update?

No, we don't - but rest assured we'll be quick on that download, too!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
D.J.KRIME:

Clare Newsome:It'll be after the long weekend - we want to give it a thorough going-over, including comparative testing with the original PS3 plus standalone Blu-ray players, and a check on streaming etc. Oh, and gaming, of course
emotion-2.gif

everything i have read says hardware not firmware for bitstream - i also wouldn't be surprised if they def didn't do it to give the slim a USP and make us all shell out again if we decide we really need it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts