Tesco granite chopping boards - £10 (from £12.50)

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
As it looks like I'm not upgrading components I decided to bite the bullet and try the granite chopping board under the speaker stands trick.

So nipped into Tesco and found they are reduced from £12.50 to £10 at the mo... hopefully will get to try 'em out later.

A

Anonymous

I went for the more high end Sainsbury's granite chopping boards for my speakers :p They certainly look nice, not sure how much of a sonic improvement they really make, but they're worth it for their visual merits alone.

A

Anonymous

Big Aura said:
glad someone's found another use for these. why would anyone want to ruin their knives with a granite chopping board!?

Totally agree. Granite has to be one of the worst materials to use as a chopping board in terms of ruining your knives. I wonder if that's why they tend to market them as "worktop savers" rather than chopping boards. Anyone serious about cooking would be mad to use a granite chopping board*!

*unless, like myself you are also serious about Hi-Fi and you use them as plinths for your speakers...

A

Anonymous

This is a SOLID ... Deal....
smiley-laughing.gif

A

Anonymous

I bought a couple of these for my floorstanders, didn't seem to make that much difference. But seeing they were so cheap I thought I would buy some to go under my CD player and Amps, so I got another 6 (yes SIX) and only got round to fitting them yesterday.

I have a Partington MINIM AV rack, which has glass shelves, and each shelf takes 3 granite boards almost perfectly, butted long sides together.

There seems to be a lot more bass, I could feel the low notes vibrating the table I was siting at, and I've never felt that before and the volume wasn't eactly turned up. Fairly good value at £75 for the 6 I think..

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Dr Lodge said:
I bought a couple of these for my floorstanders, didn't seem to make that much difference.

It will depend on what your speakers are sitting on at the moment. Fregsample my stands are spiked through the carpet straight onto concrete, so there's nothing to be gained in stability by putting anything else underneath them.

A

Anonymous

I'm using a granite worktop saver from tesco in my kitchen... as a worktop saver!

You're right it isn't good for chopping on but it is excellent for putting hot stuff on that would otherwise scorch a wooden chopping board or melt a plastic one. It has the advantage of being easy wipe as well where as plastic and wooden ones are breeding grounds for bacteria. It doesn't warp like a wooden ones either as well as looking a damn site better left out on your worktop.

Edward Marlowe said:
So does it work equally well with more than one board under one component? I ask because I'm planning to try one of these under my tt, but I can't find one that's as big as a Rega Planar 3: all the board are 40x30, where my tt is 45 by 36...
Are the TT feet not inboard of the overall size, and might it not therefore fit? If not, there's no reason why two smaller chopping boards wouldn't do a similar job.

nopiano said:
Edward Marlowe said:
So does it work equally well with more than one board under one component? I ask because I'm planning to try one of these under my tt, but I can't find one that's as big as a Rega Planar 3: all the board are 40x30, where my tt is 45 by 36...
Are the TT feet not inboard of the overall size, and might it not therefore fit? If not, there's no reason why two smaller chopping boards wouldn't do a similar job.

Nopiano is correct if I recall, the Planar 3 should fit on this size of board. At least the feet should.

However I found using the board itself makes little difference unless it is supported by Sorbothane feet.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I use granite chopping boards under my floorstanders. This is because my floor is laminates which are a bit wobbly / bendy in places. The granite helps to provide a firm base for the speakers. Got mine from Lakeland: £20 each - they are supposed to be for making chocolate!

TRENDING THREADS