Technics linear tracking turntables

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

Linear tracking turntables,are they any good?

I have been looking on eBay for an automatic turntable and there is some rather nice looking Technics SL-7s

and and SL-10s which would suit me as they are rather smaller than the average deck.

I don't know much about linear tracking decks except they are fully automatic and they have a smaller footprint.

I would like to have some opinions from from people that use or have used these decks as to their reliability and performance and any other things that are relevent.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

pegleg1945 said:
Hi guys,

Linear tracking turntables,are they any good?

I have been looking on eBay for an automatic turntable and there is some rather nice looking Technics SL-7s

and and SL-10s which would suit me as they are rather smaller than the average deck.

I don't know much about linear tracking decks except they are fully automatic and they have a smaller footprint.

I would like to have some opinions from from people that use or have used these decks as to their reliability and performance and any other things that are relevent.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Hi,

They are reasonably good when working correctly.

There are a few people on this forum that still use them. I had an SL10 for a short while so cannot vouch for its long term reliability although the build quality is good. Having said that some have had problems with their lid closing mechanism breaking. The only other problem I know of is a limited choice of stylus.

These are old decks and reliability therefore cannot be guaranteed, however, you could say that about new decks.

As always best to collecrt in person and ensure it is fully working before you pay.

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,thanks Al,

I know what you mean about reliability of new players,I have a brand new deck that hums sometimes,(only sometimes) and also loses sound to the right hand speaker,(again only sometimes),when it happens I simply take off the headshell and replace it and it works perfectly.When I took it back to the dealer it would'nt happen again so I'm stuck with it. I think it's all down to luck!

pegleg1945 said:
Hi,thanks Al,

I know what you mean about reliability of new players,I have a brand new deck that hums sometimes,(only sometimes) and also loses sound to the right hand speaker,(again only sometimes),when it happens I simply take off the headshell and replace it and it works perfectly.When I took it back to the dealer it would'nt happen again so I'm stuck with it. I think it's all down to luck!

You might try spraying with a contact-cleaner or perhaps purchase a new headshell.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
SL-7 (and SL-6) user amongst others.

Rock solid, stylish and reliable but complex (and expensive if you can't do it yourself) if work is needed.

You can import some very good cartridges/stylii such as LP Gears Reference (AT based) Shibata and Grado models but the choice is limited to the mounting.

Stock hard wired RCA cable is bad.

I have never done a direct comparison but I would be surprised if any cheaper Project or Rega players sound as good.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a little SL6 I bought years ago and keep in my home studio. It's fitted with an Ortofon OM-P10 cartridge. It's not bad for the price I paid (£50). I'm sure the big boys like the SL10 and SL15 substantially better it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts