Teac Reference Owners and WHF

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Having had the H500DNT for a year ,I have had no problems,in fact a good piece of kit. However I have just contracted to a Galaxy S and have started to put music on it.I tried connecting through the USB but nothing(shows not connected).It is advertised as a USB/ipod connection and it does play usb stick music,records vinyl to usb stick and no problem with ipod/phone.

However it will not play from the Galaxy nor a Nokia Express for Music. As far as I know,both phones are FAT formatted which the Teac spec states as a prerequisite.

Emailed TEAC,no response after three weeks(despite read receipt) and went through purchase dealer who also contacted Teac and they could not help either.

Any chance WHF can put the record straight(ie give them a kick into reality and modern connection requirements) or can any reference owners say whether their kit works with non apple phones.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Quite possible that either the storage on the mobile devices is too large for the system to index and read, or the phones are demanding more power (in an attempt to charge) than the system can deliver.

I suspect the system is seeing the phone not as a simple USB storage device, but as a phone, and is thus unable to play from it, whereas it has the software built-in to play from various iThings.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
As far as storage capacity goes,it can handle at least 16gig because I have already put a usb stick that size in.

There is no charge facility as far as I am aware, and you can stick a 32 gig iphone in no problem.

My beef is it is advertised as a USB port and is not handling a usb phone input,and I am simply not getting any response from Teac.

What I would like to hear is the prospect of a software upgrade.After all, with the Galaxy getting such high reviews,who is going to buy Teac products if they have restricted compatibility.

Since Teac will not listen to their customers nor dealers ,can we not have a little representation from your goodselves to push the point.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'm afraid that simply because the system has a USB port doesn't mean you can connect any device with a USB socket. For example, you wouldn't get very far connecting a computer's USB output to it, either. Unfortunately, USB isn't quite as universal as that.

However, I have sent an email to Teac asking for a response, and will report back when I hear from the company.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
I'm afraid that simply because the system has a USB port doesn't mean you can connect any device with a USB socket. For example, you wouldn't get very far connecting a computer's USB output to it, either. Unfortunately, USB isn't quite as universal as that.

However, I have sent an email to Teac asking for a response, and will report back when I hear from the company.
I appreciate that first line- whereas the manual does not specifically state (non i-)phones it does say " the unit can play MP3 files recorded in various external USB storage devices such as USB flash memory MP3 player or HDD.The HDD must be FAT16 or 32 not NFTS"

I would consider the phone is acting as an MP3 player in this case,but the software does not. It really would be retrograde if the reference series did not link up to music player phones.

Thanks for the representation.I did not want to do it this way but I just felt I was getting nowhere.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately, some manufacturers think that iPhones are the majority, and no one buys Android based phones. With the likes of the new HTC (which seems like a cool phone and very slick to use), and many existing Nokia, Blackberry and Samsung users, they'd better wake up and realise this isn't the case. Even if iPhones do have a majority share, there's no reason why the USB connections shouldn't be useable with other phones.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Just had a reply from Teac PR person, who's also daft enough to be working on a Sunday: he says he'll pass this on to Teac and hopefully the company will answer on Monday.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure he's daft, just aware of a potential time bomb on sales if the issue isn't addressed.

(not too melodramatic a statement,is it?
smiley-innocent.gif
)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
This might be quite a daft comment.
But on the iPhone you can switch it to AIRPLANE MODE which effectively turns iPhone into an iPod.
Does the Galaxy S have a similar function ?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Interesting thread.

I read a lot of Ravey's input on the subject of a good quality mini/all-in-one unit when deciding between the Teac and the Marantz that I have now. (And even on whether to 'downsize' at all.)

I bought the Marantz because the Teac lacked an optical input to it's internal DAC. Not much, it might seem, but essential to me and a deciding factor. (Both units reviewed well.)

Just recently I have been thinking whether to upgrade to an iPhone 4 (from old 8GB iPhone 3GS) when I renew my phone contract - at the beginning of June - or get a non Apple solution like your Galaxy S. I have decided to go with the iPhone 4 and the kind of 'predicament' Ravey describes here is one of the main reasons.

I committed myself further to this path by purchasing and downloading 'AirPlay' from Marantz for £39. I can use it with iTunes on my computer and phone right now but need that 32GB so I can forget about the computer except for syncing.

As it stands now (with refund for old phone etc.) it will cost me about £140 to get a 32GB iPhone 4 on my next contract with the same monthly payments. I compared this with the cost of an iTouch 32GB (£254) plus a non Apple phone and decided to go for the iPhone 4 instead. (Just hoping iPhone 5 doesn't get launched before June to spoil my calculations!)

As much as Apple, iTunes, iPhone, iPods, AirPlay etc. may not be the way some people like to organise things, it is all I know and it is easy. and everything works.

I guess I am a bit slow to pick up new tricks and I have become so accustomed to my iPhone that I will have to get another one to keep things easy.

That's how they get you :)

Ravey, I hope Teac can come up quickly with a simple fix for your problem.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that ,Chebby.Have you tried an android in the Marantz?(you know what I mean)

As a bit of history, we built an extension last year which, I was informed, was listening only(and minimalistic).Given that instruction,I did the trawl and the TEAC/room matched not just the wife's needs but my forward plans for networking hub, vinyl play,and streaming/NAS. No Marantz kit had the ability for all the functions at the time,nor anything else.

(Edit- except the Uniti which was too expensive)

So TEAC it was.

It served its purpose at the first party with my sons ipod and after that for a year no problems.

I was overdue an upgrade on my phone and had the choice between the Galaxy (£10 plus £15.00 per month) or the iphone 4 (£100 plus £30.00 per month).To me a no brainer based on usage,and current kit.

Based on all the other manufacturers updates/upgrades/apps going on,I really did not envisage a problem on the Galaxy.

What has amazed me is the total lack of response or interest from TEAC about something which is really now a very valid sales point.

Had the competition existed a year ago,I may well have plumped for the Marantz.But that's hindsight for you.

The TEAC is still a great unit but I'm disappointed at the lack of marketing response.(so far)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts