Tapestry - Carole King

A

Anonymous

Just thinking about getting the remastered version of this classic, not always convinced by the remastering process, but without trying, who knows.

grimmers

Jul 31, 2008
Visit site
it's one of those classic albums that most people over a certain age have in there collection, whilst on the subject try and find a copy of neil young's harvest album and be ready for the hairs on the back of youre neck standing up

matthewpiano

grimmers:it's one of those classic albums that most people over a certain age have in there collection, whilst on the subject try and find a copy of neil young's harvest album and be ready for the hairs on the back of youre neck standing up

'Harvest' is a stunning piece of work. Its one of those albums that you just can't turn off once you've put it on.

I must get the Tapestry remaster. Never heard the whole album.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
As Neil himself said of Harvest it was middle of the road fare. And for me, an okay Neil album of its kind. The two albums either side of it are way more interesting: After The Goldrush (acoustic, folky, very harmony driven but not too syrupy) and Time Fades Away ( alive album of brand new songs - bewildering and brilliant. Raw vocals and non-plussed crowd much in evidence).

matthewpiano

Charlie Jefferson:As Neil himself said of Harvest it was middle of the road fare. And for me, an okay Neil album of its kind. The two albums either side of it are way more interesting: After The Goldrush (acoustic, folky, very harmony driven but not too syrupy) and Time Fades Away ( alive album of brand new songs - bewildering and brilliant. Raw vocals and non-plussed crowd much in evidence).

On the NY subject, have you heard the new one? I'm nervous about buying it in case its too much like 'Living With War', which I thought was awful. I loved 'Chrome Dreams II', but I get the impression that the new one is closer in style to LWW. Any thoughts?

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Every now and again an album comes out that reads more like a greatest hits than a studio recording. "Tapestry" is one of the best examples. Two others I can think of off the top of my head are "Rio" by Duran Duran and "Thriller" by Michael Jackson.

"Harvest" is great but I agree with Charlie in that "After The Goldrush" is even better.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:Charlie Jefferson:As Neil himself said of Harvest it was middle of the road fare. And for me, an okay Neil album of its kind. The two albums either side of it are way more interesting: After The Goldrush (acoustic, folky, very harmony driven but not too syrupy) and Time Fades Away ( alive album of brand new songs - bewildering and brilliant. Raw vocals and non-plussed crowd much in evidence).

On the NY subject, have you heard the new one? I'm nervous about buying it in case its too much like 'Living With War', which I thought was awful. I loved 'Chrome Dreams II', but I get the impression that the new one is closer in style to LWW. Any thoughts?

The new album, Fork In The Road, is far from essential Neil, for me at least. Yep, I'd rank it alongside the weak but well-intended Living With War. Too many trudging sludgy rockers and not enough blistering guitar shard solos or many decent tunes for that matter. That said, isn't it great that NY has the guts to release stuff he wants to play and many possibly don't want or expect to hear?

Far more interesting is the prospect of the much heralded, oft-delayed Archives Vol.1. A tempting orgy of all things Neil upto 1972, in Blu-Ray, CD and vinyl formats. According to Mojo it's due out early June. Then again I've salivated at putative release dates for the last five years, all to no avail.

Here's hoping.

A

Anonymous

Tapestry was a defining LP of my childhood. I got it on CD a few years ago, and shortly thereafter was in the car with my older brother, having not seen him for a while. I told him I had a CD he'd like, and ejected the disc in his car CDP, which was his shiny new copy of, you've guessed it, Tapestry!

I've recently got the 180g Vinyl reissues of Sheer Heart Attack, A Day At The Races and A Night At The Opera. You forget how amazing and innovative Queen were early on. I mean any album with Stone Cold Crazy and Leroy Brown on it, is pretty brave stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts