Tannoy RS DC6T vs MA RX6 vs KEF Q500 vs Rega RS5 + Suitable budget AVR

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Im upgrading my current 5.1 surround sound but I can't afford to do it all right away so to start with im looking to get some floorstanders for fronts and then get the rest of the 5.1 over a year or so

I currently have a harmon kardon AVR230 powering 4 small infinity satellites and the Infinity TSS-SUB4000. I eventually want to replace the whole system.

Its mostly for movies but I also would like them to be fairly decent for music aswell. The room is 4m x 10m with the tv on the 10m wall.
Ive narrowed down the speaker choice to:

Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T floorstanders
Monitor Audio RX6 floorstanders
Rega RS5 floorstanders (No reviews)
KEF Q500 floorstanders (No reviews)
(Acoustic Energy Aelite 3/Radiance 2?)

Does anyone have opinions on which of these speakers would best suit my needs?

Im also wondering if the harmon kardon AVR230 would be able to power them temporarily until i got a new receiver or is it worth me getting a budget receiver such as

Pioneer VSX-920
Denon AVR-1911
Yamaha RX-V667/767
Onkyo TX-SR608

I would only have a maximum budget of around £400 for the receiver until i can upgrade it in a year so.

So i would appreciate any advice on which speakers to go for and which receiver would be a good match for a more or less neutral sound.

Would i be able to use the infinity sub with the speakers or would it ruin the timings?

Thanks in advance for your advice, I really appreciate it
Im gonna organise a some demo's based on what people reply
Oh and im not interested in equipment that needs to be played loud to come alive. I like movies loud, but occasionally ill wanna play music quieter in the background for example

Any opinions or preferences are greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!

Chris

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
In my opinion, it'll be best to have a trip to your local, decent av store and listen to these speakers for yourself......

You will find that they are all very good, but one might be better than the other's according to your ears after listening to them.

On here you will get 4/5 different opinions when it comes to questions like yours.....best to trust your own ears and decide which you prefer after hearing them.

I did just that before xmas, and came home with the KEF Q500's over the MA RX6 and B&W 684 packages....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
In my opinion, it'll be best to have a trip to your local, decent av store and listen to these speakers for yourself...... You will find that they are all very good, but one might be better than the other's according to your ears after listening to them. On here you will get 4/5 different opinions when it comes to questions like yours.....best to trust your own ears and decide which you prefer after hearing them. I did just that before xmas, and came home with the KEF Q500's over the MA RX6 and B&W 684 packages....

My opinion is that I agree with Pete's opinion. We can't really tell you what you will prefer.

How do you like your music presented?....More forward and exciting (eg.Pioneer/Onkyo) or more musical (Marantz/Denon).

In case it's of interest, I would choose the Rega from your list. Ultimately the speakers need to "work" with the amp that you pick. There's nothing wrong with your short list - give them all a demo with the amp that you get.

Cno

A

Anonymous

I heard the yamaha rx-v667 is a brilliant amp for the price this year but needs to be played loud.. do you know if this is true for the 767?? The amount of demoing i can do is very limited so I wanted to have choice of around 2 before I made the trip

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Intransik12 said:
I heard the yamaha rx-v667 is a brilliant amp for the price this year but needs to be played loud.. do you know if this is true for the 767?? The amount of demoing i can do is very limited so I wanted to have choice of around 2 before I made the trip

Thanks

If it was me, it would be the Kef and the Rega. Can't really help more than that.

Cno

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I would hold onto the Harman as it is a really good amp and will happily drive any of your speaker choices. You will need to listen but the Q500's would be my first suggestion with the Harman. They will like the power and the new tweeter will not sound forced with the upfront AVR230.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts