Tannoy Revolution R3 Speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

A mate of mine has offered a pair of Tannoy Revolution R3 speakers. I was wondering if they are any good because they are over 10 years old I think. Were they ever reviewed by What Hi Fi Sound and Vision? If so what did they say about them? Would they be a suitable partner for my NAD CD player and amp.

In general have speaker design changed much in the last 10 years? My mate said they were £550 new so I'm wondering how they would compare to similarly priced speakers of today.

Thank you for your help.

A

Anonymous

They're nice speakers - I do believe WHF reviewed them, but many, many years ago...I think they got quite a good review!

I would say they would challenge £500 speakers today and would be on par with something like the Monitor Audio BR5.

A

Anonymous

Didn't get to hear the R3s, but I did listen to the R2s and R1. That was a great series, IMO. It had a traditional British sound, very warm, very good for acoustic music, specially classical. One of the best piano sounds I've heard.

Here you have some reviews:
EDITED for house rules violations - Mods

HFC reviewed the R1 with 4 stars, and the R2 with 5 stars, if I recall well.

They will match nicely with NAD.

The basics of speaker design actually have not changed over the past 50 years. You still have mostly bass-reflex designs, less sealed-box designs, some TL, very few horns, some electrostatics, etc.

Materials have changed, but silk domes and treated paper woofer cones (such as the ones the R3 uses) are timeless. Some people still think they give the most natural timbre. That series did use neodimium magnets for the tweeter and also ferro-fluid cooling, which are pretty much a standard for tweeters nowadays (except for Focal, which claims that ferrofluid slows down the tweeter, everybody uses them).

A

Anonymous

Sorry, slightly off-topic, but Tannoyite already you have made great contributions to this forum only after 30-odd posts! A big well done & thanks!!!

A

Anonymous

Tannoyite:Thank you Hughes123! I really appreciate it.

No problem!

A

Anonymous

I had a pair before the Monitor Audios, and suspect they will have aged quite well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts