Tannoy Revolution R3! NEED HELP!

Gmodzz

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I recently got given a pair of tannoy revolution r3's by my dad who is currently away and uncontactable.

I have literally no experience with speaker systesms apart from the ones I use on my pc but I really wanted to get these working either on a tv or my pc if that is possible?

I have no cables or leads or anything, and I was just wondering how to set them up and what kind of money i would need to invest in getting them up and running as they only sockets/plugs they have are 4 on the back of each speaker, two red and two black, which i assume is negative and posotive!

Any input or help is highly appreciated:)

Thanks!

John Duncan

Hi and welcome to the forum. Nice speakers...

The headline for you is that you will need an amplifier to connect between the TV and speakers, but there will be some details that might dictate what kind, what cables you'll need etc etc.

What kind of TV is it and do you have a budget in mind to get you up and running?

cheers

JD

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You will need an amplifier for a start, pc is possible also TV but sound quality from TV is not good but you can play a bluRay player throught but u stiill need an amp or receiver. Think you need to decide whether you want music or AV sound.

Gmodzz

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Im currently using a LG 26LC55 if that is of any use!

In the way of price range, i wouldn't hopefully be looking to spend an awful lot of money, just enough to get something satisfactory and working! :)

thanks again!

John Duncan

Gmodzz said:
Im currently using a LG 26LC55 if that is of any use!

In the way of price range, i wouldn't hopefully be looking to spend an awful lot of money, just enough to get something satisfactory and working! :)

thanks again!

Thanks, that's a start in terms of the connections it has - do you also use a set top box of any sort (eg Sky or Virgin)?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
well if you don't to spend much I think an old Arcam maybe 3 or NAD would do for starters should be able to get on the bay for about £30 or so, of course you can spend a bit more for something better.

Gmodzz

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
can you show me some links if thtas not too much? sorry im just really useless with this kinda stuff& do you happen to know what kind of wires or connectors i would need if any to set up to a pc?

John Duncan

I would probably err on the side of getting a slightly older AV receiver. Not beuase they're any better or worse than a stereo amp, but beause they depreciate vertigiinously, so you can get quite a good amp for pennies. For example, something like the Yamaha DSP-AX620 was a 400 quid What Hifi Award Winner a few years ago, but can now sell for as little as 20 quid on well known auction sites. Currently selling ones are here.

Something like that (monstrously big as it is) would have enough power to drive the Tannoys and would have loads of connectivity for your other sources including PC. Connecting your PC may depend on what facilities/outputs your current PC, but could be as simple as just connecting the headphone socket using a cable like this, but might be improved upon if your PC has an optical digital output, for example.

Gmodzz

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Would this be all I need? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-DSP-AX620-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier-/331214263832?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item4d1de89618

And the Cable that you linked me to.. are there any other cables i need to buy?:) to connect to the back of the speakers and the amp? because i currently have none.

thanks for all the help and advice!!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
speaker cable just measure length, allow for going up and down, add 2 m, then either buy some multi strand OFC cable off bay or go Maplins and get some Van Damme or Richers have some OK ones for about £2-£4 pm. Should be fairly oblivious, make sure the amp is off. 4 on back of speaker is for biwiring, which I would not bother with but there should be plate between the top and bottom, if not use speaker cable.

John Duncan

Gmodzz said:
Would this be all I need? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-DSP-AX620-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier-/331214263832?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item4d1de89618

Yes it would - it will allow you to connect loads of sources like PC, TV etc. As BigH says, all you need is some reasonably thick generic speaker cable and you'll be away. It'll probably go for more than a tenner, but don;t pay any more than forty! Note also that it's collection only which may not be convenient. There are others though, as you'll have seen

Gmodzz said:
And the Cable that you linked me to.. are there any other cables i need to buy?:) to connect to the back of the speakers and the amp? because i currently have none.

Other than some speaker cable, no - that would get you started.

As for getting connected, it should be reasonably straightforward but will depend on exactly what you try to connect into it as to which sockets are best - probably best that we advise when you have an actual amplifier in front of you. On that note, what is your computer?

Gmodzz

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Here are a link to my computer specs! Hope that helps, well i will purchase an amp in the next few days and also this speaker wire and then I can just post again on here or on a new topic i guess? :)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2hnv1pz&s=8#.U5DAzfldXIc

http://i58.tinypic.com/10d8t55.png

John Duncan

Thanks, that looks helpful in terms of specs of your machine. The main question is whether it has a digital out, which will dictate how you might connect to any amplifier you might buy - I will see if I can find out more.

JD

Gmodzz

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Thanks, that looks helpful in terms of specs of your machine. The main question is whether it has a digital out, which will dictate how you might connect to any amplifier you might buy - I will see if I can find out more.

JD

would a help of the back and front of my pc help? i can do it quite easily

John Duncan

Just so we're clear, does the set of outputs look like this?

H17DBa7.png

Specifically, does socket 1 exist?

EDIT - posts crossed :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts