Tannoy or Mordaunt Short 5.1? Quick reply appreciated as no speakers!

Always cut the red wire!

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

Quick answer needed as i have no surround sound!!!

Going to buy either Mordaunt Short Alumni 5.1 or Tannoy Mercury AV Lite 5.1 speaker packages. Been offered them both for the same price. The Tannoys come with Floorstanders which I prefer.

Will play Movies 90% of the time.

Room is 9ft x 15ft and very open.

Got an Onkyo AV receiver if that helps.

Which would you buy and why over the other? I will be buying either on Friday and will use your knowledge to decide which.

Thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

Check the frequency response and signal to noise ratio. Then defer to the one with the better spec. BUT end up buying the ones that to you, sound best in your room with your material.

John Duncan

Oh game over then - Tannoys no question
emotion-2.gif

EDIT - though to be fair, the Alumni are the gorgeous ones...

Always cut the red wire!

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
I know what you mean about the looks!

Was hoping not to go above £400 but...

Just saw the revies for the Q Acoustic 2000's...and them KEF's!

Q's are £500 though.

The F3 good? was told the F1 are better than the F3?

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:I personally prefer standmounts to floorstanders yes, especially cheap ones, but there's nothing wrong with the F3. I'd be delighted with this little lot for example...

What speakers do you use?

John Duncan

MosesJ:
JohnDuncan:I personally prefer standmounts to floorstanders yes, especially cheap ones, but there's nothing wrong with the F3. I'd be delighted with this little lot for example...

Right now? Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s. I'm in between speakers while I get my -rse in gear to do some auditioning. But in the last eighteen months I've had AVI Neutron Vs, PMC DB1+s and (very briefly) some fabulous Neat Petite SXs in the house.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:MosesJ:

Right now? Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s. I'm in between speakers while I get my -rse in gear to do some auditioning. But in the last eighteen months I've had AVI Neutron Vs, PMC DB1+s and (very briefly) some fabulous Neat Petite SXs in the house.

You are more a hi-fi buff than a home cinema?

John Duncan

Some thoughts on my erstwhile ambivalence towards home cinema here. So yes, though I'm coming round to the idea again after experiencing ('hearing' doesn't quite cover it) the Monitor Audio Platinums downstairs a few times now...

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Some thoughts on my erstwhile ambivalence towards home cinema here. So yes, though I'm coming round to the idea again after experiencing ('hearing' doesn't quite cover it) the Monitor Audio Platinums downstairs a few times now...

That is a killer speaker system!!

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
erby:
For what its worth I got the F1 package from superfi after some advice on here and absolutely love it.

I would imagine that your first-hand experience with this speaker system would be worth a lot to the OP.

Good choice, btw
emotion-21.gif

steven123

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
How can this be so cheap? The tannoy ts-10 has a retailprice of 300 pounds and got a 5 star rating here on whathifi! You will get the other speaker almost for free?!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts