Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs vs Wharfedale 10.1s

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'd be grafteful of some advice regarding speakers for my Denon DM37DAB.

I am currently using 12 year old Denon speakers from my old midi system and feel that with these I am not getting the best our of my newly acquired DM37. I am looking at purchasing either the Tannoy F1s or the Wharfedale 10.1s based on multiple good reviews of both products as well as the excellent What HiFi ratings. Not sure which way to go though, as the F1s are around the £100 mark and the 10.1s are double this at £200. Is it going to be worth this sort of outlay for a mini system that only cost £200 and will the DM37 have enough power to drive the 10.1s?

The speakers will be shelf or bracket mounted and will sit close to the wall. I tend to listen mainly to rock and blues music and prefer a bass-heavy sound, if this helps. Many thanks.

sae2003us

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I recenetly purchased the Denon DM37 too, with the Tannoy F1s.
I considered the 10.1's too, however felt that something like that would deserve a slightly higher end amp. to get the best from the speakers.

Also they are rear ported so it is recommended that a distance is kept from the wall, however if you like a bass-heavy sound, then having it close to a wall may do that (maybe someone with more expertise could advise there).

I find the Tannoy F1s sound great with the Denon, they bass can be adjusted to suit the speakers well.

Peace.

airliebird

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi I have just upgraded the standard speakers that came with my DM37DAB to the Wharfedale 10.1s and they have taken the sound quality to another level. I have not heard the Tannoys but if they are better than the 10.1s I would be amazed. I have placed my speakers on some Atacama 6i stands and use Atlas Equator speaker cable and its a combination that certainly works. I would be a bit wary about placing them close to a wall as the Denon is well known to be a little high on the base but by the sounds of it that is your preference anyway.

I listen to alot of Rock music including Deep Purple, AC/DC etc and they do a fantastic job of driving the music.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply chaps.

Can anyone from what HiFi comment on this or has anyone tested both of these with a mid priced mini system and can make an arguement for either product?

Thanks.

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi if you search the Forum you will find that are plenty of us who have the DM37 partnered with the Tannoys' and practicall all love the combination. I haven't tried it with the Wharfedale Diamnond 10.1's but I did try it with the Wharefdale Diamond 9.1's and much preferred the Tannoy's.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Just to echo the above, the Tannoy's work brilliantly with the Denon but can't do a comparison with the 10.1's. An absolute MUST, though, whichever you go is to pair them with decent speaker stands.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You'd struggle to get the best from the excellent Wharfedale 10.1s with the Denon DM-37 - i'd pair the Diamonds with something more powerful, such as Arcam's Solo Mini.

But going back to the Denon - an even better match than the (still superb) Tannoys, in our opinion, are the Q Acoustics 2010 speakers (£110). Insanely good value for money, and flexible to use (including wall-mount option).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts