Tannoy EFX5.1 speakers - any good ?

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Just getting started with settng up a home cinema system. I've got a Denon AVR-1507 amp and a Denon DVD-1930 dvd player.

I now need to sort out speakers. The system i'm putting together will be in a room 4 by 4 metres. I've not got a huge budget for my speakers so i am after so advise. I was going to go for KEF KHT1005's which i've seen for £250, but i've now seen the Tannoy EFX 5.1's for £219, which includes 2 speaker stands.

Are there any reviews on the Tannoys available, or has anyone tried a set ? Would their sound be suitable for my room size, not just to watch movies, but also to play music cd's which i do quite a bit.

Thanks for any advise.

A

Anonymous

I bought them for my set up and my room is 5 by 4 and they fill the space really well. I auditioned both the KEF's and Tannoys and preffered the Tannoys. Personally I would also buy better cable than that supplied with the Tannoys, QED original can be had for about £2.50 a metre and seems pretty good. I got my speakers for £199 but without stands, (although they offered a pair for £20 if bought with the speakers).

I think there is a review of a 5.1 speaker set up in this months mag which get 5 stars at around £200 - might be worth a read.

Grant

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. It's good to get a view from someone who has used them. I like the look of the KEF's more than the Tannoys but price (my budget isn't much) and performance dictates. No final decision made yet so if anyone else has an opinion then please reply.

I'll also check out this months mag for the review of the others you mention.

cball313

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I am in the sam situation of buying a speaker package thats not too expensive. Where did you see the EFX5.1 with the stands at that price for? and do you know what AV your are going to use with them?

A

Anonymous

Is this the best deal? - hifisuppliers.com (In the 'AV Speaker Packages' section)

...£199 (free postage), with stands @ £10 a pair (when bought with the EFX5.1). Seem to be available in silver or black (pricerunner suggested they were only available in silver at hifisuppliers.com).

Click these links for the latest prices - Pricerunner or Kelkoo.

P.S. 1st post. Hello everybody!
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

...Oh, and here's a review - Click Here!

Now, could anyone help me?

What are these things called when they have a built-in amplifier? I really can't afford an amp as well! I just want a surround system to plug my Xbox into (for 5.1 surround sound) via optical TOSLINK. If there's one for under £300 which could play music well enough to replace my 20 year old Technics stack that'd be perfect. Any ideas? (Other than "Get a job!")

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
They're called computer speaker systems, usually with the amplification for all the speakers built into the subwoofer.Try something like the Logitech Z-5450, which is a complete system for around £280. Or consider the Tannoy EFX5.1 speakers already suggested used with the old Sony STR-DE400 receiver, which Richer Sounds is doing for £130 here.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew. I like the 'sound' of those Logitech Z-5450 - REVIEW. Must be the cheapest way to get THX (if it's actually any good for anything other than Star Wars I don't know). But a proper, cheap, amp would probably be better, especially as I'll be bidding farewell to my trusty old Technics SU-X950 soon. It's 20 years old and the volume has started to waver up and down, I also have to turn on a nearby electrical appliance to get the sound to kick in, or crank up the volume until it bursts through into the speakers - I've had the tough little mutt since 1989. That Sony STR-DE400 has a 'radio' too, so I could chuck another piece in the bin (Technics ST-X990L), or sell it on ebay for £10! I'll probably have to keep my SL-P777 CD player, because the council said it's too big for them to come and collect it (it is 'old skool' big...but it does have buttons 1-20 for easy track skipping!). So, I'll get that amp as soon as I can (getting a Panasonic PT-AX200 projector first), then save for these Tannoy speakers (just in case you thought I'd forgotten the original post).

Cheers, Goatlips!

P.S. Here's an early review for the Panasonic PT-AX200 projector (released October 2007) - CLICK!

A

Anonymous

...These 2 Amplifier/Speaker Combies rate very highly - Sony HT-K250 and Panasonic SC-HT15 (with AM/FM tuner)...anywhere still selling these?
Initially, I was considering a Philips Cineos HTS9800W (Home Cinema System), but what they like to keep quiet about that 'thing' is - it cannot accept a 5.1 input from an external source!!!!11!1!! P.S. Those 2 amp/speaker sets seem to have disappeared. How about these Sony ones? (But not the HT-SF1100, a bit too pricey for me) Do Panasonic have a new amp/surround combi?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts