Tannoy DC6T Upgrade?

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Ok I know its best to go and listen for myself, Richers are doing these for now for £550 which seems a good deal

But the shops visted so far have not had them in or had a demo pair set up,

Having decided its time for a change of speaker will these be an upgrade from my trusty AcousticEnergy evo3 or will they be just a sideways step??. Also planning on listening to the MS Aviano 8 as they are on offer also at £500, Would I be wasting my time (and money) with the Avianos in particular

should I just keep the AE's

Amp is Marantz PM7001

You probably don't want to hear this but you have to hear all three speakers for yourself. Each of them will give you something different, and only you will know which ones put the biggest smile on your face.

Once the 'right' speaker has been identified, ask for a home dem.

One needs to take into consideration room acoustics, size of room, type of music... therefore star rating/reputations can go out of the window.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
well, i did manage a brief demo yessterday, of the aviano 8 and compared them to some MA bx5 on the end of a cryus sytem....not convinced at all :? ! could be the poor acoustics of the shop floor and poor recordings, very underwhelmed with most of the tracks I heard . Need to take my own amp and CDs and listen to those Tannoys with a proper demo, going on past experience of hearing Tannoys I should not be dissappointed

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Well in terms of price, both the Avanio's and DC6T's have had similar drops - from £750 to £500 in the case of the Avanio 8's and £800 to £550 in the case of the Tannoys so in bald sale terms both are probably an equally good price right now. When I got my Avanio's there was very little to compare at around the £500 that I could demo (the DC6T reduction is mopre recent), and I suspect that had they been that price when WHF did the review rather than £750 then they would have easily got the 5 stars.

Anyway, I've been perfectly happy with them, a big step up from my previous Celestion 15's, but if you do find somewhere to listen to them side by side with the DC6T's I would be most interested in your comments!

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
My ae evo3s were replaced with mezzo8s. ms give 60day return. Suggest mezzo 6 may suit? Other kit, room size & layout, taste in music, source may guide choice. I am happy with ms 5.1 setup but home demo is vital imo to move up from very decent speakers to rather/slightly better ones.

Good luck

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Captain Duff said:
Well in terms of price, both the Avanio's and DC6T's have had similar drops - from £750 to £500 in the case of the Avanio 8's and £800 to £550 in the case of the Tannoys so in bald sale terms both are probably an equally good price right now. When I got my Avanio's there was very little to compare at around the £500 that I could demo (the DC6T reduction is mopre recent), and I suspect that had they been that price when WHF did the review rather than £750 then they would have easily got the 5 stars.

Anyway, I've been perfectly happy with them, a big step up from my previous Celestion 15's, but if you do find somewhere to listen to them side by side with the DC6T's I would be most interested in your comments!

i really wanted to like the avianos they look pretty good, I am going to find a richers that has both the avianos and Tannoys in stock so I can compare them with my marantz . I have a feeling the shop enviroment was not the best, maybee my marantz amp will bring out that big controlled bass the avianos are supposed to do well 8) . Not a fan of cyrus sound anyway.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
took my amp into the shop, listened to aviano8 again, sounded fuller this time, very good infact, then tried BX5 , very punchy and focused. much better than the previous BR5 which sounded bland to me but seemd not that much better than my current speakers, unfortuanty there where no dc6t on hand to demo, so in came the B&W 684, very nice,refined musical but over budget ...then I noticed some BX6 loved the look of these monsters, and loved the sound even more,IMO better than the B&W's , what struck me was the openess and neutrality of the mids, I expected these big bruisers to fudge that but the powerful bass gelled well, vocals where very good indeed, a definate notch up from the evo3 , a little above budget but a deal at 600 quid ..sold, thank god my room can handle these beasts

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
I wonder how bx6's compare to MS8's. They 'look' similar but how do they sound?

not sure which speakers you are refereing to there (Morduant Shorts) ?

i really did not think i would come away from the shop with MA speakers having heard BR5 a while ago they were sonically boring and looked cheaply built compared to my AE's, but the BX6 are a different beast, playing Hedonism by stoosh anasie (I hope you're happy now) rocked the place down but keeping things controlled , an appropriate lyric as I am certanly happy with these,

Still curious as to how those tannoys sound, anyone got them or compared then to other floorstanders, WHF rave about them, but then again they raved about the BR5 , which I found wanting

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Sorry never heard the mezzo range, I would imagine the mezzo8 to improve on the BX6 in the treble department, maybe more refined? RX8 from MA would be their equivelent I suppose, the BX6 is probably more comparable to the Aviano8 , which is aslo a good full bodied listen but lacked a little something compared to BX6 not quite letting their hair down and opening up as the MA's. Collecting the MA's in a few days , cant wait.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Sorry. Yes Mordaunt Short Mezzo 8's. Good luck with yr search.

Cheers

well the search a ended 8) , the BX6 it is,

not seen any reviews for these so my listening session was complety unbiased, i went in the demo with an open mind and to my ears they were very good,

motto..trust your own ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts