Talktalk vs Sky/Virgin

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Robin

I've been with TalkTalk since they took over NIldram (about 3-4 years ago).

They have been consistently good and recently upgraded our exchange so I now get true 13Mb download speed but I only pay £2.50pm plus line rental.

I'm very happy.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks x-dad.. I wondered about their tv package/hardware too. I currently have their xl tv + film, broadband & anytime. Total £75pm which does seem steep. I do value the HD & DD channels..Cheers

A

Anonymous

I currently have BT Infinity (half the speed they promised vs. expectations) and am going to Talk Talk as soon as my contract is up. £10 cheaper. I'm presently paying about £40 for phone line, broadband and they even charge £2 a month now for calls after 7pm and weekends! I thionk they're going to charge £1.75 a month for caller display too! Rip off. Shame I haven't got cable in my area.

nick12

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It's well documented that TalkTalk is one of the most complained about providers with consistently low levels of customer satisfaction.

Personally, I'd never put money into Murdoch's pocket so that rules out Sky for me. I've never had any major problems with Virgin in over 6 years - any issues have always been resolved extremely quickly and efficiently. Last time I ran a speed check my broadband speed was 111Mb (I pay for 100Mb) and my upload speed was 11.5Mb.

RobinKidderminster said:
All comments so far taken onboard thanks. I would like also to hear from happy customers esp., Talktalk.. :cheers:

Well, at a guess, happy Talktalk customers will say happy things about it, that's why they're happy. :)

It's clear to me that you've made up your mind already, and just want reassurance that you're doing the right thing. ;)

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been with TalkTalk for 18 months, previously with BT for the phone and Orange for the (free) broadband

I had some initial issues with them, mainly that their Huawei router, which is OK but for some reason not good on Wi Fi with anything with an apple logo on it! (fixed that issue by putting their router into modem only mode, and using an airport extreme and an airport express as we have a considerable footprint in which to get the signal over!)

Apparently their customer service is shocking..... I have to confess I haven't had any dealings with their helpline (based abroad) as they also have a UK based forum which is quite honestly very very good, you'll find it at www.talktalkmembers.com

Price wise, I pay £7 a month for unlimited 18Mbps broadband, and anytime calls (yes, you did read that correctly) Line rental works out at £10 a month (or so) if you pay a year in advance, which is what I do (saves you £70 a year I think as opposed to paying by direct debit)

I hear horror stories about all telecoms providers, I think they are all much of a muchness, but if you want no frills and want to keep the bills down then TalkTalk are probably your best bet.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I joined virgin last may and have had so many issues with there service in fact so bad they have let me end my contract early i am now going back to sky and would not ever go back to virgin

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Thanks MrW. Notice u have Sky HD too..I need to cost that as an option too. Cheers

Yes, we have the Entertainment Extra + pack, 12 month deal, £16 a month

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I have been with Talk Talk for many years now i think about 6 years now,

I have had a couple of issues though very small and yes when contacting there helpline it can be a nightmare but saying that i have discounts and even when it wasn't Talk Talks fault they still helped with the problem. One problem i needed a new phoneline into the house and i remember the bill being something over the £100 mark and i never did see the bill as Talk Talk paid for it.

I now have the TV package, the box is a little slow but it does work, overall i would say it does the job not as slick as Sky or Virgin but obviously that shows in the monthly price

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Robin,

I have Virgin in Kidder and I am told my broadband will double to 100 meg in a few months. I was fed up with 1 meg and the cost of sky. I use freesat mainly but my wife likes virgin in the one room and its the same price with the broadband. i usually get brtween 40- 50 meg.

Best wishes

Chris

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Chris.. I am not too worried about speed. I have 5-6mb with Sky and dont do big downloads. Glad an old thread was awakened since my options are for the longer term. If ever Sky want money for repair or replacement I want an escape route planned.

I guess my main requirement is a decent range of HD channels and the best audio. The reason I left Virgin a few years back was because they could not tell me when they were planning to transmit DD sound on their (then few) HD channels.

Cheers

jjbomber

chrisup said:
I have Virgin in Kidder and I am told my broadband will double to 100 meg in a few months.

Chris

It's January next year for me. I just hate it when Virgin advertise they are doubling the speed for free and then they put in the small print that it is January 2015.

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Robin,

I see you also have Garrard 86SB as well but Ialso have a Rega Planar 3. Visited Brum and went to Superfi and heard the Australian Yamaha RVX1073 with £2000 Kef floorstanders sounded a bit good. I was interested in the new B&W 685s but they they are expected this week. I have B&W 685 Theatre with my Onkyo 905.

Best wishes

Chris
YAMAHA RXV1073YAMAHA RXV1073

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi Chris. I guess.the 1073 is similar (tho newer) to my 2065. Fairly pleased with my setup tho my MS Mezzo 8's are rather large in my small room. Nearly went for B&W but £2200 for MS seemed decent. Have u compared the 86sb with yr modern deck? And what cartridge do u use? Cheers.

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Its in Kent at the moment and it had a shure cartridge and is used with a Rotel receiver and Rank Domus speakers. I persuded my parents to upgrade from a Philips radiogram in the 70s when I was at school in Droitwich. Most of friends wanted to buy my kit when I upgraded again. I sold my Garrard Zero 100 and Sony amp and bought my Nytech 252, Rega Planar 3 and my Mordaunt Short Pagent 2s.It took 3 years of Summer jobs in Brintons, Morgan Crucible and others to get the Nytech system. I bought them in Grahams HiFI who were in Pentonville Road I wanted to listen to the Planar 2 but listened to Planar 3 and was smitten thank god there was 5 month waiting list as I had to earn the money first!! It still works perfecly to this day although I have had the Rega Seviced. Why change when I am delighted with what I have!

Best Wishes

Chris

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Check the number of HD channels available and whether that's enough for you. My father has Talk Talk and has been happy with their service and price, but the number of HD channels are pretty measly. It might depend on precisely which channels you tend to watch most often and which package you choose - so just check this out before signing on the dotted line.

Why in 2014 are we still paying a premium for HD? How long have HDTV's been available now?? It makes the possibility of 4k sound years away and seems to negate the value of spending a fair bit of dosh on a large HD TV when you'll only be playing SD through it.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Sky gives people the most HD channels in the uk,but its like most things you get what you pay for,and there catch up tv service and box sets on demand with the added benifit of Dolby digital + on there Hd offerings.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts