Talk to me about ATV3 :-)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Needing a headsup on what this can (and cannot) do, guys.

Up in our bedroom we've got a Samsung LE32R74BD connected to a DVD player. SWMBO has been pestering me to get a second aerial up on the roof for ages so we can watch live TV in bed. But that seems so 20th century.

What about an ATV3? If I connect it to my network using wireless (or a homeplug) could we watch live TV and catch-up TV from the main channels via iPlayer? Also would it be able to 'see' my iTunes media that I share across the household network from my always-on Mac Mini? Specifically films? Seems very hard to find out precisely what it does and I can't fnd anywhere which will just let me borrow one.

Thanks a lot!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Nah that's not really what I want to do

chebby said:
I don't think ATV3 does BBC iPlayer 'natively' (unless you mirror it from an iThing via AirPlay).

I could be wrong.

Ah right. That would be a deal-breaker for me then as iPlayer was a primary reason for buying it. That and streaming from my Mac Mini downstairs

Just as well I asked. I made the silly mistake of thinking iPlayer's inclusion was a no-brainer.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok so ATV is dead in the water because Apple's little microcosm doesn't recognise iPlayer/ITV Player/4OD etc. Probably it was developed by one of the 60% of Americans who apparently can't find Britain on a map...[/xenophobe mode]

Anyhow...any other ideas for small AV streamers (upto about £100) with a HDMI-out and which will play iPlayer, YouTube, and stream movies from my Mac across the network (AVI, MPEG, MKV and MP4 etc)?

(Maybe I'm better starting a new thread for this...)

Cheers!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Any in particular ones you'd highly rate?

Not that I really need the BD functionality: if I could save money by buying something which did everything I want and not BD, I'd go for that instead.

MajorFubar said:
Ok so ATV is dead in the water because Apple's little microcosm doesn't recognise iPlayer/ITV Player/4OD etc. Probably it was developed by one of the 60% of Americans who apparently can't find Britain on a map...[/xenophobe mode]

Anyhow...any other ideas for small AV streamers (upto about £100) with a HDMI-out and which will play iPlayer, YouTube, and stream movies from my Mac across the network (AVI, MPEG, MKV and MP4 etc)?

(Maybe I'm better starting a new thread for this...)

Cheers!

I'm very happy with my Boxee box. Check this thread:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/which-media-streamer-boxee-tv-jailbroken-apple-tv-or-something-else

daveh75

A Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc or OpenELEC.

Will play most formats (no support for HD audio yet though) and you'll need a license for MPEG-2 (a couple of quid from http://www.raspberrypi.com/)

There are plugins for iPlayer/ITV Player/4oD/Demand 5 and YT, will even do Airplay if thats your thing...

There's currently about a 3 week wait to get one, from element14, though considerably quicker than RS

John Duncan

MajorFubar said:
Any in particular ones you'd highly rate?

Not that I really need the BD functionality: if I could save money by buying something which did everything I want and not BD, I'd go for that instead.

Noted, but tbh most of the media players are a bit more expensive than bluray players that offer the same thing, AFAICT. There is the Sony Media box that seems to be going for about £75, which might suit, but check that it has all the on-deman services that you need (it has iPlayer but cna't speak for ITV Player or 4OD).

BB's Boxee Box does look very functional though , and is half the price it used to be.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Good leads, thanks all. It's just an embryonic idea atm. She's been pestering for an aerial in there for ages and I ended up thinking "it's 2012, is there not a more hi-tec way of doing this than getting another aerial on the roof or a signal splitter?". First thing I thought of was an ATV, but clearly that's a no-no; the lack of at least iPlayer is a really glaring ommission.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts