Taking a risk....................

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So I currently have an A85/P85 combo..... which I love, just never had anything as quality as that, and I do not understand people who say that it sounds boring.... it brings music alive (in my opinion).....

Anyway.... I am selling it. I have 5 hours before the golden deadline of going under 24 hours on Ebay (you cannot finish the auction after that). The reason is that I just bought a FMJ A32/P35 integrated and power amp..... it was sold as spares or repair on Ebay. It cost £257. I know that Arcam will get them up and running for £120 per unit, as long as they have not been struck by lightening (the seller was very vague, but it was in a vague way, rather than a knowing, evil way).

Still it is a risk..... and I love my A85/P85...........

Would you take this type of risk?

Kinds words of support welcomed.... as are nasty comments that bring me to my senses...... anything really.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Can you afford to have the A32/P35 repaired by Arcam without selling the A85/P85? I mean, do you have £240 in spare folding?

If so, I'd kill the Ebay auction, have the A32/P35 repaired, then compare the two. That way you have the benefit of your current amps while the newly-bought ones are being repaired, and the opportunity to decide at leisure which to keep and which to sell.

And also, should Arcam open up the A32/P35 and find they have been struck by lightning and can't be repaired, you'll still have amps to use while you rue the £257 you spent on your first risky move...

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:i'd cancel it until i have the other repaired and returned - just incase a) they can't fix it or b) it takes them a month or so for parts and things

I have to sell the A85 to afford the A32...... I have a Cambridge Audio pre/power in the cupboard... which is a bit crackly but will fill the gap.

Arcam will not have to await parts, they are a UK manufacturer who builds in the UK, they will have the parts. The service dept will take 2 weeks maximum.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Ah right, well in that case you've kinda answered your own question...

Mmmmm perhaps I can borrow the money though.... your first answer definitely has merit. I think that I am doing the right thing here, although the A85 is five star and the A32 was no where near that..... I have 4 hours before the deadline and if I can find a way to keep the A85/P85, whilst Arcam weave their magic on the A32/P35, I will.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
bloatedgut:
matengawhat:i'd cancel it until i have the other repaired and returned - just incase a) they can't fix it or b) it takes them a month or so for parts and things

I have to sell the A85 to afford the A32...... I have a Cambridge Audio pre/power in the cupboard... which is a bit crackly but will fill the gap.

Arcam will not have to await parts, they are a UK manufacturer who builds in the UK, they will have the parts. The service dept will take 2 weeks maximum.

i'd wouldn't be 100% sure that Arcam will have all the parts - i had to briefly wait for a hdmi unit (system was 1 week old) and also they couldn't send me a new unit as had non in stock - had to wait two weeks but then they sent me a new unit

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just to throw a (small) spanner in to the works and further to my posting in Andy Kerrs 'We need your help' thread ... just upgrading to a higher model up in the range/something more expensive does'nt necesseraly guarantee success. In Arcam's case it probably holds true as I find the latest A38 better than the A28 and the company seems to have a fairly consistent house sound but as I said, if you 'love' the sound of your current system, why change it. Especially if there are unknown factors such as repairs and funds are tight. I appreciate the price for the two is good but it also beggs the question why the seller did'nt repair them and increase his sales profits.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:Just to throw a (small) spanner in to the works and further to my posting in Andy Kerrs 'We need your help' thread ... just upgrading to a higher model up in the range/something more expensive does'nt necesseraly guarantee success. In Arcam's case it probably holds true as I find the latest A38 better than the A28 and the company seems to have a fairly consistent house sound but as I said, if you 'love' the sound of your current system, why change it. Especially if there are unknown factors such as repairs and funds are tight. I appreciate the price for the two is good but it also beggs the question why the seller did'nt repair them and increase his sales profits.

Just spoke to the seller on the phone, he sounds well nice and genuine.... and he had no idea what he had. I guess the reason for the change is that you are investing in the idea that although your system is good, it could be better........

I have just ended the listing of my A85/P85.... I will try and fund all this whilst keeping my A85/P85 near, at least I can then (as Andrew says) compare and decide which combo to let go.......

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:just looked at items on ebay - think i would have run a mile from them except to chop them up or spares - think these could be a bottomless pit to put right

What gives me the confidence to buy them is that I have dealt with Arcam's service department...... they are second to none, in my opinion.

I know that I will pay them a one off fee per unit and they will put whatever is wrong with that unit right.......

My only worry is that the P35 fascia is brushed steel - I do not think that Arcam made a brush steel finish (Mr. Everard?)..... I have already been told that the reason that Arcam would not be able to repair is if the units had had a lightning strike, because that cooks all the electronics..... well I know that they have not had that.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
never seen a brushed steel finish - maybe a black one that has had the colour stripped off????

well if works out for you will be a bargain just keep your fingers crossed than nothing has been stripped out - did arcam say they fix for a fixed price would be good to know moving forward?

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:never seen a brushed steel finish - maybe a black one that has had the colour stripped off????

well if works out for you will be a bargain just keep your fingers crossed than nothing has been stripped out - did arcam say they fix for a fixed price would be good to know moving forward?

In general Arcam have a flat rate for repairing and servicing equipment (it is different for different units types - cd/av/2 channel amp/etc). There are things that can challenge that flat rate.... but they are extreme and rare...... it is, of course, a so and so if you simply want them to give your Alpha 7 amp a spruce up..... but if you have more high-end equipment it is a god send.

I only got into hi fi within the last 6-8 months.... and the quality of Arcam, the great sound, the value for money and their customer service means that I am totally hooked...... to me they are like Lotus were when Colin Chapman was in charge. Supreme market leaders, value for money and just quality from manufacture to after sales.......... and British!

The analogy might break down here..... but the current fastest car around the Top Gear test track is basically a Lotus Seven, and that beat all the other ridiculous, over powered and over priced 'super'(???) cars that come from all corners of the globe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts