Systems - style or quality or both??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I went into a well known high street av shop yesterday and listened to the monitor audio rs5's. Great speakers and the ones i am going to choose. What about my amp/cd choice. Well it was partenered by the arcam solo in the demo room. I went into the shop fully intending to buy a cd/amp combo rather than a 'style'product. The other half was impresses with the solo and liked the fact that it was one box but in terms of quality is this piece of kit the right choice considering its price or can I put together a better system for that sort of money??

Any advice would be appreciated

A

Anonymous

If you liked it and it had the wife's seal of approval, I think you know the answer!

A

Anonymous

i'd look at the Cyrus CD6 and 6vs2 amp as an alternative, some good deals on this combination £995 at vickers Hi Fi.... but not to sure how it would sound with the monitor audio's...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
That Cyrus combination would indeed outperform the Solo in all areas (well, apart from lack of DAB radio and iPod connectivity...), while taking up the same, if not less, space. But Cyrus and Monitor Audio don't typically happy system-fellows make - all a little too energetic at the top end of things.

In our opinion, the Arcam Solo is the least compromised of all the one-box products around that price, though there is still a style/convenience premium - you could buy better sound for less money if you opted for separates.

But as long as you appreciate that trade-off - and you (and your other half) enjoy the sound and looks, go for it.

A

Anonymous

I've had a good think about things today and reckon im going to leave the Arcam Solo alone. It was gong to push my budget and I prefer the long term aspect of a seperates system. Probably going to look at the Nad combinations or if I can push the budget possibly the Cyrus stuff.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Dont forget that these compact systems have built in tuners, worth another 200 quid. Some also have pre-outs so are not entirely dead end, on the other hand the cyrus 6's, nice as they are are not upgradeable unless factory done. I have a listen to primares CDI10 tomorrow as I need an all-in-one for another place and dont like Arcam's Solo.

A

Anonymous

I'm thinking about getting my dad a Solo Mini for his birthday, but I don't know what speakers to buy...I was thinking B&W 686 (they have to be small to get mum's approval) but they have a 84db sensitivity...they would be close to a wall too...

A

Anonymous

Even tho Cyrus is only upgradable via factory, if you decide later in life you want to change your cd player or amp at least you wont have to slice the arcam in half and upset your wife! just a thought!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts